Paul McKenna (If any one is interested)!

I'm re-educating my eating habits, so not saying no to the odd pudding at work but having a smaller portion and not every day, having smaller portions and taking time to eat, a whole hour over lunch rather than bringing food to my desk.

That is what part of McKenna is about, breaking old habbits and not denying yourself and thus preventing the cravings.

Zero, good luck with that, it sounds as though it will work for you.
I have done the same in the past... tried eating just one or two squares of chocolate, or one truffle from a box, or a small piece of cake. For me, it really DOESN'T work. I can only say it must be like giving a 'small' whisky to an alcoholic and expecting them not to want more... it's as if all logic is wiped clean with that first taste and old patterns of bingeing take over, and then when you 'come back' to yourself and realize what has happened (the whole bar of choc, or the whole box, whole cake, and more...) all you can feel is shame and disgust for failing yet again.
Some of us have programmed ourselves with very strong addictive responses. Getting over them is not as simple as having just one small portion, if it was, I guess there wouldn't be so many people overweight or with eating issues. I know that your approach is what I should aim for, a normal way of eating with no foods outlawed, but at the moment some foods are such a strong & overwhelming trigger I just cannot. Does that make any sense?
xxx

wow sounds good apart from the hypnosis thing, you dont need that and i dont believe it anyway.

I used to really like PmcK but i read an article and hes quite up his own behind

However, he is spot on with what he says, the differences between 'thin' and 'not thin' peoples habits are very true.

But can these habits be changed? I am not sure for me the hypnosis works. I have tried it with spiders and it didnt and his CD didnt work either.

but congrats on losing weight - he does have a great success rate - 70% or something.

McIvy

Your right Ivy I used to work with a woman who did one of his workshops once and he is very arrogant but he does have a point as you say.

I've got a friend who is from Slovakia but lived in America for a year and she is really stick thin. She came over for dinner last night and she took very little food on to her plate and even then she didn't eat most of it. I was watching her eat and it was so delicate and slow and it was clear that food to her is just fuel other than that she is not really interested in it especially - I would love to have that attitude towards food. I was quite naughty over the weekend and all my good intentions went out of the windon but when I look back at what I actually ate although it wasn't particularly healthy food, mainly down to TOTM I think I didn't really eat a lot (still to scared to get on the scales though). I'm not going to beat myself up over it though I'm just going to re-evaluate my food for the week and try harder. I'm starting Pilates this week so if anyone has done it before I would love to know more about it - I've signed up to do it while knowing nothing about it.

Katy, I totally agree with you! one biscuit turns into half or all of the pack and one square of choc ends up half the bar.

What I have been trying to do is cut it completely but if I really "want" a little bit I will make room for the calories around the rest of my food. I also ask myself do I really need this? Will it make me feel good tomorrow if I eat it today like doing exercise does? What could I do instead of eating this chocolate? And what I normally do is have a glass of water and jump into some exercise or a book or Minimins!! to try to distract myself from the desire.

It usually works but it doesn't always. What you have to tell yourself though, is that by having this food (even 1 binge) you won't gain 10lbs. It is a minor set back and all the other healthy stuff that you are eating/ doing more than counteracts it! Just pick yourself up and brush the guilt off and burn the calories by doing something active like going for a long walk or something!

Katy, you seem to have done so well already! You must be doing something right! :D

I think with regards to OA, if you are really struggling and wish to discuss something without the embaressment of a group situ then post on here whatever is bothering you or something you just wish to discuss. Everyone on here is really helpful and most people have been there or are in a similar position as yourself.

You have done so well and it is fantastic! Keep up the good work and take advantage of minimins as much as you need to :D

Good luck!

x

Thanks Chocolatecat, I can tell by your name that you know what I'm talking about! I think you are a little way ahead of me on this, but I plan to get there... moderation. What's that? Not sure, but I plan to find out!!!! I am using the forums as a way to discuss things, and so far the support and advice has been brilliant. Thanks Choc!
xx

Zero, good luck with that, it sounds as though it will work for you.
I have done the same in the past... tried eating just one or two squares of chocolate, or one truffle from a box, or a small piece of cake. For me, it really DOESN'T work. I can only say it must be like giving a 'small' whisky to an alcoholic and expecting them not to want more... it's as if all logic is wiped clean with that first taste and old patterns of bingeing take over, and then when you 'come back' to yourself and realize what has happened (the whole bar of choc, or the whole box, whole cake, and more...) all you can feel is shame and disgust for failing yet again.
Some of us have programmed ourselves with very strong addictive responses. Getting over them is not as simple as having just one small portion, if it was, I guess there wouldn't be so many people overweight or with eating issues. I know that your approach is what I should aim for, a normal way of eating with no foods outlawed, but at the moment some foods are such a strong & overwhelming trigger I just cannot. Does that make any sense?
xxx

Katy are you doing SS or a food plan and do you think taking some/all food out of the equation helps?

I class myself as an 'addictive personailty type' food, cigarettes, alcohol, scratch-cards have been some examples.:rolleyes:

I think it's why pmk did not work for me, I just couldn't control my impulses to pig-out on the bad stuff. I am still eating things I want abstinence from even though I am not over-eating as much as before with them but I still kinda feel like I'm 'cheating.' My sponsor says it's just for today we try to eat properly and OA is not a diet club but it's still difficult to shake off the diet mentality and the feeling bad when I fail.

Lyn, I'm doing SS so far & part of the reason was to take food right out of the picture. I went up to 810 over Xmas /New Year and coped fine for a week, then it fell apart the minute I got upset/emotional. Sigh! I see that as a good thing though as it showed me that I have to sort that compulsion before I can get any further along. But for me, SS is great, a security blanket almost. I feel like I am twisting the CD thing around to suit me, buying time if you like to work on my overeating issues. I have to switch back to 810 in 10 days as I will be working away quite a bit in Feb & it seems the most sensible option. But having food back in the picture will be scary.
I'd like to get to a place where food isn't scary, 'cos that can't be right! Also, we both need to stop seeing it as a success/failure thing. But it's so hard!!! I do like the idea of eating right 'just for today'... makes it seem more manageable somehow. I think what you are doing sounds great. Whatever approaches we take, there are no quick fixes... and even if you take food out of the frame, it has to go back in eventually!!!
Thanks for your post Lyn. Hugs,
xxxx

Thanks Katy.:) I haven't been very good about using the tools of the programme y'day and today. Main reason being I am busy with my new dog, getting him settled etc but I realise I need to put the prog above all else or if not I'll get out of the way of the daily suggestions.

Aw... what's he like, your new dog? A puppy or full-grown? What sort? Bet he is great for your exercise regime! I have two, one lurcher one greyhound, funny I have such willowy dogs when I am anything but willowy!!!!
Hope you are hanging on in there with the programme. Go, girl!
xxx

Hiya - had to repky as i heard about it two days ago and had th book delivered today and am on chapter 4 still and already what he is saying makes incredible good sense and at the time i was eating mini eggs - i put them down realising i was full!! very strange. But in a good sense.

Im going to put the cd on tomorrow and have a listen but im going to crack on with this tomorrow!

I must admit I've been listening to the CD again :eek: Helps me get off to sleep listening to his lovely voice, and yes, I think I am becoming more 'aware' of how I am eating...

Hello everyone i'm a new to this site today i was flicking through sky 2 night's ago and came across Paul Mc kenna i was very inpressed with it and started it today i love his method to stop yourself craving certain food's. Congrats on your weight loss i hope i do as well.

Ive been struggling a bit this week with my diet tbh. Had a few rows with o/h and although I knew I wasn't physically hungry I couldn't stop eating.

I think I need to have another listen to the CD and see if it helps me re-motivate.

I need to transfer it to my phone so I can have it by my bedside table instead of playing on the stereo in my room. And yes, hopefully it will help with the eating because of your OH :copon: - hope you feel better soon honey :hug99:

Thank you DQ don't know what's got into him at the moment but he is not being very nice at all:cry:

Never mind must go to my happy place lol
x

Hiya - im officially on the PM plan now and i admit sometimes i find it hard to tell whether im full as i can binge on loads of food before i have that really stuffed feeling. Today though was a bit better - wasnt hungry at all today until this afternoon so i had a steak and kidney pie with a tiny bit of mash and a cadburys creme egg (naughty) but i thoroughly enjoyed it instead of the mindless eating i am all too guilty of doing. Its going to be a long journey and I stil think this will be hard at times as i emotionally eat at times but i am quietly confident. Ive had no stress of diets the last few days and ive actually not been stressed as i normally am and feeling like a failure.
Wil call myself a fan if i lose weight by thursday.

Wil call myself a fan if i lose weight by thursday.

No, don't weigh!!!!! PM recommends avoiding the scales for a good while (if not forever) as your weight will fluctuate. Concentrate on feeling in control, mindful eating and let the scales go - i know it's hard, believe me I know, but it is SO worth it to not let the numbers rule you.

Back