Packed lunches

LilyF

Does anyone have any ideas for lunches? I'm an office worker and find it so frustrating that most menus on diets seem to presume you have access to a kitchen during the day.

What do other people pack up to take to work? Tuna salad is about as exciting as I get :(

Pasta with some meat ect mixed in?!

i sometimes have a boiled egg and chicken salad with sweet chilli sauce.

If you have a kettle ainsley harriot cous cous just needs water added.

pasta salad

fruit salad with greek yoghurt

turkey and cranberry sandwich

I make for lunches either:
* A sandwich made with 2 slices of nible bread, philadelphia extra light, cooked ham, tomatoes, lettuce and 1 slice of ww cheese (6pp) plus 300g cherry tomatoes and 1 medium apple, and a herbal tea

* Spicy quinoa with prawns and vegetables (my recipe) 5pp, 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, tea

* Baked frittata with ricotta cheese and courgettes or other veggies (2pp per slice), 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, 18g mixed nuts (3pp) tea (5pp total)

* Sainsbury's BGTY tuna and beans in olive oil dressing with 4 slices of ryvita crackerbread, 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, tea 4pp tot

* Weight Watchers lunch pot meatballs pasta 6pp (plus the usual 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, tea)

* 1/4 bag Tesco gnocchi with home made sauce (5pp) (plus the usual 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, tea)

* 50g normal or wholegrain pasta with home made sauce (6pp) (plus the usual 300g cherry tomatoes, 1 medium apple, tea)

Last edited:
I have to take breakfast and lunch on the road with me so I know how u feel!
I've been taking salads (with chicken or prawns) sandwiches/wraps/pittas, cup a soups in a flask. For tomm I've got a pitta with salad and chicken and a cup a soup.
Good luck!

We have a microwave at work so I bring the low fat avonmore soups - 2 pp for the WHOLE carton :)

And for breakfast I always have pots of microwave porridge with blueberries yum!!

StinkySocs said:
We have a microwave at work so I bring the low fat avonmore soups - 2 pp for the WHOLE carton :)

And for breakfast I always have pots of microwave porridge with blueberries yum!!

Those soups sound great, not heard of them. Are they chilled and what supermarket do you get them in please?

you can also try to have a traditional Italian rice salad. It's to be eaten cold so you can just fill up a lunchbox and have it on the go. I paste it the English recipe I have found that sounds the most similar to the one I know that my mum makes. It's from about.com:

about.com said:
Rice salad, or insalata di riso, is one of those classic Italian summer dishes that varies greatly from cook too cook. This recipe is especially rich to give an idea of what can go into it. Feel free to tone it down or substitute other things to your taste. To serve 4 you will need:
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups (300 g) parboiled rice (the grains should not stick)
Either: An 8-ounce (200 g) can tuna, drained and shredded, and four canned sardines, boned and shredded
Or: 1 hot dog, cooked and sliced, and a 1/4 pound (100 g) slab of ham, diced
1/4 pound (100 g) Fontina or Swiss cheese, diced
1/4 cup pitted, sliced black olives
1 pickled bell pepper, diced
2 ripe, peeled, seeded tomatoes, diced (optional)
1/4 cup mushrooms in oil, diced (optional)
1-2 tablespoons cooked peas (optional)
1/4 cup pickled button onions (optional)
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced or quartered (optional)
1 tablespoon rinsed salted or pickled capers (optional)
2 pickled artichoke hearts, sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1/4 cup olive oil or mayonnaise
A tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:

Cook the rice in abundant boiling, slightly salted water. Rinse it with cold water and let it drain. Meanwhile, assemble the remaining ingredients. Once the rice has cooled, combine everything in a bowl and chill the salad in the refrigerator.

Serves 4-6 (this could be a gross overestimate).

A quick note from John Whiting:
When I'm cooking rice for this sort of purpose, I often start it in olive oil for a few minutes as though I were making risotto, then add a slightly generous amount of boiling water and keep checking the rice until it's al dente, then drain. With the initial cooking in oil the grains never stick and the salad requires a bit less oil to make it taste as though it has quite enough.

feel free to tone it down to make it more WW friendly, but remember that the more you put into it the better the salad will be. xx

kagome75, would you mind passing on your quinoa recipe for me please?

I like simple things so you might not like it but this is it:

Ingredients:
1/4 onion
1 tbls oil (I use Carotino oil)
a pinch of salt
a dash of pepper
a bit of garlic
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
1 pack of Tesco's stir fry vegetables with beansprout (or any other type...)
5 tsps of vegetable gravy granules made into 200ml veg stock
1 pack of cooked and pealed prawns, 190g
100g quinoa

in a soup maker heat up 1 tbls oil, some finely cut quarter of an onion and a little bit of garlic, a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. When the garlic and onion have gone golden add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a few minutes. Blend finely and add 200ml vegetable stock. Blend again and add half a pack of Tesco's stir fry vegetables with beansrout (I know, I'm lazy...). Simmer for a few minutes and then blend, and simmer and blend until the vegetables will have become partially mashed. Add the chilli powder and blend again. Simmer for 20 minutes. In the meantime in a pan sprayed with fry light sauté the prawns until golden and then add the sauce to them.

In the meantime, boil some water and add the quinoa. Let it cook for 15/20 minutes then drain and add to the pan with the prawns and sauce. Mix well together and divide in 4/5 parts to use as lunch pots :)

To me, it comes out to be 4pp each for 5 portions and 5pp each for 4 portions. Can be frozen as well and you just need to microwave it on full power for 3 or 4 minutes to have a lovely and filling lunch! :)

Let me know if you try it, if you like it ;)

That sounds really good, I might have to give that a go over the weekend!! Thanks :)

Back