NOTE FOR FRUIT EATERS

Elle - have you been told at group to point it if you have more than one portion?

I do find it odd!! Oh well, like you, I've been eating lots of it and losing so I'll see how I go.

Nope - and as a newbie i thought this would be mentioned.

My leader just encourages us to eat a wide variety - so healthy oils, protein, veg, fruit and carbs.

x

well... I eat 1 or 2 large apples, 1 glass of orange juice (1pp), 1 banana, 300g cherry tomatoes, veggies with my lunch AND with my dinner and 150g of blackberries every day with my meals and I have been constantly losing...

Lucky you!

Keep at it then. Others won't lose weight if eating too much fruit. We all metabolise food in different ways!

Ok, I've just had a response from WW on twitter. They say that you can eat more than "one portion of fruit" at 0pp and to eat within a balanced diet. So the pointing seems to be misinformation, and we should be listening to our body when we are full. We are all different and some can eat more fruit, personally I only eat a banana a day unless I'm going to circuits when I have another one and have 2 or 3 other pieces during the day.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

I think that eating lots of fruit is good, but I think what is meant is that for example a small banana is 95 calories, so technically that is like two points IF it was counted, so if you eat 3 bananas a day for example that's 6 points worth of calories...which eventually adds up if you are eating that plus more like an apple, some strawberries etc. But i mean if you can eat tons of fruit and still lose weight then that's awesome! :)

I think what we are all forgetting ladies is that wws will have made some accommodations for this in the diet, particularly as the points have dropped from 29 to 26! Chill it's the weekend!

Personally I think that common sense prevails here. If we're all honest we didn't join WW or SW or any other "diet" because we ate too much fruit. If we eat 8 pieces of fruit in one day rather than 4 pieces and 2 mars bars because we're genuinely hungry then that can only be a good thing.

Like others have said, if you're hungry eat it, if you stop losing/don't lose then it's something to look into. :flowers:

As others have said WW has taken into account all the 0pp foods in with our daily points.

To start pointing fruit, you might as well say good bye to Propoints and say hello Discovery

Fruit is free and should be your first choice when picking your foods/snacks. It's simply down to eating in moderation, eating till you're full and satisfied.

It's all down to common sense.

Plus with PP I cant see how you can point fruit with the 40cals = 1points rule. The formula gives you 0pp and i thought the rule is really only for things like biscuits, crisps, cakes.

Last edited:
The problem is for all the people that go to meetings all leaders say different things, one will say..
Do simply filling / don't do simply filling
Use all your 49 weeklies / dont use them
Your on 35pp a day try and use them all/ you don't need to use them all
Eat as much fruit as you want / try and limit it to a few peices a day

All leaders have there own Way, they may have loads people that have problem with there 49 weeklies do generally tell people not to use them all ... Everyone should just go with what they fill and ok for them

Firstly, the ''5 a day''guideline is a minimum based on what the government thought it could plausibly convince people here to eat by way of fruit and veg; some other countries are the same, but some have higher daily recommendations. For example, in NZ the campaign is ''five plus'', the WHO minimum is 400g, the USDA recommend between 4 and 13 servings a day depending on the individual, averaging it at 2cups of fruit and 2.5 of vegetable (an average serve is a handful, so 1\3 to 1/2 cup).

Regarding WW, the key is just to be sensible. Listen to your body's satiety levels and stop when you're satisfied, even with 0-pointed food. Use fruit as a supplement to, not a substitute for, your meals.
Obviously everyone has to find what works for them, but do make sure you eat some because we need it for nutrition purposes! WW has already accounted for it in their calculations, with the daily allowance you're given and the way other food values are calculated and rounded.

CLH_X3 said:
The problem is for all the people that go to meetings all leaders say different things, one will say..
Do simply filling / don't do simply filling
Use all your 49 weeklies / dont use them
Your on 35pp a day try and use them all/ you don't need to use them all
Eat as much fruit as you want / try and limit it to a few peices a day

All leaders have there own Way, they may have loads people that have problem with there 49 weeklies do generally tell people not to use them all ... Everyone should just go with what they fill and ok for them

There shouldn't really be this sort of discrepancy, it's pretty poor. Find a leader who has good weight loss stats (do they have Diamond Leader over here?) and trust them, I guess.

WW really needed to make fruit free as the previous Discovery system encouraged people to eat empty-food i.e WW cake bars etc instead of snacking on fruit. I remember that I found it difficult to get my 5-a-day in when I was on Discovery. We all know we should be eating in moderation. I think leaders are keen to encourage us to eat a more balanced diet so that we can maintain good habits when we inevitably stop doing WW.

I don't think it's fair to say the plan is 'wrong' or 'poor' because some leaders are advising us to use caution with regards to the 0point rule. I have met some people on WW who use the Opt rule to supplement the diet and some people who happily munch all day on strawberries, grapes etc and are probably still taking in huge amounts of sugar. We know we should be careful with how much we eat - no matter what it is. As someone has already said - none of us are here because we over indulged on fruit. We're here because we over-indulge full stop which is why we need to exert self control over all food, not just the junk.

As I don't like fruit,full stop.I found discovery plan with eating lots of no point veg has worked for me and after 106.5 lbs loss I will defo be sticking with what I'm doing :)

HoneyBee: you don't like ANY fruit?!

I agree completely with Dopey Angel, I think she has it spot on. Snacking on fruit, even if it is sugar (in the form of fructose), is much better than snacking on biscuits or ww ice creams. Whether or not we pointed it on the old programme or have it as 0 on propoints, we need to eat it as part of a varied and nutritious diet, and I think the new programme is much better at encouraging that. It's also a good way of starting to teach us to listen to our bodies and learn when we're full.

Back