PCOS and alopicia areata!

Princessclark

bandie wife
Hi all has anyone else experienced this? I've known for years I've suffered from PCOS and obviously excess hair is a common side effect of it but in June 2010 I found a golf ball size bald patch on the right of the crown of my head, my GP said it was most likely due to my having PCOS! Lol x
It has now pretty much regrown but has come back white but I now have a smaller one appeared at the back of my head but luckily it's right down low so it easily hidden x

I've not heard of this, thinning hair yes but mo reason for a patch. If it happens again ask to see a trichologist. Gps blame everything on pcos.

Omg its the same for me but my spots are really big to the piont i have had to wear a wig i also went to my gp who sebt me to the hospital wear i was given cream to use which just made my head sore an hairloss worse so they told me not to use it an the i would just have to let it run its course then the lady who made my wig told me to get a super strong multi vit an a good probiotic which i did an now most of the spot have new hair growin back hope this helps your the first person i have heard of with the same i as me ( was starting to think i was the only one)

Not had a full head of hair since 2003! I have PCOS and and underactive thyroid - both can cause hair loss. PCOS only tends to cause male pattern baldness type of hair loss (lack of the lady hormones and too much manly testosterone) so receding temples and crown and the underactive thyroid is more likely to cause an overall thinning of the hair. In my case I have neither of these but just plain old alopecia areata which appears in large patches at a time which is an auto-immune disorder which was probably responsible for attacking my thyroid gland as well as my hair folicles.

I've had as little as 10% of my hair left and resorted to wearing a bandana for a year (didn't like the wig idea personally, too scratchy on an almost bald head) and as good as 90% of it grown back. I'd say I'm at about 80% grown back at the moment so it's pretty good. All I'd say is it's a thing that comes and goes and patches appear and grow back randomly but stress doesn't help it get better. Easier said than done I know and I can't say I'm happy about having it but as with most incurable things you learn to cope somehow and get by as best you can. Please try not to get too worried about it as you have to lose a fair bit before others will notice (thankfully!).

Back