OMG Ryan Air Fat Tax to fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will be next? A charge for your hair colour? your sex? or the colour of your skin??

No, Chelly, because someone's hair or skin colour doesn't make sitting in a seat next to them uncomfortable, or add extra weight to the plane, or make it difficult to move quickly in an emergency like being obese does. It's not discrimination, it's common sense.

For ages I have always thought that there should be a weight allowance for each individual including their baggage. That way most women would be allowed to take more baggage than men! If we paid excess over a certain weight then it would be a great incentive to lose weight for holiday. But what I object to is it being called a fat tax, I think that is unnecessarily offensive. I think it should just be an over the allowance weight surcharge.

Attitude! Scum is a very harsh word and im actually quite offended by the manner you have approached this.

My mum put me on a diet when i was 7/8 got me to a healthy weight and i stayed that way untill i was 18 when i piled the weight on - it was MY concious choice to eat and drink myself to obesity. I dont blame my parents. They are the ones that put me on the diet in the first place, made me see just how healthy i was when i look back now.

Well it was in responce to the "attitude" on the other page.. about.. "fat families" and about how someone wishes to shout out the name of a diet at them.. i think thats totally disgusting.. you dont know anything about them.. any medical conditions, nothing.. Im overweight now, and i was as a child.. and i sure as hell don't blame my parents.. I cannot comment on your weight now.. or as a child, as i do not know you, or know anything about you.. just like the person on the other page.. be it you, or another person, does not know anything about a "fat family" that they see.. FWIW, im really offended by the blame that is automatically set on all parents..

Gen.. ill do everything i can in my power to provide my child with healthy meals, and so on.. in fact i've made the decision to not allow any sweets or chocolate to be given to my child until a certain age.. but thats MY personal opinion.. but tbh, i know myself, and a number of people who i've talked to with regards of being overweight, used to hide food from our parents and eat it.. spend money on sweets and so on..
I understand to the extend where a child was so obese their life was in danger.. but i find it hard to see that its acceptable to say that is is ALWAYS the parents fault shoudl their child be overweight..

No, Chelly, because someone's hair or skin colour doesn't make sitting in a seat next to them uncomfortable, or add extra weight to the plane, or make it difficult to move quickly in an emergency like being obese does. It's not discrimination, it's common sense.

My personnal opinion is that it hasnt been a problem until now, and they are still making money..

I think it is cruel and embarrasing towards people! How would you feel if they turned round to you and said "Oh im sorry you have to pay X amount extra for FAT tax"

Personnally I think that Ryan air are being greedy and are trying to make as much money as possible.. and they are doing it in a cruel manor..

I dont want to sit beside some one on a plane who farts or burps or stinks of B.O, Then why not charge people for that aswell???

I would feel awkward sitting beside some one with greasy hair and dirty clothes... Are they going to charge for that extra seat that I dont want to sit on??

Well it was in responce to the "attitude" on the other page.. about.. "fat families" and about how someone wishes to shout out the name of a diet at them.. i think thats totally disgusting.. you dont know anything about them.. any medical conditions, nothing.. Im overweight now, and i was as a child.. and i sure as hell don't blame my parents.. I cannot comment on your weight now.. or as a child, as i do not know you, or know anything about you.. just like the person on the other page.. be it you, or another person, does not know anything about a "fat family" that they see.. FWIW, im really offended by the blame that is automatically set on all parents..

Gen.. ill do everything i can in my power to provide my child with healthy meals, and so on.. in fact i've made the decision to not allow any sweets or chocolate to be given to my child until a certain age.. but thats MY personal opinion.. but tbh, i know myself, and a number of people who i've talked to with regards of being overweight, used to hide food from our parents and eat it.. spend money on sweets and so on..
I understand to the extend where a child was so obese their life was in danger.. but i find it hard to see that its acceptable to say that is is ALWAYS the parents fault shoudl their child be overweight..

Blame can be laid at their door, because as the adults in a husehold, they have the ulimate say in what is and isn't eaten, and what exercise is or isn't taken. I work in Child Health and schools, and every day see the results of parents making bad choices on behalf of their children. As another poster said, there's no excuse these days for a child becoming obese. Everyone knows what causes it, and how to prevent it.

Ok but maybe something like this will be the kick up the butt that so many children, young people and adults need to do something about their weight! It is unacceptable to allow your child to eat themselves to obesity like many parents are doing.

Obesity is a big problem - get them taught young whats good for you whats not and whats ok in moderation and hopefully we shall have a healthy, fit and energetic next generation. At the minute its not going that way thats why there is so much pumped into obesity advertising and i personally think ryan air have got it pretty spot on. Whilst some may disagree. Just the way they decide to charge needs to be carefully thought out.

Blame can be laid at their door, because as the adults in a husehold, they have the ulimate say in what is and isn't eaten, and what exercise is or isn't taken. I work in Child Health and schools, and every day see the results of parents making bad choices on behalf of their children. As another poster said, there's no excuse these days for a child becoming obese. Everyone knows what causes it, and how to prevent it.

here here!

My personnal opinion is that it hasnt been a problem until now, and they are still making money..

I think it is cruel and embarrasing towards people! How would you feel if they turned round to you and said "Oh im sorry you have to pay X amount extra for FAT tax"

Personnally I think that Ryan air are being greedy and are trying to make as much money as possible.. and they are doing it in a cruel manor..

I dont want to sit beside some one on a plane who farts or burps or stinks of B.O, Then why not charge people for that aswell???

I would feel awkward sitting beside some one with greasy hair and dirty clothes... Are they going to charge for that extra seat that I dont want to sit on??

I'd feel mortified, which is why I lost weight. I'm glad I did, because I'm healthier. I'd also feel they have a point. We have strict limits on our baggage weight, supposedly because it costs more in fuel to fly a heavier plane, and are charged per kilo if our bags are heavy. What's the point in that if someone who weighs many, many kilos above average can climb on without having to pay more?

And at the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't fly, or lose weight. There are certain rollercoaters obese people can't go on - should we let them because it's embarrassing for them if they're refused, even if it's not safe?

Well god if only i knew how not to become obese in the first place.. what a shame they clearly did teach that in my day.. :rolleyes:

and i think if you believe that the adult has final say in what is eaten.. then you are seriously naive.. im gonna have to step away from this thread cos im way too fuming..

Well god if only i knew how not to become obese in the first place.. what a shame they clearly did teach that in my day.. :rolleyes:

and i think if you believe that the adult has final say in what is eaten.. then you are seriously naive.. im gonna have to step away from this thread cos im way too fuming..

Who does the shopping and the cooking? Who pays for the crap they buy at the shops on the way to and from school?

THE PARENTS.

I'm far from naive, believe me. And I can start a discussion and continue it without fuming off.

well i have the final say of my 5 and 7 yr old and now of my 6 month old who is just bein weened i am their mom it is my job as a adult parent mother to keep them healthy fair enough when they are teens that different you can only guide them but you dont sit there and watch them eat there selves to a unhappy life of years of being obese thats stupid

To me this fat tax is flaming crazy!! I know that some people 'are what they eat' but there are some people who are over weight due to genuine health problems for example people with bone disease such as arthritis who can’t exercise or people who has psychiatric issues such as prader willis syndrome or any other depilating illness???

Ideal BMI is also race related different - races are stouter and like someone has said what about those who are pure muscle.

They’ll be charging us for having bigger feet next!!!

................and thinking overweight people should be on Lipotrim beggars belief. What happened to embracing everyone regardless of size, shape, colour, gender etc.

Aislinn x

Last edited:

I hid food and ate my brothers chocolate he saved up at lent, I even stole money from my mam's purse most mornings to buy goodies... but I still think it was up to my parents, my mother especially, as the adult to take control of that situation. I don't blame her because she did try and as an adult I can see it wasn't all cut and dry and she is only human herself but I know that I won't have an obese child because I now know better.

I was put on diets... the first one for my communion at age 7... which I think is crazy!!

Not sure about not letting ur babs have any sweets or chocolate just make sure you have control over it and don't give it as a treat or don't give any food as a treat really cos I think thats where we all fall down!!!

Anyways guys Ryanair is just doing this as a publicity stunt... there is no way they will ever do this!!

To me this fat tax is flaming crazy!! I know that some people 'are what they eat' but there are some people who are over weight due to genuine health problems for example people with bone disease such as arthritis who can’t exercise or people who has psychiatric issues such as prader willis syndrome or any other depilating illness???

Ideal BMI is also race related different - races are stouter and like someone has said what about those who are pure muscle.

They’ll be charging us for having bigger feet next!!!

................and thinking overweight people should be on Lipotrim beggars belief. What happened to embracing everyone regardless of size, shape, colour, gender etc.

Aislinn x

I imagine if this came to fruition that those who were unavoidably obese because of a medical condition would be exempt from any charge. Do you have any idea how rare Prader-Willi Syndrome is? This may be contentious, but even that (with a huge amount of effort) can be controllable in children. The 16 year-old daughter of a colleague of mine has it, and is not overweight, due entirely to her Mum controlling very well what food she had access to.

Prader willis is not that rare in my line of work. It also depends on your GP if he will give you a medical exemptions. Many GP are old school and genuinely think that if folk cut down they WILL lose weight.

Aislinn x

I have to agree - medical conditions should be considered and no doubt they will else there will be uproar.

Basing it on a BMI scale is just not justifiable. This will never go ahead - i just cannot see how they are going to do it.

And why walk away fuming? Why are you so irate? People are just expressing their opinions just like you have.

I have to agree with everything nixx has said though.

Prader willis is not that rare in my line of work. It also depends on your GP if he will give you a medical exemptions. Many GP are old school and genuinely think that if folk cut down they WILL lose weight.

Aislinn x

From the PWA website:

Incidence and Prevalence
An epidemiological study carried out in one health region in the UK in 2000 estimated birth incidence to be in the region of 1:22,000, with a lower bound for population prevalence of 1:52,000. Previous estimates have estimated a birth incidence between 1:10,000 and 1:25,000. Much of the uncertainty with regard to the statistics for incidence and prevalence is due to the fact that PWS may still go undiagnosed in some people.

Sounds pretty rare to me.

So because some GPs don't do their job properly, Ryanair shouldn't bring in measures to keep prices down? If you genuinely feel you should have a medical exemption based on your weight, and your GP wont give you one, switch GPs.

Thanks summergurl :)

I think obviously genuine medical problems will definitely have to be considered and doing it by BMI is definitely a bad idea but I am for this idea. I think the best way to run it is like the US idea posted on the first page.
Someone I know was forced to sit in the flip down seat staff use for take offs because the seat he paid £250 for was taken up by the extremely overweight man next to him to the point that he couldn't get to his seatbelt! His only other option was to get off the plane and wait to see if he could get on another flight.
If I was either one of those people I know I wouldn't want that happening to me. If I was that large that I needed two seats I'd get them mainly for comfort because obviously if you're that big it's not going to be fun squeezing yourself into a seat too small for you.
We're all charged if our luggage is heavier than it's meant to be because it takes up extra room and extra fuel, as harsh as it sounds this is the same case for people too large to fit in the seat. Larger seats would be a good idea but it would mean a rise in price as there would be less people on the flight.
It's something that needs to be dealt with carefully or it will end up resulting in far too much drama. Though if the US have managed it already then the airlines will most likely look at what they've done.

This fat tax that ryan air are introducing was actually voted for by the public.
They offered a choice of about 6 new charges - including a corkage fee and charging for loo roll, but fat tax won.
Also, they haven't said they are going to work it out by bmi - they have given a bunch of options and are yet to choose.

But blimey, this thread has descended into war - I'm getting out of here before I get caught in the crossfire ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back