One SW day at a time

I've never cooked it before so I'm planning on bunging it in the slow cooker with some scotch bonnets and sweet potatoes. I was reading something that said that the difference between Indian curries and Caribbean ones is the addition of star anise flavours so I'm going to give that a go.

Are you SURE you're not a SW chef in disguise??:D

Tuesday - HOLIDAYS

Super day yesterday. Cooked that chicken enchilada soup which is utterly AMAZINGLY good, pottered about, had a NAP. God, I love a nap. Had a brilliant start to the holiday. It's all going to start getting a bit more hectic from here on in though, with things planned for the rest of the week - but NICE things rather than stupid work. :)

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Steamed asparagus with poached egg

IMG_0036.jpg

Lunch - Roasted vegetable (beetroot, kohlrabi and red onion), bulgar wheat and spicy red pepper paste wrap. (B plus 6). OK, so this was a lavash wrap that I grabbed in Asda - high fibre, low in fat, yeast free. When I looked up the syns it came in at 15 :eek: - I only managed to eat 3/4's of it anyway so I am tweaking it. :giggle:

IMG_0037_3.jpg

Dinner - Chicken enchilada soup. (A for cheddar cheese). OHMIGOSH. This is just lovely, lovely, lovely. One of the best soups I've ever made. I have a tendency to feel a bit deprived having soup for dinner - it feels like more of a lunch thing to me - but this is really substantial, delicious and satisfying. It doesn't taste remotely like tweaked diet food, instead it is rich and filling. I recommend it unreservedly. Obviously I tweaked the original recipe here and there to make it free on Extra Easy.

IMG_0038_3.jpg

Snacks - M & S Posh roll (5) - DAMN THESE THINGS - with 1tsp butter (2) and 1 tsp PB (2). Gah!

Total syns - 15

Last edited:
IM BAAACKKKK

How the devil are you? Thanks for the nudge in the guts on my diary, I needed that. I have been lurking, mainly on here, looking at your delights. Loving the good food at the moment sweetie.

1) Can you please let me have your recipe for the Chicken Enchilada Soup, or at least send me a link to where you nicked it?
2) If my Mick heard you ladies call it Goat Curry, he wouldn't be best pleased - its Curry Goat! I have no idea, why those Caribbeans turn it round but they do! It is delish and I often crave it, in fact I craved it so bad yesterday I walked to the Caribbean Food Stand in Petticoat Lane and purchased myself some and read your diary whilst eating it!
3) In an attempt to be a squash fiend like your good self I thought I would take baby steps towards squash town and took a BNS from my mum's allotment and tried it, I love it! I have never been a fan before, I think because the first time I tried it (years ago) it turned out really sludgy and awful and I was scared off it after that. I have ordered another one and next week I may buy a proper squash - so brave aren't I?!

Kudos on the poached egg - mine always ends up in the pan as fragments of egg in hot water.

ARGH! Wrote a lovely entry earlier and when it posted there were two of them - so I shoved a photo of me and Olly onto the second one and now the first one has disappeared and I look like a deranged person. :eek:

I need to know your poached egg secret! Mine NEVER look that good (to the point that I've practically given up making them!)

There isn't really a secret to making them but I've had lots of practice making eggy water with hard yolks, so the way I do it now is born of reading loads of tips online!

Top Tips

Use spankingly fresh eggs - the fresher the better.
Make sure they are at room temperature - not straight out of the fridge
Use a BIG saucepan. I used to try and do them in a small milk pan and they never, ever worked. They need lots of room for the white to coalesce nicely around the yolk so the bigger the better.
You want well salted water at a rolling boil, add a dash of white wine vinegar and whisk the water around so that a "vortex" appears in the middle of the pan
Crack the egg into a shallow cup and then place that into the centre of the pan - don't crack the egg directly into pan.
The water will stop boiling as soon as the egg goes in - as soon as it starts bubbling again pull the egg out - it literally takes a minute.

IM BAAACKKKK

How the devil are you? Thanks for the nudge in the guts on my diary, I needed that. I have been lurking, mainly on here, looking at your delights. Loving the good food at the moment sweetie.

1) Can you please let me have your recipe for the Chicken Enchilada Soup, or at least send me a link to where you nicked it?
2) If my Mick heard you ladies call it Goat Curry, he wouldn't be best pleased - its Curry Goat! I have no idea, why those Caribbeans turn it round but they do! It is delish and I often crave it, in fact I craved it so bad yesterday I walked to the Caribbean Food Stand in Petticoat Lane and purchased myself some and read your diary whilst eating it!
3) In an attempt to be a squash fiend like your good self I thought I would take baby steps towards squash town and took a BNS from my mum's allotment and tried it, I love it! I have never been a fan before, I think because the first time I tried it (years ago) it turned out really sludgy and awful and I was scared off it after that. I have ordered another one and next week I may buy a proper squash - so brave aren't I?!

Kudos on the poached egg - mine always ends up in the pan as fragments of egg in hot water.

:bighug: I'm so glad you're back - I remember your nudges on my diary so thought I'd repay the favour :)

1) Chicken enchilada soup linky for you Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup

Tweaks to make it SW friendlier - I used spray oil instead of oil-oil. I left out the sugar. I obviously left out the cream! I added smoked paprika and a few slices of jalapeños out of a jar in addition to a regular green chilli. I replaced the tomato sauce with a carton of passata. It made enough for a generous bowl last night and again at lunch and I've frozen the rest of it and think I'll be albe to get two lots out of that if I add brown rice to the bowl. It's easy as it just goes in the slow cooker for the day.

2) OH MY! I will make sure I call it curry goat tomorrow while I'm cooking it, I might even put some Bob Marley on and sing to it while it's cooking to make it nice and relaxed ;) Any hints or tips for me on this recipe PLEASE?

3) SQUASHLOVE! Hooray! I love them so much - sweet, soft and SUPERFREE! I am about to order another Box O Squash as I've only got a couple left :eek:, I'm making squash falafels tonight but they don't seem to be doing very much...

Posting to subscribe - your meals look amazing! Hoping to get some inspiration.

Thank you and welcome to the madhouse!

Wednesday - HOLIDAYS! Oh no, halfway through. :(

I spent the day sorting out the swap between my summer and winter clothes and pulled everything out of my wardrobe and scrubbed it and then sorted everything out in there and now I keep going and looking at its tidiness with admiration. ;)

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Oat pancake (B + 0.5), banana and maple syrup (2). Coffee with coconut milk (3)

image-3875407119.jpg

Lunch - Chicken enchilada soup (A for cheese)

image-315260985.jpg

Dinner - Kabocha squash falafels, salad and tahini and yoghurt dressing (2.5)

image-894471187.jpg

Snacks - Half a posh roll (2.5) with a scrape of butter (1) - GODDAMMIT! I made this for the baby and she rejected it so suddenly it jumped into my mouth!

Total syns - 11.5

Last edited:
Its lovely to officially be back and feeling the love - talking of love, I love that photo of you and your son - you are GORGEOUS! I don't know why you have pics of squashes on your avatar when you should have a big smiling picture of yourself!

Thanks for you poached egg tips - my dad drops the egg (still in its shell) in the hot water for 30 seconds, then gets it out with a slotted spoon and then cracks it, he says it starts the outer albumen cooking and setting before the actual egg hits the water. I shall give it a go. I do have Lakeland cheater poached egg holders though just in case! Thanks for the recipe - I am going to give that a go. I might even use Turkey for a cheaper soup - its really good to take to work for lunch and filling I imagine, especially adding brown rice to the mix.

I have never actually made CURRY GOAT - shamefully, I have only ever had it from food stands :ashamed0005: - There is a Caribbean place at Westfield Stratford and a place in Lakeside and a food stand near work, so I have Curry Goat at my disposal - its quite a fatty, bony meat - the only tip I can give is Bob Marley up at full blast - it needs the West Indian Vibe whilst cooking.

I do make a lovely Caribbean Chicken Stew which I think you will like - I will dig it out for you.

Whats a posh roll? I think I need to try one!

I've forgotten my iPad so on my phone and it's pretty hopeless so I'll make it short!

THANK YOU for your compliments but I don't think I'm gorgeous at ALL so wouldn't have a pic of me as my avatar! :eek: also am a bit wary of people recognising me, as I can be a bit TOO truthful on my diary, IYKWIM ;)

The curry goat is smelling FANTASTIC! I wouldn't want to have to serve it to someone who knew what a 'proper' curry goat should taste like - I couldn't get hold of Jamaican curry powder so used just regular curry powder but I did manage to get some Dunns River All Purpose Seasoning do I've bunged some of that in. It's all a bit of a mish mash, but I've got big hopes for it.

I really wish I could hire you as a chef. Really really. I would be forever happy and smiling and slim and satisfied and excited for the next meal. I've decided if I win the lottery I'm going to buy you. I hope this is okay.

I really wish I could hire you as a chef. Really really. I would be forever happy and smiling and slim and satisfied and excited for the next meal. I've decided if I win the lottery I'm going to buy you. I hope this is okay.

I'm quite expensive (er....no, no I'm not, I'm cheap as chips ;))

THURSDAY - OH NO! HOLIDAYS ALMOST OVER.

So I was pretty off plan yesterday - well yesterday evening. Don't judge me, I'm on holiday!

I'm feeling very happy today.

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Home made hash brown, fried egg, balsamic asparagus, mushrooms and tomatoes

IMG_0737.jpg

Lunch - Kabocha squash falafels, couscous salad, tahini and yoghurt dressing (1)

IMG_0055_2.jpg

Dinner - Curry goat (B for coconut oil plus...let's call it 5 for the fat from the meat), rice and peas (1 for coconut water I cooked it in), plantain. OK so there's no super free but OH. MY. GOD. This was so so so good. And so, so so easy. Charley - giving you a shout out here, you can TOTALLY make this at home - I can't vouch for how authentic is was but it was utterly and completely relish. I cocked up the plantain as I wanted to make tostones, but I was somewhat squiffy by the time I was cooking them so they turned into plantain "dust". Tee hee.

IMG_0060_2.jpg

Snacks - Home made gingerbread latte (A + 0.5 for milk and syrup)

Total syns - 8.5 on food - tons on wine!

Last edited:
Ok i found the recipe - Instead of using Kara Coconut Milk - which to be honest isn't flavoursome enough, I would these days now take the hit for the proper coconut milk, light - I would much rather use my syns on a proper meal than on snacks anyway - as I think you do too, is that right?

Now, swapsy please, give me the Curry Goat recipe!!!!!! Fairs fair. I just need to find a goat selling vendor that doesnt look as dodgy as the ones round my way!!!!!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/296472-caribbean-chicken-stew.html

Back