Now feels like I'm eating too much- what do other people think?

frankied

Silver Member
I only lost 0.5lbs on Thursday's weigh in (second time out of four) I guess I expected more esp. for first few weeks I didn't expect any 0.5's considering how overweight I am. My Consultant suggested I might not have been eating enough (after I said I feel guilty and have stopped eating between meals) and told me to eat more and snack more on free foods, to worry less about the 1/3 rule and to keep a food diary but looking at my food diary I now feel like I'm eating way too much to loose any weight. I just wanted other people's thoughts on what I ate yesterday and if other people also think way too much to loose any weight.(My BMR is 1920 cals, and I do go for desant walks)

I got up too late for breakfast (this happens a lot) just me being me

Lunch-
Muller light yoghurt, Nimble wholemeal bread x2-HEB extra light flora spread two level tsps,- 1 syn Marmite, Raspberries half pack, 4 Strawberries, Light mini babybel x3- HEA, small tin of spaghetti hoops

Dinner-SW chips (about 3 baking potatoes worth), 2 small grilled chicken breasts, punnet of blackberries( before), 2 raw mushrooms (before), Ketchup 3 level tbsps- 3 syns

Snacks- 4 Strawberries, Half pack of raspberries, funsize mars- 4 syns, funsize milky way-3.5 syns, funsize magic stars 3.5syns, tin of no sugar sweetcorn, 2 spoons of virtually fat free cottage cheese

Total Syns- 15
(I really feel I need my chocs and 15 syns to not blow it)

Last edited:
sounds 2 me like ur eatin loads of ss foods so a bit confusing:/ maybe hav a hot chocolate(or 2)lol when u want sum chocolatyness, or try having just 1 funsize chocolate bar, that might be why the weight loss is quite slow. the less syns u hav a day the quicker the weight loss, but nobody said have no syns! lol xoxo

the less syns u hav a day the quicker the weight loss, but nobody said have no syns! lol xoxo
This only seems to be true for some people. Personally, the closer I get to my full syn allowance, the more I seem to loose. It confuses even me, but even our C told us that this can be the case for some people.

In the same beat, I'm not using mine on chocolate. My syns will usually go on things the acompany a meal. So, maybe this is why.

Anyway, back to the point in question. It looks to me like you're getting plenty of superfree and superspeed foods. And you're using your HE's up, which is good (I find it hard to get mine in sometimes).

No, you're definitely not eating too much at all. If you feel you need that chocolate to help you stick to it, then by all means have it. Just so long as it doesn't push you over syn allowance, it's fine. After all, that's what the syns are there for.

Remember, don't be scared to eat, especially if it's superfree ans superspeed food.

the less syns u hav a day the quicker the weight loss

Not true - even if you were having no syns at all you would only be using 1400 to 2100 calories less a week, so not even enough for a one pound loss.

To the OP, No I don't think you are eating too much. The only thing I would ask is whether you really needed that many chips, after all would you have sat down and eaten three baked potatoes?

And breakfast is an important meal so I would try and get out of the habit of missing it.

Last edited:
Although you are eating lots of free foods and super free fruit, however your meals seem to be missing super free veg? Are you making sure that you are having 1/3 of your plate filled with sf? Although fruit is super free, it is higher in sugar and calories than veg, so it is important to have a balance, not relying purely on fruit for your sf element

Hope that makes sense

X

I would say replace some of the chips for salad so your plate has a third chips, a third chicken and a third salad. You have a lovely variety of foods :0) xx

Maybe you could set your alarm and get up earlier so that you can have breakfast each day. Having 3 meals throughout the day plus some snacks will help your metabolism and maybe speed up weight loss a bit. It is an important meal of the day. I used to skip breakfast all the time but now i make sure i have it all the time.
I dont think you are eating too much but as others have said, maybe less chips and replace with some super free food?

Although you are eating lots of free foods and super free fruit, however your meals seem to be missing super free veg? Are you making sure that you are having 1/3 of your plate filled with sf? Although fruit is super free, it is higher in sugar and calories than veg, so it is important to have a balance, not relying purely on fruit for your sf element

Hope that makes sense

X

Same to Daisyboo's and sm1ler's replies

My consultant has told me to worry less about the 1/3 rule and eat more free foods hence the extra chips as she thought I probably wasn't eating enough before- body reacting with 'starvation mode'. But looking over my new food diary I was worrying though that it has too many calories in to loose any weight.

Everyone here thinks that you are not eating too much - so try not to get too uptight about it - stress can make your body hold onto the pounds as well. If you were eating because you were hungry and not eating to the point of feeling stuffed then I'm sure you will be fine.

Thanks for the replies- I can get uptight about it and over worried about eating too much- so leaving it when still felt kinda hungry.
But as everyone feels it's not too much I'll try to relax about it abit more! :)

No, you're definately not eating too much to lose weight. You would need to consume at least 3200 extra calories to gain just 1 pound. That's on top of the calories your body requires. And you're not even coming close.

The thing to remember about Slimming World is that it's not like other "diets" that ecourage starvation and try to teach you that you can't possibly lose weight if you feel satisfied and not hungry. It teaches you a heathy way of eating and that we can eat what we want, in moderation.

breakfast is the key.. think of it as starting the car to defrost it first thing in the morning..

even if it's getting up for 20 mins to grab a bowl of weetabix or scrambled egg and a banana.. it gets the metabolism going again..

as for the 3200 cals extra to gain 1lb.. that's over a week.. not every day..
if you have 3200 cals extra each day then you'll gain 1lb a day...

sometimes those 15 syns ( 300 cals ) can make the difference..
if you're only having 1200-1300 cals a day from regular meals then you're not having enough so those extra 300 can put you into the 1500-1600 range where you lose weight..

Based on this one days diary I would possibly suggest cutting down the amount of potatoes. By this I mean- I see you had 3 baked potatoes worth of SW chips. Although SW chips are free that is a lot of potato. I used to make 2 big potatoes worth of wedges and then I started to realised I don't NEED 2 potatoes worth, I was satisifed with 1 potatoes worth. So try cutting down to 2 potatoes worth of chips and see if it helps.

Also Sweetcorn is not a superspeed food. Instead of snacking on sweetcorn you could replace that with carrot sticks and a minty yoghurt dip? (FF plain yog + about a tsp sugar free mint sauce + cucumber chopped up small makes a nice raita style dip)

Good luck :)

At a rough guess I think you are not eating enough. Also, most of what you are eating is concentrated towards the end of the day. My losses slow when I do either of these things.

I started at quite a high weight and wasn't too strict about the 1/3 superfree rule, because I just didn't eat enough calories if I did that. As I am losing I try to do it more. I also have things like Mug Shots for a morning snack to get the calories up a bit, then I can swap for fruit as I lose the weight.

At an estimate I think you are probably only eating around 1600 cals a day which is well less than your BMR. Remember that isn't the amount you need to eat in a day - that's just the amount your body needs to function (ie laying in bed breathing and without taking into account an activity). Going below that will slow your losses.

Try and eat something when you get up, even its just a yogurt or cereal bar for quickness. It will get your metablolism moving so you burn more overall. Try and eat more during the day, then you might find you don't need 3 potatoes at your evening meal. Eating the same earlier in the day will give you the energy you need when you need it. Your fruit snacks are lovely but they are all very low in cals - swap some for grapes, apples or a banana? I would even be tempted to say a Mugshot or similar won't do you any harm for now.

I can easily eat just 1500 cals a day and not feel hungry on SW but I know it isn't enough and I don't tend to lose weight when I do that. I need to eat more.

That sounds yummy - will def add sf mint sauce to next week's shopping list to give that one a try!
It's also goes nice with SW curries ;) (I also tend to have it with poppadums which are 2-2.5 syns each usually) You can have a good curry night with SW curry, rice, poppadums and dip :)

It's also goes nice with SW curries ;) (I also tend to have it with poppadums which are 2-2.5 syns each usually) You can have a good curry night with SW curry, rice, poppadums and dip :)

That sounds fab :D and a squillian syns less than the indian meal we had out yesterday - oops :sigh:

Back