PCOS, Metformin and TTC.

Discussion in 'PCOS' started by starr89, 6 March 2011 Social URL.

1. starr89

starr89 Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hello all, im 22 and was diagnosed with pcos last week. I have a four year old son who was conceived really easily. Me and my partner were trying for 18 months for our second and i was getting irregular or non existant periods so was referred to fertility clinic who did some bloods and told me that i have pcos.
    I have been taking metformin for a week, and was wondering what it actually does? Will it help me to get pregnant?
    I look forward to any replies :)
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Katie86

Katie86 New Member

Hi, I am new to the forum but have been taking metformin for PCOS for 18months now. I was prescribed it as apparently when you have PCOS, you create excess sugars. The metformin is used to make your sugar levels more "normal" and is also prescribed for diabetics. I have found losing weight a lot easier and have lost 1 and a half stone in 6 weeks on SW. The metformin gives me more energy and seems to help. I am not sure in terms of fertility as I wasnt prescribed it for those reasons but hope this gives you some sort of insight. :)
  4. Lynn8124

Lynn8124 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Hi Starr. :wavey: I have been taking Met. for over six years to treat type 2 diabetes (Ive pcos but gp doesnt agree as my bloods are 'normal'). I notice when i come off the pill that metformin gives me a regular period every 31 days. I am not sure if it helps ovulation or not but I suppose getting weight off would help that side of things maybe. Im not ttc but would like to have a baby in the future.:)
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.