O/T Treadmill or Cross trainer??

Camille

Silver Member
Okay so I'm finally starting to lose the weight so after my hols want to combine the weight loss with getting fit & toning up!
Can't get to the gym as I work school hours & most evenings I'm a taxi driver for my son who goes to various clubs & music lessons so my time is pretty much taken up!
We have a good weights gym taking up the spare bedroom so can tone up using that but need something to burn the calories & build fitness levels so thought about a treadmill or cross trainer (don't have room for both in our 'gym'!) When I did go to the gym, many moons ago, I enjoyed both. Any wise words of wisdom out there? Anyone know a good, cheap one to get? Been looking on Ebay but not sure what the best ones are.
Any info would be great, I'd rather buy one through recommendation than buy blind if you know what I mean. Thanks. xx

I had a carl lewis treadmill and found it great but after a while i got bored of it and it ended up in the spare room been used as a clothes hanger gathering dust. ive sold it since i much prefer to get out walking on the road but it was so handy for the days when it was raining and the dark evenings. Mine was 600euro. i havent much experience of a cross trainer. my mum has a excercise bycical and finds it great :) xx

I have a crosstrainer that can be used as a bike .
I can have the hadles moving or stationary so some times I go bike ride sometimes I use it to walk run on ,or I move handle bars and do the cross trainer bit .This gives you a bit more choice and so I dont get bored with same thing all time .Got mine off ebay for about £80 new and bit of a crosstrainer/bike /treadmill sort of thing so value for money

I have a crosstrainer that can be used as a bike .
I can have the hadles moving or stationary so some times I go bike ride sometimes I use it to walk run on ,or I move handle bars and do the cross trainer bit .This gives you a bit more choice and so I dont get bored with same thing all time .Got mine off ebay for about £80 new and bit of a crosstrainer/bike /treadmill sort of thing so value for money
That sounds great what make is that?

I'd say crosstrainer. You could always take up jogging in the park or when the little one is on his bike.

Oooh if I had the choice I would have a treadmill, but we don't have room for one. If you do get one, I can recommend www.i-train.com where you can download programmes for your mp3 player which has loads of programmes to choose from and is a bit more interesting than just pounding away on the treadmill. They also do them for the cross trainers

We have the Roger Black Treadmill and Crosstrainer. Only got them approx. 6 weeks ago. Argos were going an offer. Think it was £200 for the Treadmill and the Crosstrainer was FREE. Might be worth checking to see if that offer is still on. Maybe you could sell the one you don't want :)

amanda how long ago was that? x

6 weeks, i shoulda read it properly - trying to do too much at once as usual!

Have just had a look and they are still doing the offer(although it is £299). My mistake on the price :sigh:
You can have a bike instead of a crosstrainer if you want but I think the latter is better :)

Just bought a treadmill off ebay. Can't wait to pick it up & get started xx

I've got a cross trainer that never gets used. Bought off ebay but still cost £150. Quite impressed with the sturdiness and build quality but its a big lump of equipment gathering dust as a clothes horse!!
I prefer the wii fit which is not quite an all over work out or such but it makes the difference between me doing and not doing a bit of exercise.

I find the cross trainer better, the treadmill is fine with music or a tv to keep me entertained but with the cross trainer I am always thinking as otherwise I loose my balance.

I was told the very best exercise in the gym is actually the treadmill, if you like a particular exercise machine, and feel more comfortable on it, do the duration of the time you are going to the gym, for instance i goto the gym once a week at the moment, and i go on the treadmill for 45 mins, and i do a steady 5.5speed, and keep my heart rate as it should be for my age, and i was told i will burn up more fat, doing this, than going on 4 different machines, doing 10 minutes a time, because, while you are working hard on the machine for 10 mins, your heart rate gets the appropriate level to burn fat, and then if you get of the machine in 10 mins, your heart then goes back to normal level, then you would go on another machine, and it starts again, so in theory its correct, so my advice would be, find a machine you feel happy with, and stick to that machine.

Hope this helps.

i just bought a treadmill,
well i say treadmill, it was 4 quid from an auction in the local pub and about 467 years old!!!!
its on a belt, not electric or anything, but its on a slight slope, so an hour of that a day is gotta be better than sitting down!!! x

Back