O/T electricity bills

tara40

Loves Norman Reedus
anyone know who i can contact regarding my hugh electricity bill. in short they never sent me a bill for over a year. i didnt know who the original people who lived there were with. the tosser changed his electricity supplier two days before we moved in. i then changed gas and electricity over to BG and had confirmation from them telling me that i would be connected to them from such a such date. i organised payment via direct debit, then just presumed they were taking the money (sorry to say that i didnt at this point check my statement).

after hearing that Davina McCall claimed all that money back, then why shouldnt i

Get in touch with watchdog - they love a good story like this to get their teeth into!!

Are BG not being very helpful?

No the reason why i queried it, was that i had a letter regarding my direct debits for my gas bill but nothing for my electricity. when i phoned them, they said that i wasnt with them. The tosser before had changed to Eon.

I used to work for TXU Energi (previously Powergen and now E-On) during the summer holidays at uni, and I think the way they can change between suppliers is ridiculous.

From memory and how it was (it might have changed), there is a 6 week transfer period and this can be agreed over the phone with no need to sign anything. If the previous owner changed to EOn 2 days before he left and you moved in, your attempt at switching to BG may have been cancelled because a switch was in place. If the old owner/tenant changed and didn't pull out in 14 days, and settled his bill, the transfer would have happened without you knowing. However, if they didn't issue 'welcome to us' letters and BG ever got in touch to say the transfer failed, you're in the dark from both sides (and the letters may have come in HIS name, so you may have returned to sender anyway).

Now then, a transfer to a new company can only happen if the last bill was settled, so unless they have messed up, the previous man should have balanced his account or the transfer would have been halted from the supplier before he changed to EOn.

What's disgusting is that the company you want to go with (BG) don't seem to be good at telling people whenever the move is halted - and considering how much they pester you if you try to leave, you'd think they'd be more keen to keep new potential customers.

Call OFGEM or Energy Watch first of all, but go to them armed with the facts: who you thought it was, who it is and the fact they've never billed you etc.

There is a chance you can nullify the money (I remember some people did this when I worked there yonks ago for major errors in setting up, but it depends on the circumstance). Alternatively, they may be able to arrange a re-payment plan for you instead of demanding the full amount.

It's awful how often this happens. And I will say that Scottish Power have been AMAZING for me since I changed to them. They answer calls quickly and (gasp) return calls and the service is great.

Good luck xx

I changed to Eon last year (for both gas and electric) and have been faithfully sending in meter readings and paying my direct debits and suddenly they tell me I'm like £400 in debt and have changed my payments from £90 to £200 a month! I was like WTF???? I wrote to them but never heard a peep back. I'm still unsure how I'm going to handle this. It's disgusting.

Minders - check they have not imput your meter reading wrongly. We're with EOn for out second property which we're trying to sell. As we don't live there, I reduced our monthly DD to £5 per month as we only pop over to do viewings and make sure things are ok. We got a bill saying we were £198 summat in debt which we found amusing since we don't use much of much. Turned out they'd incorrectly typed in my meter reading...so check and look back through old bills to make sure that the usage stated is about right. I think that G&E companies are part evil (luckily I was exorcised after my stint) ;) x

That's awful. I worked for Scottish and Southern (Southern elec, Scottish Hydro, Swalec) and have seen that before. I agree with previous poster about the cancelation etc. I think they should spread that debt over a longer period as 200 a month is just ridiculous!!! I would definitely complain. Go to energywatch.co.uk and go from there if you want to officially complain. HTH. Xx

The meter reading is correct. I think part of it is the huge rise in energy prices... but my thinking is, you can't just raise someone's bill by over 100% and just tell them to pay it. Surely they knew it was going to go up and should have reviewed everyone's payments accordingly. It's put a lot of stress on the monthly outgoings. I think things like that should be better regulated to give the general public a bit of protection from these companies just reaching into their bank accounts and taking whatever they want. I'd be sent to jail if I did it!

Indeed they are part evil. But I don't want to be tainted with that brush having worked for one. I got "reviews" from my team leader because my call numbers were low... yes, because I would spend in excess of 2hrs trying to solve things for people! I remember one person didn't even have a supplier or bill in 3yrs and was using elec, yet being told she didn't have a meter!!! Lmao. Needless to say I solved that one in about 4hrs, then left!!!!! Lol. I just hate most call centres now... xx

They covered a similar thing to this today on you and yours radio 4. Powergen were under fire today for raising peoples direct debits without informing them and calculating them over an 18 month period to include 2 winter quarters, hence a big increase in direct debit. Contact the onbudsman, they should be able to help.

Indeed they are part evil. But I don't want to be tainted with that brush having worked for one. I got "reviews" from my team leader because my call numbers were low... yes, because I would spend in excess of 2hrs trying to solve things for people! I remember one person didn't even have a supplier or bill in 3yrs and was using elec, yet being told she didn't have a meter!!! Lmao. Needless to say I solved that one in about 4hrs, then left!!!!! Lol. I just hate most call centres now... xx

I got into trouble a lot too - because I treated people like people and not money signs. Shame not more people like you there these days :) x

I used to work for TXU Energi (previously Powergen and now E-On) during the summer holidays at uni, and I think the way they can change between suppliers is ridiculous.

From memory and how it was (it might have changed), there is a 6 week transfer period and this can be agreed over the phone with no need to sign anything. If the previous owner changed to EOn 2 days before he left and you moved in, your attempt at switching to BG may have been cancelled because a switch was in place. If the old owner/tenant changed and didn't pull out in 14 days, and settled his bill, the transfer would have happened without you knowing. However, if they didn't issue 'welcome to us' letters and BG ever got in touch to say the transfer failed, you're in the dark from both sides (and the letters may have come in HIS name, so you may have returned to sender anyway).

Now then, a transfer to a new company can only happen if the last bill was settled, so unless they have messed up, the previous man should have balanced his account or the transfer would have been halted from the supplier before he changed to EOn.

What's disgusting is that the company you want to go with (BG) don't seem to be good at telling people whenever the move is halted - and considering how much they pester you if you try to leave, you'd think they'd be more keen to keep new potential customers.

Call OFGEM or Energy Watch first of all, but go to them armed with the facts: who you thought it was, who it is and the fact they've never billed you etc.

There is a chance you can nullify the money (I remember some people did this when I worked there yonks ago for major errors in setting up, but it depends on the circumstance). Alternatively, they may be able to arrange a re-payment plan for you instead of demanding the full amount.

It's awful how often this happens. And I will say that Scottish Power have been AMAZING for me since I changed to them. They answer calls quickly and (gasp) return calls and the service is great.

Good luck xx

thank you will be doing this

Back