Only me in my way! VLCD

Chubby chick 2023

Silver Member
I have reached a stage in my life where there are no more excuses. Previously I have always been able to make them: my job's too stressful, my kids are too young, I haven't got time to exercise, I haven't got enough money etc etc.
I'll be 40 at the end of this year. My children are getting more and more independent (well, happier to talk to their screens than need anything from me). I am self employed in a career I love and working from home. I have LOADS of spare time. I have enough money to afford a bicycle, a Les Mills subscription, I have all the exercise equipment I could need plus a strong pair of legs for the cheapest exercise possible: walking.
I am in charge of what I eat.
There are literally no excuses left. I'm in the worst shape of my life but I am the only person who can change that.

So here I go. No start weight yet as I asked my husband to record it this morning without me looking at the scales, and he will weigh me in every Sunday.

I have given up alcohol for the next six months. I've never been a big drinker, but even one or two glasses give me nasty hangovers which lead to junk food etc. As mentioned my 40th birthday is just after Xmas and that's my goal time to be in good shape.

I'm doing Exante. I've had success before and I have a lot in my cupboard. I'll try to exercise everyday and I'll try to keep this as a diary. Even if things don't go to plan, journaling will help shed some light on why.

It's got to be done, there are NO more excuses available! Alas 😔😁

So end of day one, and it's been not unsuccessful. Three products (porridge, soup, bar) and snack of 3 boiled eggs and I'm done. Did a half hour body combat workout and went for a short walk, but still only managed 9000 steps today. Not hungry. I know the way for me to have a successful day is to push the first product back as late as possible so I distracted myself with various important tasks (candy crush mainly) and had my porridge at 2pm. Work tomorrow doesn't start til midday, so ordinarily I'd do a home workout in the morning, but we have builders working at the moment and no one needs to see that! Maybe just a walk - if it stops pissing down! Well done me :)

Welcome Chick! Well done, you! Look forward to following your weight loss.

Thanks AliGal :)
Yesterday seemed to go on for ever and I was shattered at the end. Got out for a walk in the morning and went to charity shop. Did my usual thing of buying what I thought would be a smart, stylish top and when I got it home realised it makes me look like Mrs Brown, so into the wardrobe it goes with all the other poorly fitting things I've bought which refuse to go over my now ridiculously-sized chest! When/if/WHEN I lose weight again I can't wait to go shopping in my wardrobe, I have so many lovely things that I've bought but never been able to wear.
Award for willpower of the week goes to me. We found ourselves with a spare hour or so during the day and so my husband took me to a bakery he's been banging on about. He bought an almond croissant/pain au chocolat hybrid. I bought a cup of tea!

Food was fine yesterday: bar, porridge, soup and three boiled eggs.
No exercise session but nearly 13000 steps.
Possibly because it's time of the month, or possibly because life has opened up again and there's suddenly so much to plan/do after a year of nothing, or possibly because of work, or possibly because of the building work ongoing, but I'm feeling tired and stressed at the moment. Need to keep an eye on this, this often leads to overeating. Still, 2 good days under my belt.......

Thanks, I love the diet doctor website, and it's a good reminder to have some stock or something to keep me going.
Another tiring, quite grumpy day today. Got out for a walk this morning then down to work, not only our builders making a noise but next door were having some work on their roof so that was incredibly loud. Not ideal when trying to hold meetings from home. Had plenty of time to do more exercise tonight, but too tired and achy so have withdrawn to a lovely hot bath. My order of seedlip alcohol free gin has arrived and so I'm having a lovely big glass with diet Tonic, ice and lime. Feels like a relaxing grown up drink 😂.
Food today: hot cross bun bar (never had before, was tasty), soup, porridge and will have three eggs in a bit.
Early night tonight and who knows perhaps tomorrow I'll do a workout as well as a walk. Will finish on around 11000 steps today.
At least I haven't turned to food in my general eyore-like fug today.

OK, feeling marginally more energetic and less grumpy today - just need to make it past the danger zone. For a lot of people it's the evenings which are dangerous because of snacking, but for me if I can make it til noon without eating I'll probably be ok for the rest of the day, because it means I can eat 12/3/6/8 and it's not too long to go between meals. If I eat when I get up it starts my hunger off and I'm more likely to sack off the rest of the day and binge. Breakfast cereals are a massive trigger food for me. We can't have Frosties or crunchy-nut cornflakes in the house because I will binge on them, so my husband knows not to buy them. I think it's a childhood thing..... in fact just thinking about them now is setting me off! Right, head down and start work :)

OK, feeling marginally more energetic and less grumpy today - just need to make it past the danger zone. For a lot of people it's the evenings which are dangerous because of snacking, but for me if I can make it til noon without eating I'll probably be ok for the rest of the day, because it means I can eat 12/3/6/8 and it's not too long to go between meals. If I eat when I get up it starts my hunger off and I'm more likely to sack off the rest of the day and binge. Breakfast cereals are a massive trigger food for me. We can't have Frosties or crunchy-nut cornflakes in the house because I will binge on them, so my husband knows not to buy them. I think it's a childhood thing..... in fact just thinking about them now is setting me off! Right, head down and start work :)
Good luck! I am the same, if I can put off eating in the morning, the day is a success, though at the moment it's drinking (my shakes!)

Yes, it's all psychological isn't it. I made it til 12:15 and have now had a porridge, think I need to order some more. The best success I ever had with Exante was the first time when I just used shakes. And only 3 flavours of shakes to begin with as I got a deal. However I think to stick with it this time round I'll need the variety of the foods - not only different textures but sometimes I can't bear the thought of another sweet shake. Onwards with the afternoon!

Hi there Fat Chick

Thought I was reading my own profile in your first post....I'm 40 in December, have been struggling to lose weight for 10 years. I have 3 kids, 14, 11 and 9 years old. I'm self employed with a physical job. No excuses anymore. Determined to feel good about myself when I turn 40.
Just started Exante today, felt very dizzy and weak by lunchtime. Do you think it's a good idea to start on the 800 plan?

I left my morning one so late that I am only just having my lunch one! Temped to skip the 3rd now as I am not hungry! Think if I am to every diet again, I will try that one for a change! Though my intention is to never, ever, diet again!!

Hi Kapow, I don't see why not. Order a variety of the foods etc. I get used to the hunger, but it's the boredom that does me in every time. Drink stock/bovril etc to help make sure you have enough salt. I don't have a physical job at all, so make sure you're actually eating enough, you might need to top it up? 40 feels like a bit of a milestone doesn't it. I wonder if I'll start to feel like a proper grown up then? It hasn't happened yet!

I left my morning one so late that I am only just having my lunch one! Temped to skip the 3rd now as I am not hungry! Think if I am to every diet again, I will try that one for a change! Though my intention is to never, ever, diet again!!
You see, I think I've made peace with the fact that I'll probably always be in a 'weight on' 'weight off' cycle. I always have been, but gradually the arcs have got bigger as I've got older. I'd like to bring it down to smaller parameters. I'd also like this to be the last time I feel I have to do a VLCD, and switch to low carb for main way of eating, but I know I'll probably never have a 'healthy, moderate' relationship with sweet food.
There's also something a bit weird that makes dieting harder the older I get; when I was younger I would truly hate my body if I put on weight which would allow me to punish myself with extreme diets etc. Now,. although I'm the heaviest I've been, I actually quite like and appreciate myself, so it makes it harder to do things that make me uncomfortable. I don't know if that makes sense? Obviously it makes fitness easier as health is an important goal for me.
I have dodgy knees and I know they'd be so much better with a couple of stone removed from bearing down on them.
I agree with the late eating though, I've done a couple of weeks in OMAD before and j quite enjoyed it.

Yesterday wasn't bad at all. Had a walk in the middle of the day, and then went out for another with my husband in the evening. What was meant to be a short stroll turned into 5km hiking over ploughed fields (with my husband insisting 'its a public right of way!) and wading through flooded footpaths, so I arrived back soaking, mud covered and pretty knackered. Finished the day on 18000 steps. I allowed myself another product as I thought I might be too hungry to sleep so yesterday was:
Porridge/soup/bar/eggs/bar.
I don't want to get into the habit of extras but it still felt like a better decision than waking up starving at 3am and hitting the Shreddies!

Hi Kapow, I don't see why not. Order a variety of the foods etc. I get used to the hunger, but it's the boredom that does me in every time. Drink stock/bovril etc to help make sure you have enough salt. I don't have a physical job at all, so make sure you're actually eating enough, you might need to top it up? 40 feels like a bit of a milestone doesn't it. I wonder if I'll start to feel like a proper grown up then? It hasn't happened yet!
Thanks for replying. The bovril sounds like a good tip, I'll try that. Better than drinking tea or coffee as I miss the chocolate biscuits that normally go with.
Just tried the porridge, tasted better than it looked but only while it very hot, same with the maple syrup pancakes yesterday.
Can't imagine turning 40 will make me feel like a proper grown up, still feel like I'm 18, just wish I was the size 8 I was back then 😄

Waiting for a parcel from eBay to turn up. Have a posh wedding to go to (actually,.most weddings are posh aren't they?) And my plan in the new year was to slim effortlessly into a beautiful dress I had. Well, like a lot of plans this year and last, it has not gone swimmingly so I have bought a dress in the next size up. I've fought the urge to make my excuses and not go, something I often used to do when feeling too 'fat' for an event. It's ridiculous, no one cares what I look like, it's kind of about the bride and (hearing my mum's voice echoing in my head) I'll enjoy myself when I get there! 😁
It's a black dress so I've also booked myself in for a fake tan, again something I haven't done for years. Hope this dress fits when it arrives!!
I do have another wedding to go to at the beginning of July, maybe the original dress will work by then?!?!

Sounds like a good plan and a lovely tan always makes you feel so much more confident and even slightly slimmer. Hope it fits, remember to return if it doesn't 😊
I have wedding next year which is my main motivation for weightless, all my friends very tall and slim while I'm short and curvy.
I'm exactly the same even with non posh events, often drop out at the last minute because I can't find anything to wear that makes me feel good about myself 😕

You see, I think I've made peace with the fact that I'll probably always be in a 'weight on' 'weight off' cycle. I always have been, but gradually the arcs have got bigger as I've got older. I'd like to bring it down to smaller parameters. I'd also like this to be the last time I feel I have to do a VLCD, and switch to low carb for main way of eating, but I know I'll probably never have a 'healthy, moderate' relationship with sweet food.
There's also something a bit weird that makes dieting harder the older I get; when I was younger I would truly hate my body if I put on weight which would allow me to punish myself with extreme diets etc. Now,. although I'm the heaviest I've been, I actually quite like and appreciate myself, so it makes it harder to do things that make me uncomfortable. I don't know if that makes sense? Obviously it makes fitness easier as health is an important goal for me.
I have dodgy knees and I know they'd be so much better with a couple of stone removed from bearing down on them.
I agree with the late eating though, I've done a couple of weeks in OMAD before and j quite enjoyed it.
Yes same, but like you, I do not want to do an extreme diet anymore! Your knees will certainly benefit, my back does with weight loss. I didn't realise how much so until I lost the weight then re-gained some. Health is also important to me, especially so being a nurse, I see the consequences of an unhealthy lifestyle! It is good you appreciate yourself and yes it does make sense. Self love is very important. x

Back