Overcoming chocolate cravings

Smiley Bon

Silver Member
I was just wondering if people had any tips for overcoming those awful chocolate cravings?!!

I have heard of ideas such as just having one of those 10p Freddy Frog choc bars, or buying a box of Celebrations and just having 2 when you feel a craving... but I would soooo just eat the whole box!!

Any ideas from anyone?

How about having a drink of water...my favourite's sparkling...and waiting for a while whilst you distract yourself. I'm on the Cambridge Diet and I have half a choc flavour shake drink to to take the edge off if I really need to.

Depends what diet youre on. If youre Calorie counting, on WW or SW etc then have something if its what you want, just incorporate it into your menu. Find some low points/syn/cal goodies and keep them in, sometimes I find knowing I have something in and its there if I want it, kills the craving, its when I dont have something available or think 'I cant have it' that the problems start

If you have chocolate, keep it in the fridge or freezer, it lasts SO much longer ;)

the fridge/freezer idea is a good one!!

i love the skinny cow ice cream things but you aren't an ice cream fan are you? hmmm.

hot chocolate is a good idea. especially at the mo when it's all wintery.

sorry. i haven't been helpful at all. so i'll just say hi again. hi :D

abz xx

Oh I like the hot chocolate idea... you can get some really nice low cal and low fat ones and in different flavours... and also chocolate milkshake, I'd forgotten I used to drink that when i had a craving... Those ideas might be the way forward for me :D

Thanks for your help :)

Again low cal isn't always the answer...cocoa is less fattening than hot choccie as it doesn't have all the carbs in it (and carbs tend to make one feel hungry)...I also eat very dark choccie now 85 - 86% cocoa solids...you only need a couple of squares...it's real food, honest!

Again low cal isn't always the answer...cocoa is less fattening than hot choccie as it doesn't have all the carbs in it (and carbs tend to make one feel hungry)...I also eat very dark choccie now 85 - 86% cocoa solids...you only need a couple of squares...it's real food, honest!

Spot on there :clap:

It does depend on which diet you are doing, but according to your 'sidebar' you are just doing the 'healthy eating' thing ;)

If that's the case, ditch the additives put in stuff to make it palatable (because it aint if you've taken the fats and sugars out) and go for the dark chocolate of 80% cocoa or more. Much harder to overeat compared to milk chocolate and curbs the cravings quicker.

I put a teaspoon of cocoa in some plain fat free yogurt, that helps my chocolate cravings.

I also try to imagine chocolate coming out of a dog's rear end. That sometimes works!

Oh i like that cocoa and yoghurt idea :) sounds lovely :D

And your other idea made me chuckle, hehe, I think that might help you know!!

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas :D I have been doing ok at resisting :D well til Friday when i had a Whole Nut bar... but I enjoyed it soooo much! and that was my treat, so i wont feel too bad about it. I am back to being good again.

I overcome the choc craving with the new Mullerlight yoghurts with Chocolate sprinkles in it....I love them.

Although, if I'm ever craving chocolate it's usually just cos I need an energy boost and so put a sugar in my tea once in a while.

Goood luck overcoming the craving

K x

Ah thanks for your thoughts :D

I can't have the Muller Light yoghurts though as they aren't veggie friendly - boo!

I was thinking about my chocolate craving, and it is always about mid afternoon when i just need a boost to get me through the afternoon.... So i was thinking it must be the sugar that helps... so I am thinking of trying hot choc with sweetner in it :D something sweet but ok is what i need... humm... fruit i suppose...

Thanks for the thoughts Indieflower :) very kind.

Before I forget, one of my fave protein top ups is this and it only comes to 90 calories if that: 125g danone activia natural low fat yoghurt (yeah I know low fat!) with a teaspoon of cocoa mixed well in with a teaspoon of splenda...mmmm...it has a fab 6.1g of protein! And the carb levels aren't bad if you are doing low carbing...

ive been having a celebrations chocolate a day or after eights but, i know everyones different im not tempted to eat the whole box.

otherwise I like veg and dips or riveta i also have grapes and, i have weight watches yogurts which are really nice they do cheese cake ones, sometimes i have nesquick chocolate milk or nescafe skinny capucino, I also have honey on toast with a bit of butter on.

Last edited:
hey honey. have you had the alpro chocolate desserts? they are low in cals, fat and are vegan so you shouldn't have any probs there. usually with the long life milk etc in the supermarket, not the yoghurts section. and they are SO yummy. might have to look those out again myself...

abz xx

I chew sugarfree gum when I'm craving chocolate. It's still sweet, and two pieces usually knock my chocolate cravings on the head quite substantially.

Trouble is with chewing gum, it can make some people (I am one of those people) hungry or hungrier...must be the action of the enzymes in saliva or something?!

i think the chewing helps me. a lot of the time when i'm eating i'm not actually hungry, so chomping on something stops me shoving something else into my mouth...

abz xx

Back