Snacks Passatta??

Ginge

Hi there im just getting back into slimming world after having my daughter and am trying to plan all my meals for the week and keep coming accross passatta what on earth is it? can you buy it in a jar its on the sweet and sour chicken recipe plus some others

thank you

Gem x

I have loads of passata. It's very healthy stuff.

It's just ripened tomatoes, sieved, but a great base for tomato sauces for pastas.

More healthy that fresh tomatoes too...especially if you add olive oil (syned no doubt :D) to release the lycopene antioxidents

Thanks i have a sieve somewhere :8855: do you just chop them up and squish them through the sieve :D

Gem

No, it's better to chew them then spit them through your teeth straight into a bowl before cooking. Mingled with saliva releases more of the goodies.

Check for any amalgam from loose teeth fillings as they can be a bit too crunchy and add nothing to the nutrient values.

Wasted calories ;)

Yes it is.
I get Asdas own cheapy one and its rather nice and cheap!!!
I generally use mine for syn free bolognase, curries, and warmed with garlic and herbs for a pizza topping!

You buy passata next to the tinned tomatoes. It comes in tetra-pak boxes and sometimes glass jars. I always keep some in. Great for making tomato sauces, especially when one tin of tomatoes isn't quite enough, but you don't want to add another one. I made a tomato/vegetable pasta sauce the other night. It had one tin of chopped tomatoes and about half a box of passata (plus all the vegetables and herbs, etc) and it was fab!

i use it all the time for a bolognaise sauce just add sum herbs and that.
dont ever buy the jars of cooking sauces mainly use passatta as a base and add to it

Last night after WI I came home starving to make a quick omelette to find my partner had eaten all but 1 egg... not happy!!!
Instead I cooked some pasta, and made a quick sauce using pasatta and it was lovely!
Onion and garlic cooked, add mushrooms, passatta, cook through, a few dried herbs, grilled bacon chopped up and thrown in with the pasta, and there was our dinner in about 12 minutes flat! (The time the pasta took!)
I always have passata for times like that, and for chilli, curry, bolognase etc.

Passatta is great - it's been a revelation to me, so much you can do with it. It's really helped me keep on track. Much better than the tomato sauces in jars....packed with sugar!

Back