Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Hiya, my sistor sufferes with OCD
She is 50 this year and was not officially diagnosed till 2 years ago, we all laughed and did the usual stuff like everyone else. We feel that medication is not an option. She will arrange the cupboards and she will, make it her mission to paint the house in a certain time, or clean the house in a certain way, with her it is many forms of OCD be it time or items, she is clever lady and once we knew what was going on we now accept it, she could wash her hands 20 times a day, wash the sink and drainer and keep checking the cooker is turned off.......................From my understanding it does not go away but it lessons with time, we do not make a fuss and we understand if she does - hope this helps
ps David Beckham has it as well!!

Thanks

Seems like OCD is extremely common. I didn't know much about it before. I really appreciate your post.

Tracey
x

Really good luck with the next appointment Tracey. Will be thinking of you both - let us know how you get on? xxx

Just a quick update.

Went to see the consultant today with Kim and she has been prescribed Prozac, she's starting on 10mg per day to see how she goes, if she feels this is helping she will stay on this, however if she dosent feel any different then she will go up to 20mg in a couple of weeks.

Kim is quite at ease with all this, so that is the important thing.

Since I last posted she has managed to stop herself doing a couple of things, but the main things that really bother her she is still not in control of. We've discussed things thoroughly and I asked if because she had stopped some things, was she compensating by doing other things more often, but she said no. So hopefully things are on the up!:D :D :D

Tracey
x

Sounds like good progress to me, hun!

xxxxx

Thanks Isobel

I think so too, was a bit worried about Kim going on Prozac at 16 as I'm not one for taking tablets (but that's the hippy in me!) But it's Kim's decision and I'll back her all the way.

Tracey
x

I'm not one for taking tablets (but that's the hippy in me!)x

Oh hun - I felt the same until I desperately needed the old happy pills. Two six month courses over a three year period and it sorted me right out!

I'm all for chemicals now lol!

I'm sure she'll be fine now she's going to have something to 'centre' her a bit.

xxxxx

Ive only just found this thread, and I have to say I think you are going about this the right way.

I have OCD, when I was stressed it took over my life, other people who dont know me dont really see it, until I fall over my own feet (its a long story and I wont go into it now) I wish Id have known what I had earlier, as I might have been able to stop it more then I have, I have "grown out" of it to a certain extent, and it no longer takes over my life, however if a course of tablets makes her feel at ease then Im all for it, the worry of it all cocking up if you dont do certain things is the big bit, rather than doing them itself, I hope this makes sense hun. It can be treated, I had to do it myself and I know If I had had the help then it would have been tons easier.

Lastly, it wasnt anything my parents did, or didnt do, It was in my head, so dont think its your fault, I can get out of doing it now, and your daughter will too x

glad to hear some progess is happening Tracey, and if Kim's happy with the course of action then that's great.

Take care
xxxx

Ive only just found this thread, and I have to say I think you are going about this the right way.

I have OCD, when I was stressed it took over my life, other people who dont know me dont really see it, until I fall over my own feet (its a long story and I wont go into it now) I wish Id have known what I had earlier, as I might have been able to stop it more then I have, I have "grown out" of it to a certain extent, and it no longer takes over my life, however if a course of tablets makes her feel at ease then Im all for it, the worry of it all cocking up if you dont do certain things is the big bit, rather than doing them itself, I hope this makes sense hun. It can be treated, I had to do it myself and I know If I had had the help then it would have been tons easier.

Lastly, it wasnt anything my parents did, or didnt do, It was in my head, so dont think its your fault, I can get out of doing it now, and your daughter will too x

Thanks Vicky for your vote of confidence in my parenting skills. It really is easy to blame ourselves, I've wracked my brains trying to come up with the reasons behind Kim's OCD, and more to the point so has she. One thing I'm glad of is she is very open with me and we can discuss things (which I couldn't have with my own Mum when I was Kim's age).

Like you, Kim also is quite good at hiding her OCD, most things are done in our home anyway and only a couple of people know about it. She openly demonstrates the OCD in front of me, but I've noticed she tries to hide it from the other kids and Scott.

You mentioned your feet, Kim does strange things on stairs etc. because of having to step in multiples of either 3,6 or nines.

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry you weren't able to get the help when you needed it most, it must have been very hard for you, mental health issues have up until recently been a very taboo subject, and luckily now are considered as treatable diseases, rather than personal weaknesses or things to be ashamed of.

:thankyou:

Tracey
x

glad to hear some progess is happening Tracey, and if Kim's happy with the course of action then that's great.

Take care
xxxx

Thanks Jan

Kim is happy with her decision. I like the natural remedies myself, but Kim poopoo's my ideas, which is fine, but like I've said in my diary post, I have snuck some crystals around her room;)

Tracey
x

Thanks Jan

Kim is happy with her decision. I like the natural remedies myself, but Kim poopoo's my ideas, which is fine, but like I've said in my diary post, I have snuck some crystals around her room;)

Tracey
x

Don't blame you Tracey, anything that can or may help is worth doing.

x

[Thanks Vicky for your vote of confidence in my parenting skills. It really is easy to blame ourselves, I've wracked my brains trying to come up with the reasons behind Kim's OCD, and more to the point so has she. One thing I'm glad of is she is very open with me and we can discuss things (which I couldn't have with my own Mum when I was Kim's age).
Thats so good, my mum and dad dont know, probably because I didnt realise something was wrong until late teens really, not that I cant talk to them as I can but more I didnt want to worry them really. Now as its under control I dont feel the need really!

You mentioned your feet, Kim does strange things on stairs etc. because of having to step in multiples of either 3,6 or nines.
Can relate to that so much, Ive been known to start a walk all over again as the sequence wasnt right

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry you weren't able to get the help when you needed it most, it must have been very hard for you, mental health issues have up until recently been a very taboo subject, and luckily now are considered as treatable diseases, rather than personal weaknesses or things to be ashamed of

Yup, thats about it, felt like I was mad (well I am a bit!!)

I can laugh about it now, even though I still do it sometimes, fell off the kerb the other day as I was more bothered about the correct amount of steps between my work door and a zebra crossing!

Didnt hurt though;)

Thats so good, my mum and dad dont know, probably because I didnt realise something was wrong until late teens really, not that I cant talk to them as I can but more I didnt want to worry them really. Now as its under control I dont feel the need really!

Can relate to that so much, Ive been known to start a walk all over again as the sequence wasnt right

Kim does the same thing! Frustrating if you're following her up the stairs, or out the front door.;)

Yup, thats about it, felt like I was mad (well I am a bit!!)

You've hit the nail on the head, that's the most upsetting thing of it all, Kim has asked me several times, 'do you think I'm going mad mum'

I can laugh about it now, even though I still do it sometimes, fell off the kerb the other day as I was more bothered about the correct amount of steps between my work door and a zebra crossing!

It's good you can joke about it. I know the previous posts all suggest a heavy deal, but we do make light of it, I think you have to. I try to keep my own fears to myself and not let Kim know I'm worried. That's why I'm greatful to all the replies I've had on here. I've treated this thread as a vent for my own feelings.

Tracey
x

You can tell her from me she isnt going mad, the problem is when it takes over your life, and I reckon you are getting sorted so it wont.

My DH is really funny, he wont walk behind me anymore as I am always tripping him up!

Keep making light of it, its not heavy, and you are aware so you will know if it gets worse, I was thinking about it last night, and chatting with DH about it, he knows how frustated i used to get, and if you are on the case then it will all be well.

Vent all you want, I know I have asked for all sorts of advice on here, weight loss, families, holidays, relationships, kids, thats the beauty of Minis x

Back