Odds 'n' sods not Atkins

well, Atkins is low cal in a way More, none of that sweet stuff, just not really low cal in my eyes.

I don't get into arguments about diets any more, and as for more people regaining weight after Atkins, that's always down to the individual isn't it, if you go back to your previous way of eating then it stands to reason you're going to get fat again doesn't it.

I think people who follow low cal diets (I have before) are brainwashed to believe that their way is the only way!! It obviously isn't the calorie deficit that ensures Atkins followers weight losses, but there is a different science behind Atkins and its very difficult to get people to understand this, they really need to read about it themselves...

As for more Atkins followers putting the weight back on, I don't believe that a survey incorporating all diets has ever been done, so she is talking out of her a***...sorry!!

Yes you are right you shouldn't have to defend your way of eating, I tend not to tell people to be honest...as I can't be bothered with peoples attitudes...I have told friends that I am cutting down on my main carb staples, but work colleagues think that I am allergic to wheat as I won't touch the sandwiches, however when they see me eating fried breakfast from the canteen they don't say a word as they don't even think diet...lol....

I think I would say don't diss it till you try it....x

Last edited:
Just to add my bit i have done VLCD and am now doing atkins my VLCD was milkshake based and it was great i lost a lot of weight and i would never slag it off because it worked for me saying that ....You do kind of go into your own world and become a bit brain washed at the end of the day what ever diet you do if you eat the way you did before you will end up with the same result.A fat butt.xx:D

I just get a bit annoyed that people feel their way of dieting is the ONLY way to go :mad:.. I never diss anyone's diet if anything I support them because I know what's it's like trying to lose weight and etc.. I guess I just should of walked away but she asked how did I lose my weight and I told her and than the discussion began..I just want to know why so many people are so negative towards atkins.. I think the fad diets like the grapefruit diet and lemonade diet are far more questionable than atkins :confused:

I do agree all in all it's a lifestyle change or you will end up right back where you started.. For me I can honestly say I was prepared this time around for the diet and knew I had to make a lifestyle change or I was going to be repeating my pass mistakes and losing and gaining the same weight back..

snack when you switched over to atkins did you gain any weight? I was curious about those who do a VLCD then go back to let's say eating more solid foods.. congrats in the weight loss by the way :D

Last edited:
I'm believe in whatever works for you, but I agree I'd never diss anyones diet providing it was working for them

Thank god no i havnt put on any weight since the change over,But on my VLCD i was all too aware that i could not live on milkshakes forever which is what a lot of people on these type of diets fail to see they live off the shakes for weeks and weeks and dont look at the long term .Thats why i came off them while i still had weight to lose so i could get into a diet that i could keep for life.What ever diet you do there is always some one out there to put it down ,i just tell people im on a diet and if they ask what one i just say im doing my own one and cutting back on junk food then i dont have to keep explaining myself.love to all xx

Yes I do that too snack...I mean most "bad" carbs are junk food and stodge aren't they?

That's a good one snack, cutting down on junk food, I like that.

spot on Laura

Yes I agree too....I followed Weight Watchers 5 years ago, I got to goal by losing almost 2 stone, and here I am in the same position again...One of the problems with low cal diets is that there is no real maintenance programme to follow, it still means watching your calories which is really hard to do....At least with carbs you know when you are putting carbs into your mouth, its easy to cut right back on these when you know you have over done it on one day....Calorie counting is so difficult that when you over do it, you have to practically starve to catch up on yourself....

Would you say maintenance was the hardest part Jim? It must be easy to think I have lost the weight and then gradually go back to eating as before....I am dreading Christmas for that very reason, as I should be almost at my goal weight by then, and then I have to stay out of the roses and quality street, stay away from the Christmas pud, trifle, cream crackers etc etc etc....it is going to be so hard, is anyone else worrying about Christmas?

I agree with you snack and laura.. I like the cutting back on junk food.. You are right about the VLCD I agree it is a good way to jump start your weight loss and along the way you to have in the back of your mind what are you going to do to maintain that weight. We got fat for a reason and we have to make that lifestyle change..;)

Jane I'm not too worried about the holidays. For me Thanksgiving is a big one and I always cook and Thanksgiving meal. I just plan on doing a very strict induction before and then eat moderately. Not over stuff myself but I'm going to allow myself to eat some carby things but I'm not going to pig out.. I think you'll be ok when Xmas comes around, eat in moderation and know that you can't eat like that everyday. try not to binge. I'm going to start giving myself 1 day a month where I can eat all the carby things I want and Thanksgiving will be that day for me. Now I'm eating more fruits and maybe a piece of bread here and there but you know after not eating a lot of carbs I tend to get sick or have stomach problems. After eating that kebab and vinegar and salt potati chips I paid for it. I won't do that again..:D

Oh brill thanks for that I will get some tomorrow...I have cut out having them everyday, but like to have them in the house just incase I have any urges for something sweet....Jx

That is a good deal. Some of them are good but they tend to give me gas :( so I eat them maybe once a month..

Just to add my twopence worth on the low carb diet bit, I firmly believe there are a type of people that have a serious carb problem/addiction (I mean bad carbs here) and for them to stick to or maintain a low calorie diet takes fierce will power which is very difficult to maintain long term, so for these people if you can show them the beauty of lessened cravings you are showing them the door to sucess - its just getting to that point, people who are addicted to sugar have a real fear of being without it.

well that is my theory anyway.

Did anyone see the program on transgender children last night - poor kids as if being a teenager isnt hard enough!

Would you say maintenance was the hardest part Jim? It must be easy to think I have lost the weight and then gradually go back to eating as before.

I think on any diet getting into maint is hard Jane, for my part it hasn't been hard this time but I have been on Atkins for ever and ever. If anything my problem is the opposite, unless I'm careful I keep dropping back into induction level eating.

What helps me though, and we've all said it before is that if I overindulge in carbs I feel crap, all the symptoms as mentioned in the carbs are evil thread.

I didn't see the program Annie, but I can imagine the suffering love.

Thanks Jim, and I can understand that, I keep thinking that perhaps I should be moving onto the next phase of Atkins as I only have a stone to lose, but I am so terrified of doing this I can't do it....lol...Induction works so well I am worried the weight loss will stop or slow down too much....I keep thinking, next week...and then don't do it....I think I will wait until I have about 7 lbs to go...Do you think that will be ok? Jx

Hey, new photo, what a cracker.

I'd say 10 lbs love, then you can start increasing your carbs by 5 a day each week until you stall, then drop 5 carbs and you should start losing again love.

The thing I like about Atkins is that if you do gain going into induction usually starts the weight loss again.

Thanks Jim, I'm not normally very photogenic so this is one of my better ones....lol...

Right I will take your expert advice on this and will try that at 10 lbs..thanks for your advice....Jx

won't be long now then. :)

Back