Pack Cycling

floss

Hello lovelies. :)

I was just wondering if anyone had every cycled their packs? By this I mean adding them all up for the week (7x4=28) then dividing them up and having different amounts on each day. This is done a lot with carbs and calories and I used to do it to keep my metabolism going i.e 1200 monday, 900 tuesday, 1300 wednesday, 600 thursday etc. I weighed myself this morning as I have a big thing to lose weight for in 3 weeks time and iv lost nothing since sunday and im scared Im slowing way down already, so am considering doing this. I guess my week would look something like:

4, 3, 6, 3, 6, 2, 4 (packs)

I won't give it a go just yet but it's something to think about!

I know what you're talking about - calorie zig zagging... I'm not sure it works with a diet with such low calorie content such as this... The weight loss after first 2 weeks stabilisies to a steady 1-3 lb per week (depening on your build and starting weight)...

I don't think you can accelerate your weight loss on a diet such as this - on the packs people report loss stagnation if they even do exercise... So.. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you can't drop 2 stone in 3 weeks for example - if you're naturally predisposed to lose weight quickly - you'll drop about 10lb in that period of time. I'm a slow weight loser - so I'd be hoping for a maximum of 6lb in those 3 weeks even with the weight I do actually carry.

In all honesty - patience is key.

Sunday was only 2 days ago! Stop being impatient :p Weight loss isn't a steady game. If you lose 7lbs in a week, it won't be 1lb each day. I've had weekends where the day before I've shown no loss at all and then the next day on WI I'm down over 2lbs.

The other thing that you'll have to think about is that you're not actually that overweight. You want to lose 2 and a half stone but you are actually at a healthy BMI and so that means that you're going to lose slower no matter what you do really. If I were you I'd also take a look at whether you should actually be doing just 4 packs a day. Maybe I've said this to you before, I know I said it to someone but can't remember who now, but the guidelines are that if you have a BMI of under 25 you shouldn't be doing a VLCD, which is under 800 calories. If I were you I'd email S&S for some advice, you might find that you will actually lose more by eating a little more as it'll boot your metabolism and stop you going into starvation mode.

Calorie cycling, you got the right phrase :), is something that works but not on a diet like this really, it's just too low already. It's having a high day and then a low day but where your days average to probably 1200 for it to have any real benefit. I wouldn't cycle on S&S because I wouldn't think it would be particularly healthy or safe to do. Just keep going, think about upping your intake and you'll get there!

Thanks guys. I know im inpatient I just want it off! And my bmi is only just okay and I know if I go back to food my weight will shoot up again, it's a tricky one. I thought that ketosis meant starvation mode didn't happen? Might have got that totally wrong...which is why I need your opinion :p

Are you saying that the weight loss on this diet will be the same after the first week as say a 1200 calorie plan? Because that seems really weird. Also do you think if you were in my position you would be doing this plan at all? I really appreciate all your opinions and you could never sound harsh...it just honest! I want this weight off and iv tried for years and never been able to get past this point apart from after a break up, I just don't want to do this wrong anymore which is why im trying to make it work :)

Sorry for the rambling...you've got me thinking! x

No, ketosis doesn't mean that you can't go into starvation mode. You could be eating 1500 calories a day and be in ketosis if your carbs are low, then you won't be in starvation mode, but if your calories are low enough you can do. It's not an overnight thing though, it's something that you slip into over time. How long though completely depends on the individual though.

I completely understand you being impatient, I feel exactly the same! I think we all do lol Personally, if I were you, I would carry on with S&S but I'd add in extra protein to take me to about 800 calories. That way it's still a low calorie diet, it's still mostly controlled by packs so more simple and easy to stick to rigidly. It'd just be having 3 packs a day and a bigger protein meal or even 4 packs a day plus a protein meal. I'm surprised that S&S have no mention of a BMI under 25 on their site, other than agreeing that you're over that when ordering, as all other VLCDs set out a plan for if you're under that.

It's about finding what works for you though. What you feel happy and comfortable with. Do 4 packs a day feel like enough for you? Do you feel tired, dizzy, light headed at all?

In all honesty - I have read various bits of scientific research that state that the difference in LONG-TERM weight loss of plans of 600 calories per day (VLCD) and 800-1200 per day (LCD) actually are very similar. This is not within the first few weeks - but rather over a long period of time. This may be - not just down to food intake on its own, but also because on a VLCD you generally have less energy and on a LCD there's more energy for exercise and such.

I also found - in the past, when my BMI was 22 or so - I would try to aim for 1200 calories per day and still lost weight - quite comparably as to when I was on LL.

The main point to take away is patience - weight loss doesn't happen overnight or within a few weeks. It's all about lifestyle change and making healthier choices. :)

You are a similar weight to me (BMI). I am also losing a few pounds for an event. This a great short term way to do that. however I note that you hoped for BMI is under 19. this seems way too low and you should rethink it - especially as you struggle to get past your current weight.

I understand what it means to be just a little thinner for an event, it is nice to feel nice. But i bet you could achieve that sensation after a half a stone weight loss too. For me, being just five pounds lighter feels amazing and significant.

In terms of being on packs at a lower BMI. I tend to use them for a week or two at the most. I usually have four a day and then go back to eating a low carb diet in between. I would say that i am in ketosis most of the time. I have packs only when my weight has gone up by half a stone and i I am struggling to get it down any other way. it is a last resort.

if you are looking at this as a long term thing you should consider eating a meal each day. Protein and veg in addition to the packs.

What youre suggesting isnt going to make any difference, youre not going to speed up your losses at all messing with the plan. Having 3 packs a day means youre not getting all the nutrients you need, do this regularly and youll make yourself ill.

S&S packs are an average of about 130kcals each. The definition of a vlcd is anything under 800, whether its 425 (like CD I think) or 700 the losses work out the same. 6 packs at 130 kcals is 780kcals still the definition of a vlcd.

Not losing anything since Sunday isnt unusual, in an ideal world wed lose regularly every day but it doesnt work that way. I know I tend to lose my weight at one end of the week or another, not regularly spaced out.

A VLCD is the fastest possible way of losing weight, messing with the formula is if anything going to slow your losses down. Not speed them up

I'm totally with you about having no patience and wanting more and more off each week - but, take a step back and have a look at my losses. I've messed about for most of this year so far for one reason or another, only had a couple of weeks on the full plan in terms of overall calorie intake being VLC - the rest I've stayed in ketosis for the majority of the time, but haven't been low cal at all - more Atkins on some weeks. I've been frustrated with my losses all the same, but look how it adds up. This is my 21st week since starting, and I had a week off for Christmas in that time - and I've dropped over 4 stone. Previously I took 104 weeks to lose half of that amount.

It does work, and it will work, but I really wouldn't mess with it as you suggest, and I'd really consider upping your intake too. Look at what you want to lose in terms of a percentage rather than in pounds and stones, and you'll see you'll be averaging the same sort of percentage loss as everyone else :)

Patience is the key to this diet. It averages out you will lose one stone a month so you will lose eventually. I would however say that your ideal BMI that you have chosen is a tiny amount away from being classed as underweight for your height. Try and split your weight loss into blocks of 7lbs at a time and see how you go, the less you have to lose the longer it may take.

Hi,

Be careful messing about with the packs... When I was doing this last year the weight was dropping off, I felt great, wasn't hungry so was missing packs then my hair started dropping out.... Lots of it every day!! I'm lucky I have lots of hair.... I'm sure that was because I was not getting enough nutrients most days...

Good luck :)

Back