Oh no, not an American...

just a bit of an update... it's been a week or so since I've checked in, and not much weight loss to announce. I do very well during the work week, yet I find excuses to indulge when I'm home on the weekends. At least I haven't put the weight back on, I have just hit a plateau.

I guess this would be a perfect time to start some regularly scheduled exercise. I think I'm going to start the "Couch to 5K" program. This will be my second attempt at it. I got through about 5 weeks of training the last time before I hit the "wall". I am much more motivated to see it through this time though.

just a bit of an update... it's been a week or so since I've checked in, and not much weight loss to announce. I do very well during the work week, yet I find excuses to indulge when I'm home on the weekends. At least I haven't put the weight back on, I have just hit a plateau.

I guess this would be a perfect time to start some regularly scheduled exercise. I think I'm going to start the "Couch to 5K" program. This will be my second attempt at it. I got through about 5 weeks of training the last time before I hit the "wall". I am much more motivated to see it through this time though.

If you over-indulge at the weekends mainly, maybe the JUDD (up down diet) might be something worth looking at. Where you have an up day where you have what you want to eat within reason, then a down day where you stick to 500 cals, then an up day, then a down day. But you can be flexible with it and group your up days together a bit e.g. a whole weekend and another day in the week. It seems to work, and it's got a website (look up Johnson JUDD on google). It might not be of interested, but just thought I'd mention.

Couch to 5k seems a good idea. I'm just trying to work myself up to jogging 45 mins slowly. I'm only managing to run 20 mins in every 60 mins at the moment, but I'll get there, and so will you!

V

Dennis, I hope your absence means that you're just busy, and not that you've fallen off track! Hope it's going well

V

Hey folks... I'm back. To be honest, life has been EXTREMELY busy over the past month or so. Work is keeping me traveling non-stop (which is both a good and bad thing), and my wife and I have been up to our ears in preparations for our baby to arrive in June... I'll be honest, I haven't been too devoted to the weight loss cause, but on the bright side, I've basically maintained the same weight over the past month, so at least I'm not back to where I started.

Now that the craziness of February is behind me, I can start shifting my focus back to getting healthy... and I'll be relying on you all to keep me focused as well!

@Tinkerbelle: Vermont is a beautiful spot... only about 2 hours north of where I live. Actually my wife and I visited VT a few months back, and that's where we found out she was pregnant... so VT is definitely a special place for both of us.

Talk to you all soon!

Hey folks... I'm back. To be honest, life has been EXTREMELY busy over the past month or so. Work is keeping me traveling non-stop (which is both a good and bad thing), and my wife and I have been up to our ears in preparations for our baby to arrive in June... I'll be honest, I haven't been too devoted to the weight loss cause, but on the bright side, I've basically maintained the same weight over the past month, so at least I'm not back to where I started.

Now that the craziness of February is behind me, I can start shifting my focus back to getting healthy... and I'll be relying on you all to keep me focused as well!

@Tinkerbelle: Vermont is a beautiful spot... only about 2 hours north of where I live. Actually my wife and I visited VT a few months back, and that's where we found out she was pregnant... so VT is definitely a special place for both of us.

Talk to you all soon!

Awww what a wonderful motivation to lose weight....having a baby on the way! You've done better than me...I've put on, and hence been avoiding this place so I don't feel so guilty... Will get back on track in the next few days. Good luck with the weight loss, and good luck with the baby preparations :)

V

Thanks for the encouragement, Dreamer... yeah, it still hasn't fully sunk in yet, but I'm definitely excited about it.

I have a random question... can someone explain to me what Pancake Tuesday is all about? Is there some historical or religious significance to that day, or is it simply just a day where people eat pancakes? (I REALLY wish we celebrated it in the US!)

Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day is where people use up all their flour eggs and milk for lent so they can fast (from those) till Easter :) I would have thought the Americans came up with it...people use it more for an excuse for a feast really these days!!! It's mostly a bit of fun now :)

V

I'm Italian so I'm alien from the "pancake Tuesday" tradition, but I think it's similar to what the "Mardi gras" is in Europe: in Europe from the beginning of February until pancake Tuesday there's a period of time called "Carnival" where there are a lot of cakes and fried cake stuff eaten. The week that ends with the so called Mardi Gras is the end of Carnival and people would go around the streets dressed in masks and have sweets, cakes and fried stuff. Then, on the day that here is called "Ash Wednesday" it's the start of the "Quaresima" (in Italian, it means something around the 40 days to Easter) which here is called lent. So the way I consider pancake Tuesday is just the end of carnival and beginning of lent for Easter :)

A-ha! Well that makes perfect sense. Pancake Tuesday (sort of) equals Mardi Gras. People indulge a bit too much, which makes Ash Wednesday a bit easier to swallow (no pun intended)

Thanks for the insight... hope everyone is doing well this week and staying strong!

Feeling really good about my increased willpower... yesterday was the first St. Patrick's Day in a LONG time where I didn't over-indulge on food and booze. I will admit, I did treat myself to a modest portion of corned beef and potatoes, but I didn't go back for seconds, and stayed away from the dessert table and the bar...

Feeling really good about my increased willpower... yesterday was the first St. Patrick's Day in a LONG time where I didn't over-indulge on food and booze. I will admit, I did treat myself to a modest portion of corned beef and potatoes, but I didn't go back for seconds, and stayed away from the dessert table and the bar...

That's brilliant! I need to draw inspiration from it...I'm still way off track and increasing weight again, after I worked so hard and lost 1.5stones.

Hey Dennis

Just wanted to drop by and say hi :wavey:

I'm sooo jealous - you get all the good stuff over that side of the pond! Football, AE, Bud Select, Hooters. I could go on all day! My husband and I haven't been over for a year or so because I was pregnant, and now we want to wait until our son is a few months older before we go back.

Hope you are doing well with the weight loss.

Thanks, K8! I appreciate the support... and congratulations on the birth of your son! My wife and I are less than three months away from the birth of our first child... and it's REALLY starting to sink in these days!

That's so exciting, in 12 weeks you will have a beautiful baby:) I found it the best experience ever, I hope you enjoy every second. So you must be losing the baby weight a bit early then? My husband gained during my pregnancy and hasn't lost any yet!:confused:

I kept hearing all these stories about how I would gain a bunch of "sympathy weight" during my wife's pregnancy, so I wanted to prove everyone wrong. I haven't lost as much as I wanted to lose so far, but I also haven't gained anything either... so I consider that a minor accomplishment.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip to Washington DC to visit friends. On Saturday, the group of us drove out to northern Virginia to visit a couple of wineries out in the country. I give my wife a LOT of credit for wanting to join us as we all enjoyed a few wine tastings... but the scenery was so amazing, she was able to get some beautiful countryside photos.

For any of you who have not yet visited DC in the spring, PLEASE plan a visit. The cherry blossoms are AMAZING. I spent my college years in DC, and I ALWAYS looked forward to early spring. It's always a blast to go back and experience it again.

:jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous::jelous: of your trip to DC

I hope everyone had a nice weekend...back to reality!

My wife and I spent the weekend putting the baby's nursery together... definitely a struggle in the house we live in, but we're making the best of what we have. Needless to say, I can't wait until I can afford to move into a bigger, newer home... but anyway.

Hope all is weel with everyone across the pond!

Back