PEA and HAM soup EE help needed please x

I've got pea and ham on the go at the moment and especially bulked up with extra veg to make it more EE friendly!

I use:
one ham joint
pack dried peas
2 leeks
2 carrots
1 large onion
4 potatoes

Cook the ham joint by placing in pan and adding water to cover. Bring to boil and take any 'froth' off the top when it appears. Turn down to simmer and leave for about an hour.

At the same time as the meat is cooking put the pack of peas with some bicarb of soda in a large pan with plenty of water and room to swell. Bring to boil & simmer for about 20 mins. Remove from heat

Take cooked ham from pan and shred it removing any fat at the same time. Put the shredded meat back in the pan with the juices it was cooked in, chop all veg and add these & 2 veg stock cubes. Rinse the peas and add these to the ham & veg. Top up with boiling water if required - bring back to boil and then simmer for about another hour.

It's absolutely gorgeous and so filling you don't need anything else with it :) The downside is that my OH loves it so much I often go to the freezer for a portion for work and he's snaffled them himself!

Mmm - great soup recipes!

Not sure I agree with BritMum - the 1/3 superfree applies to the whole meal so a superfree fruit salad afterwards or superfree soup or salad as a starter definitely counts as being part of that meal.

My favourite soup is Red and Orange Soup.

Sauté finely chopped onion, carrot and celery until the onion and celery are translucent then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, plenty of pepper and a bit of salt and a tin of water, leave to simmer for 20 minutes or so. Then remove half and liquidise it for a slightly chunky soup (or all of it if you like it smooth or none of it if you like it really chunky) and return to the pan with a handful of mini soup pasta and another 1/2 tin of water. simmer for another 15 minutes until the pasta is soft and has absorbed some soupy goodness. Yum.

This freezes really well - I take it to work for lunch about twice a week in the winter - and can be bulked up with some chopped ham or grated parmesan/grana padano stirred through.

Back