O/T Crossing over to the dark side.....

Blondee x

Evening all!

I'm in need of your help. I am moving out in September to my first flat alone in London (yay!). Trouble is that it's rather pricey in the big smoke and I'm concerned that I will not be able to afford to maintain my blonde locks and keep a roof over my head :(

sooooo (I'm getting to the point I promise!) I'm thinking of going brunette so that I can maintain it myself using home dye kits. I used to use blonde home dye kits when I was younger and hated the slightly orangey colour I'd be left with until it settled down. I'm naturally dark blonde and I have quite dark eyebrows so I think I could carry it off......

Have any of y'all gone from blonde to brunette? Are you glad or sad that you did? If you have and decided to go back to blonde was it a nightmare to do? Please give me your opinion!!:D

hi totally not an answer to your q but was just wondering where ur moving to?
xxx

I used to be very blonde as a child but my hair started to darken as I got older so I had it highlighted. I stopped bleaching it about 9 years ago and have never looked back. My hair is in such great condition and it's now quite long (halfway down my back).

I wouldn't go back to blonde in all honesty. I get lots of compliments on my hair and I'm really happy with it.

Im a natural blonde and dyed my hair black few years ago and never looked back so easy to maintain with home dye kits very easy with dark colours hun xx

I have gone brunette before hun... I think it made me look more striking and did like it, but in my mind i am a blonde person and being dark made me felt like i disappeared! Random but thats how I found it! Have attached 2 piccies so u can see the diff (bear in mind I have lost 3 stone between the dark and now (blonde)).

It is a fab way of saving money tho! x

Attachments

• Pictures of me 131.jpg
    Pictures of me 131.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Pictures of me 034.jpg
    Pictures of me 034.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 72
hey klee! (my sister calls herself that! :D) Well, I used to live between Putney and Southfields so at the moment looking in that area and viewing some flats in Wimbledon this weekend :) south west basically. where in Wandsworth are you? (if you dont mind me asking)

I used to be very blonde as a child but my hair started to darken as I got older so I had it highlighted. I stopped bleaching it about 9 years ago and have never looked back. My hair is in such great condition and it's now quite long (halfway down my back).

I wouldn't go back to blonde in all honesty. I get lots of compliments on my hair and I'm really happy with it.

Thanks so much hun, I'm exactly the same, started dying it as it got darker with age. My hair is very long and in quite good condition but I can feel it starting to dry out a little and dark hair always looks so shiny and healthy :)

Im a natural blonde and dyed my hair black few years ago and never looked back so easy to maintain with home dye kits very easy with dark colours hun xx

Thank you hun, you're so lucky being a natural blonde! :) see that's what I was hoping, that it would be really easy to maintain myself cos I will be doing reception work and I cant be sat there with dark roots hehe

I have gone brunette before hun... I think it made me look more striking and did like it, but in my mind i am a blonde person and being dark made me felt like i disappeared! Random but thats how I found it! Have attached 2 piccies so u can see the diff (bear in mind I have lost 3 stone between the dark and now (blonde)).

Wannabeslim you are stunning girl! :) You def suit both looks but you have hit the nail on the head with one thing that I was thinking and that's my blonde 'identity', I think I would really miss it :( I am thinking about the all the money I would save though....

p.s congrats on the amazing weight loss hun!

Thanks hun! Yeah I really do feel like a blonde on the inside :) but especially over the winter months being brunette for a while helped me out when I was short on money. Plus its more natural to be dark-haired in winter and blonder in summer, so what I have taken to doing is going brunette in october and then gradually going blonde again using highlights from around march. That way my hair gets a break for 6 months, so does my bank account, and then I feel all happy and summery when I can go blonde again! It also means that when I go blonde it looks more natural as too many highlights on top of one another leads to almost one tone of colour, whereas with the brown as a base you have more different tones. Have you thought about doing that? xx

Have you thought about volunteering as a model in a salon. They are always on the look out for models for the apprentices to practise and the qualified to try out new colours and techniques. I used to do it at a local salon and they are always supervised so nothing went wrong. Only thing is you have to allow more time but i just took a book or mag. Actually must look into it again as kids all but old enough to look after themselves in the evening

Oh, and another benefit of going dark then getting blonde highlights again is the roots arent as obvious as you have dark going all the way through from when you were brunette, and they help the roots to blend so I can get away without doing my hair for longer! x

Blondee, you have lovely long hair so will need to make a choice and try to stick with it I think so as not to damage your hair by darkening it and then bleaching it all.

Could you try on a dark wig or two and see what you think of yourself dark before taking the plunge?

Just with reference to the previous point, speaking from experience and having spoken to my hairdresser about it...By darkening it then leaving it for 6 months and then slowly having highlights but through it you are doing it more good than repeatedly highlighting every 6 weeks! I'm not suggesting you bleach it all, rather give your hair a rest, save yourself some money, and then if you miss it you can start adding highlights through it later down the line.

Hi Blondee, only thing to add to above comments is to ensure if you think you might want to go back up to blonde, only use semi permanent colours and not permanent. Can't remember exact reasoning from hairdresser, but think it was based on if semi-perm is used you can use tints to lift colour, but if permanent is used, it needs to bleached to lift the colour and then toned to the colour you want.

Just with reference to the previous point, speaking from experience and having spoken to my hairdresser about it...By darkening it then leaving it for 6 months and then slowly having highlights but through it you are doing it more good than repeatedly highlighting every 6 weeks! I'm not suggesting you bleach it all, rather give your hair a rest, save yourself some money, and then if you miss it you can start adding highlights through it later down the line.

I had thought about that, with it coming up to winter time (september of course lol) it would be a good time to go darker and I think it's a good idea to lighten it up a bit again in the summer. Thanks for all your advice hun :)

Hi Blondee, only thing to add to above comments is to ensure if you think you might want to go back up to blonde, only use semi permanent colours and not permanent. Can't remember exact reasoning from hairdresser, but think it was based on if semi-perm is used you can use tints to lift colour, but if permanent is used, it needs to bleached to lift the colour and then toned to the colour you want.

Hey minime, thanks for the advice hun, that makes sense, I havent dyed my own hair for ages and I would get my hairdresser to do the initial change but I'd like to keep lightening it as an option for the future so I'll def have to remember that :)

Blondee, you have lovely long hair so will need to make a choice and try to stick with it I think so as not to damage your hair by darkening it and then bleaching it all.

Could you try on a dark wig or two and see what you think of yourself dark before taking the plunge?

Hey hun, I must admit that did cross my mind and I think it's a really great idea but unfortunately I dont know anywhere round here that sells wigs (well not any I would actually want to risk putting on my head ;) hehe) I think you're right about being careful about my choice so I'm gonna have to do a bit more research and find somewhere that i can try one on!

hey blondee..

i grew up being blonde, and my hair went darker as i got older, but to be honest i have dyed my hair since i was 14 (am now 27) and i have always gone blonde, i uses wilkinsons hair dye, and few years ago i went dark underneath and kept the blonde on top (although now i am letting the dark growout)..

sometimes when i got the money and my hair is due i have it done at the salon, or oh does it for me...

seriously think about it first though, i couldnt imagine myself without being blonde :(

You are so lucky that you can dye your hair brown. I have jet black hair but i really really want to dye it a choclate brown colour but i know it will never show unless i lighten it first.

I think you should go for the brunete, i bet it would look gorjus. What colour eyes do you have?

Back