OT Sorry men.Mirenal coil or exercise weight gain?

size102b

Banned
Hi I am seriously considering having my new mirenal coil out Im 100% sure its messed up my weight,I had it in 7 weeks ago,I had 17 weeks of losses and since I had it in Ive had 2 gains? I have stuck to plan 100% the whole time and even started zumba and combat areobics classes,actually I started zumba the same time as my new coil ?
Is it the exercise or the coil it must be one as I have stuck to it to the letter?
I weigh in mondays gained 2.5lbs last week :confused: the scales today show just 1.5lbs loss not even the 2.5lbs I know I have till Monday but my weight is never lower after weekends.
I seem to lose when I have under my points my last weighin when I lost was 2.5lbs and 3.5lbs both weeks I didnt exercise (neck prob) and ate under my points a little?
I dont know what to do,have the coil out and maybe eat less points or have the coil out eat AP or just carry on.........I have such along way to go and I know its not a race but gaining every month its going to take forever and I will lose my mojo and cheat soon :cry:

No advice i'm afraid but I am pretty much in the same boat, had the implant in my arm a few weeks back, rejoined ww 2 weeks ago, earned 9 AP which I did not eat and lost only 1lb on my first week.

I have always struggled to lose weight, dr's don't seem to think its worth investigating yet nurse is always harping on at me to lose. I really do think all this carp we women put in our bodies that release hormones do not help weight loss.

x

Ahhh hun ((hugs)) the doctor said at the family planning clinic dont have an implant you'll gain weight and its hard to shift.........
I think Ill have my coil out at my next appointment as its making me very pmt Grrrr lol and I just feel anxious with it,arent we lucky us women hey :/ xx

Oh yes lucky us!!!!

When i asked about the weight issue when the implant was put in she said its unlikely you'll gain (more!) and I was just as likely to gain weight with the pill i was on for years - well that explains it then!

I'd say you've only had it in for 7 weeks, so there's bound to be a settling in period as it will have higher levels of hormones than your last one. 2 gains with losses in between is hardly "ruining" your weight loss. So i'd say just give it a chance to settle down.

mmm two gains when I didnt have 1 gain in 17 weeks is mentally demovating.
2 gains in 7 weeks is alot its 5lbs the losses inbetween are taken up but the gains.

I definitely know how you're feeling; a few years back I'd done really well losing weight; gone on the pill and put 2 stone on in about 2 months! I mentioned it to the doc and he just said that I was probably eating more - when I came off it I lost a stone without even changing what I was eating! A few weeks back I took that tablet that delays your period if you're going away or something; and I put on 10lb in the 6 days I was taking it! As soon as I cam off I started to lose weight and half a stone vanished in three days! It definitely provied to me that hormones effects my weight; and I will be staying clear!! Think you just need to weigh up the pros and cons for you and see whether you are happy to lose weight more slowly whilst having the coil; or taking it out and then having other stuff to deal with... Hugs! x

Thanks Hun :) I don't mind losing 1-2 lbs acweek with an odd 3 thrown it lol it's just hard when it's a gain and I know it's nit a race but losing 4lbs a month is going to take a long time if it stays at 4lbs a month?
It's hard as I love no monthly visitors but my moods are bad now when pre coil they were just a little grr lol , also not wanting anymore babies as I'm 40 is another worry.
You went through awful gains that's why I'd never go back to the pill.
Desisions xx

i lose 4lbs a month usually and im majorly pleased with that tbh, it's just because your 100% and not use to gains, thing is no one is perfect no matter how hard we try, you wouldnt of done anything wrong, cant blame anything it's just one of those things that happen and we have to deal with it, because its only taken a few months for you to lose your stones your body is still trying to get use to what your doing, therefore will be holding onto anything it can whilst it gets use to your new routine normally people who have lots to lose always lose more at the start then they gradually get down to a particular weight and begin to slow down the losses, it's just something your body does, nothing else. Apart from starving yourself i doubt there is anything that can be done to actually change the way your body just wants to go slow on the weight loss for a while

smirky tbh I could understand what you say but I am still 14st 6lbs so along way off target and I see people on here that had less than me to lose lose more than me,my losses we ok pre coil not huge and some weeks pants.As you siad I am 100% and exercise every week so 4lbs a month isnt a great loss,people (I dont know about you if you are 100%.what would you say you are?) who arent 100% and get 4lbs a month losses I think thats good as it has to show up somewhen as the body only understands what goes in whats needed and whats stored or lost.
If I was your weight 4lbs a month wouldnt be as bad but Im 2 stone heavier than you.......I know what your saying but I feel like people on plans seem to cheat and lose where as I do stick to it 100% and gain which is very odd ;) xx

Cherry, I can really understand your frustration - there is nothing worse than knowing you are doing everything right yet still somehow gained.

I have the same coil as you and I don't know whether it affects my weight loss or not so I'm not much help on that I'm afraid! I know that for me personally, I wouldn't swap it for anything, as the benefits I gain far outweigh the possibility that it might be slowing down my weight loss, or even causing me the occasional gain, but that's just how I feel. I guess the problem is that there is no real way of proving whether the coil is to blame for your two gains, or whether it's just the stage in your weight loss where this is going to happen occasionally, without having it taken out - but do you want it taken out? If you are happy with it aside from this then it is a harder decision than if you have other issues with it.

From reading this forum, I've been quite surprised to see the different rates people lose weight at and the different things that affect people's weight loss - you might be being a bit hard on yourself if you are comparing your losses with other peoples. I don't envy you the decision, but whatever you decide, don't ever lose sight of how well you have done up to now.

Sorry I haven't really been any help here!

Lesley
X

Size102b, have been following this thread since me initial comment. Waaaaay back when I was on SW in 2002/3 I was on a pill and complasined to my Dr about it possibly slowing down my losses and he put me on Yasmin which is supposed to help you lose weight - did sweet FA and I ended up back on the pill I was more comfortable on. I did lose weight - about 4 sone in a year, I had to to get my breast reduction, after which the weight slowly crept back on and on and on and here I am now (with bigger boobs again!) I have 2 friends who are also on an eating plan ww & sw, one will lose 3-4b a week but complain she will gain weight by looking at a sausage, she will then gain 3.5lb the next week. I have another who if she is good she can lose 1lb, if she is REALLY good she can lose 1.5, maybe 2lb. Like me she cannot cheat the system. We are all on some form of contraception.

I have begged and pleaded with my DH to have the snip so I can stop stuffing my body full of hormones but he won't do it.

Is age something to do with it I wonder. Aside from the break to have my son i have been on the pill for nearly 20 years, I never gained weight or had a problem til having my son. After my son I had the depo injection, in my mind thats where it started. I came out of hospital wearing size 14 jeans, had the jab 6 weeks after and within 6 weeks I was wearing a size 18/20 dress. Since then I have fought this battle with my weight and I swear its getting harder the older I get.

Sorry I've rambled and offered no actual advice, just wanted to elaborate.

x

I am on my second Mirena I had the first one in for 5 years and then had a break from it swearing it was the cause of my weight gain and promising I wouldn't get another but the return of the monthly changed my mind lol.

What I found on it was that I gained very easily, I have to take responsibility for that because I was eating everything in sight but my gains were much faster than they would have been ordinarily, I know this isn't the same as your situation as you are following plan 100% but I wasn't, I craved sugar and I had it...by the bucketload lol.

I was also suffering depression at the time so being completely honest I knew my weight was creeping up but had other things on my mind so I let it slide badly and gained almost 5 stone. This wasn't due to the Mirena it was my habits and I would have gained the weight no matter what I was using it was my mindset at the time.

I had a new one put in a few months ago round about the time that I was seriously starting to try and lose weight. What I found was over the first 6-8 weeks I was badly retaining water and this could be why you are seeing gains, I drank water and calorie counted but it didn't make a difference I was still gaining a lb here or there. I did use water retention tablets for a few days to try and combat the bloating and I would still use them occasionally as I find that round about the time I would have been due to have the monthly (sorry guys!) I still get the bloating etc and this combats that.

It does sort itself out and my losses have mostly been very good since then but that's because I'm more aware of what I'm eating now. I too have had 2 gains in the last maybe 4 months and I do put it down to water retention as I can't think what else it would be, it does sort itself out and I think the benefits outweigh the possible negatives.

I wouldn't be without the Mirena now but if I ever had another bout of depression or similar it wouldn't be the method for me, I think it works best for people that are consciously watching what they eat, there's no room on it for just eating what you like and I do think that after the settling down stage it is fantastic. I have lost 27lb while I have had my second Mirena in and I know I'm going to lose the rest :)

Stick with it hun and give it a while to settle down, if you think it could be retention try aqua ban or something, it can't be anything you're doing wrong as you're following the plan perfectly so give it a little while to adjust and if it doesn't settle maybe then think about getting it removed.

Hope this helps a little x

smirky tbh I could understand what you say but I am still 14st 6lbs so along way off target and I see people on here that had less than me to lose lose more than me,my losses we ok pre coil not huge and some weeks pants.As you siad I am 100% and exercise every week so 4lbs a month isnt a great loss,people (I dont know about you if you are 100%.what would you say you are?) who arent 100% and get 4lbs a month losses I think thats good as it has to show up somewhen as the body only understands what goes in whats needed and whats stored or lost.
If I was your weight 4lbs a month wouldnt be as bad but Im 2 stone heavier than you.......I know what your saying but I feel like people on plans seem to cheat and lose where as I do stick to it 100% and gain which is very odd ;) xx

hey hun; when i was around 14st 7lbs i couldn't shift any, if you look back over my posts i'd be gutted too because i'd be losing each week with an odd gain here and there when i went out during the week and over points, but apart from that i stuck to it, and i still find it difficult when im going into the next stone bracket between half stones getting to the full stone as in; 14st 7lbs - 14st, 13st 7lbs - 13st etc i find it more difficult to get the weight shifted it just doesn't budge

you know in yourself your not doing anything wrong with the plan, and you know that ww works 100% fully; that's why i say it's just one of those things you have to stick out i'm afraid im sure it will all correct itself in time, but for now your body just wants to work this way

at the start for many weeks i was 100% exercise and food etc, and i still only lost 4lbs a month sometimes getting up to 6lbs but not a lot more than that and that would be the very odd month.

it's how individuals body react to weight loss it may be water retention it might not be; it might be the coil, it might not be, you can't really be sure for definite and that's why i say just wait it out, because if you start messing around with different things, tablets or changing how many points exercise etc it might make you put on more instead of losing because your messing around with it etc, thats the only reason i say wait it out, because you know in the past for 90% of the time you've had fab losses and its just two rare times youve gained, if you compare that to all your losses and in the space of time its amazingly good and i wouldnt chance messing around with different things to try and speed up the weight losses or to ensure you always lose, because may do more harm than good :) xx

I had the implant several years ago and no matter what I ate or did I couldn't shift any weight apart from the stone I gained and lost with each 'period'. I was depressed as I was spot bleeding for days on end, not the desired effect! I was very hormonal and would snap at my (now-ex) boyfriend over the slightest thing. I had it taken out and since then I have gained weight due to pregnancy but am now on the Pill and have been (so far) losing the weight with no problems.
I had been interested in the Coil and was considering once I had reached target but reading the posts on here and various other sites I am thinking it may not be a good idea!
I would say to anyone with either, you probably need to give it a good 6 months to help the hormones settle in but if it really is affecting your weightloss and your weelbeing then I would get it removed. My nurse made me go away and think about it before I returned a week later, adament I wanted it out.

Not sure what to tell you to do - us women have it hard I tell you. Me, I am on HRT and this does not help with the weight loss. On a new one as of this morning and it has extra progesterone in it - not sure how this is going to help me. Hoping your system sorts itself out soon for you. You've been brilliant following the plan so please don't let this get you down. You know youself that you are following it 100%.

Thanks for all your Lovely support, I really appreciate it xxxx

Weigh in I lost 1.5 lbs so still 1 lbs on from the 2.5lbs gain last week.
I am a little peed off as the exercise alone was alot and have struggled all thus week to stay 100% but there's nothing else I can do, I maybe going away next week so might nit be as careful and see if it fools my body , knowing my luck I'll gain 7lbs if I don't stick at it 100%.

Thanks again everyone xxx

Thanks for all your Lovely support, I really appreciate it xxxx

Weigh in I lost 1.5 lbs so still 1 lbs on from the 2.5lbs gain last week.
I am a little peed off as the exercise alone was alot and have struggled all thus week to stay 100% but there's nothing else I can do, I maybe going away next week so might nit be as careful and see if it fools my body , knowing my luck I'll gain 7lbs if I don't stick at it 100%.

Thanks again everyone xxx

Hun, maybe your body is losing inches instead at the moment.. Well done on the 1.5lb loss thats fab!!
I have been looking at the way ive lost weight and I can personally see I lost weight a lot quicker when I wasn't doing exercise and now im doing exercise, the weight is coming off slower and the inches loss has increased dramatically. I know what its like having the mental image of what weight you want to be, believe me ive been there and am still wanting the same thing, but just think of the inches your losing,and the good your doing for your body!

Hiya thanks :) my inch loss is the same each month except month one where I dud no exercise, I've been doing exercise since week 4 and gave changed it, what I can't understand is if muscle and fat weigh the same a lbs a lb but muscle takes up more area how do we lose inches? Why do people say muscle weighs more than fat is it that they both weigh the same but as muscle takes up more room we look toned as fat just soft and muscle is hard? So is it not showing up as a loss as fats been converted to muscle so the weights the same ??? Lol

can I ask how did you lose 5inches off your upper arm? My inch loss is 7 inches off waist 7 off bust 7 off hips just 1 off each arm 3.5 off thighs. My arms aren't shrinking :( xx

Back