Oh no!!! I've had a binge!!

This thread has really got me thinking. Iv been binge eating since being 13 years old and at 27 I'm still there, unable to get out of this mindset. I spoke to my gp who just gave me anti depressants which have not helped at all. I wondered if there were any groups that deal with this without costing a fortune! It's definitely peace of mind that I'm not the only one struggling with this!! :)

As I said before the uk is well behind the states in terms of recognising this as an actual bona fide eating disorder. This means the support is negligible and as you experienced they medicate you for depression which isn't the root cause, or wasn't for me. Any depression was a side effect, not the other way around. To me that smacks of treating the symptoms and not the cause.

There are hypnosis CDs and apps you can use. I recommend vgb hypnosis app (its a virtual gastric band) and this takes 30 days daily use. It's about £5. That's cheaper than the £75 a session I spent but I genuinely needed that outside input!

I've just downloaded the free lite version of the vgb app to see what it's about then will probably go for the full version. Despite all this talk of binging I had a bit of a chocolate binge earlier. So annoyed with myself. Was 40 syns so only 25 over my daily syns but still totally unnecessary. Just took the dogs for an extra long walk to try some damage limitation and will adjust my syns the rest of the week to make up for it :-( it's safe to say that the scan bran challenge for this week is unlikely to help me lol.

I think that's the problem with our NHS...they are quick to dish out medication to mask the problem without getting to the root cause.

You may find it repetitive but stick it out, its the same session over and over for 14 days and then another, different session for 10 days (I believe) then the final few are the 'surgery' itself. I'd be interested to hear how you get on? It's definitely a good way to introduce it!

That's the same hypnotherapy that I've been using (the VGB) - I find the first part more useful than the second though, the visualisation of how you're going to feel etc is more powerful for me than the gastric band part. Might mention the full hypnotherapy to my doctor next time I'm there for a check-up, get a recommendation for someone good locally rather than relying on google! x

Thanks for the reply (not great at using this thread so don't know how to quote!) anything is worth a try for me. When I look back over the years of binge eating I have done I could actually burst into tears. It is a daily battle and I feel for anyone who has to deal with this too. If I was constantly starving myself I feel I would be more accepted but as I over eat I'm just greedy and lazy!! Anyway thanks again, will get searching now :) Kay x

I binge occasionally. Usually when I've had a tough time and I suffer with depression which is hard to snap out off. I can usually forgive myself and get back on the plan the very next day. I find that I binge less though, as I have found that binging makes me feel like c**p especially if I binge on greasy foods. I feel really bloated and get bad stomach cramps. Guess its just my body not used to it anymore!

That's the same hypnotherapy that I've been using (the VGB) - I find the first part more useful than the second though, the visualisation of how you're going to feel etc is more powerful for me than the gastric band part. Might mention the full hypnotherapy to my doctor next time I'm there for a check-up, get a recommendation for someone good locally rather than relying on google! x

If anyone wants a referral I could ask my therapist if you let me know where you live. I don't know but presume there are networks and so on and she could hopefully recommend someone reputable :)

Back