Part time job for 15 year old

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by traceya89, 17 November 2010 Social URL.

1. traceya89

traceya89 Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    My 15 year old daughter wants to get a part time job. I really dont want her to at the minute as I think she should concentrate on her studies. Does anyone know if there are any good companies that take on 15 year olds or do they have to be 16???

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. kirstabubble

kirstabubble Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st1lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5.5lb(9.44%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    I thought you had to be 16 to get a job? I got my first job when I was 16, after I had done my exams. I worked at Legoland and I had the best time!

xx

4. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

It'll be hard to find something for a 15 year old, it is normally 16 apart from the odd shop job or a paper round.
    I actually think teenagers should have part time jobs. They don't spend every minute studying and they need some down time and also need to learn time management and money management.

Where I live no shop would take anyone until 16 years old though.

5. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    i did some waitressing at 15, cash in hand type stuff..

work sucked!

6. Tinytootz

Tinytootz Mini crazy cat lady

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I got my first job when I was 15, but I was only a few weeks off being 16. It was in a local Italian restaurant, privately owned.

I would suggest she waits till she is 16, but perhaps worth approaching any small businesses to see if they have a place for her.

Working so young certainly helped build my confidence, I was a very shy kid :eek:

7. valerie11

valerie11 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.72%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i think u will find she needs to be 16 to do any job apart from newspaper round but i do think its great that she wants a job most kids want to sit on their backsides :D

jaylou likes this.
  8. Twizzle

Twizzle Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st9lb
    Current Weight:
    8st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(14.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    depends what she is prepared to do, I know jobs are much harder to come by now! but I was working from 12 3/4! I have done a paper round (couldn't get up in the winter!!!) kennel maid - did that for a couple of years, worked in a fish and chip shop (from age 16) did fruit picking in the summer after leaving college! but things have changed now and its not so easy!!!

9. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    As well as the age limit, some companies apply rules of their own. I remember when one of my relatives wanted a part-time job in Tesco they would not take her on until after she had taken her GCSEs. So it is a good idea to check with local shops/companies to see what rules they have - also to see if they have a waiting list she can join. Good part-time jobs are hard to find, and it is not too soon to start enquiring.

10. Minimunchkins

Minimunchkins Gold Member

Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I appreciate that things could have changed but when my daughter wanted a PT job at that age, Tesco was the only place that would consider 15yr olds. She was happy just to be a shelf stacker but before you knew it, she was on the tills. Now that was just over 10yrs ago so, as I said, things could have changed.

11. Addibelle

Addibelle A happy downward spiral

Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I worked in a local cafe when I was 13, then a shop at 14 and then moved to Currys when I was 16.
    Unfortunately I never got out of retail and am still there =/

12. emma-louise

emma-louise Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(19.2%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    my friend worked in a hairdressers when we were 14, sweeping up hair and making tea - she loved it x

13. traceya89

traceya89 Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    i thought it would be 16 for "proper" jobs! she is one of the youngist in her year now so wont be 16 until June.

14. alwyn

alwyn Silver Member

Start Weight:
    80.29kg
    Current Weight:
    80.29kg
    Goal Weight:
    60.33kg
    Lost(%):
    0kg(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It depends on your local by-laws. Each area has different laws on children working. When I was 14 I got my first weekend job working as a chambermaid in a local pub, I had to clean the rooms on a Saturday and Sunday morning between 9 and 12. I liked it because I still had the rest of the day free to do what I wanted, and my wages were the only money I had.

15. MichelinMummy

MichelinMummy Full Member

Some places may taker her as soon as she has received her NI card which if I recall correctly comes when you're about 15 and 3/4.

Other than that it would be just local shops for cash in hand type work.

16. Louise24

Louise24 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    I'm either really old or had mean parents?? I had my first job in a cafe at the age of 12 (only 14 years ago).. I worked 9 - 3 every Sunday and got £2 an hour, hehe, hardest job I have EVER done.

I'd say ask around tea shops / cafes etc

17. Shabba

Shabba Loves the Nom Nom!!!

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(11.84%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers PP
    If she wants to do it i would let her try. Finding a job at the moment is a tough job as it is! I had my forst job at 16 but had friends who worked from 15. They can pay what they like though so its not going to be much! I was on £3 an hour which was more than my friends LOL

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.