Peppers -warning!

I recently made the beef goulash recipe from a recent SW magazine. One of the ingredients was a jar of flame-roasted peppers in vinegar "drained and chopped".

I followed these instructions, but found that the vinegar aroma from the peppers was very strong when the goulash was cooking. It was very tasty when it was cooked, but I could still smell and taste the vinegar.

So I would suggest that if you are using these peppers in a jar, that as well as draining them, you should rinse them carefully as well.

Other than that, I would highly recommend the recipe!

I completely agree Avisk. I made this when the mag came out and I was worried the whole thing would taste of vinegar! I didn't find that it did though but I would definitely use your tip and rinse them next time.

You could do but the flame roasted peppers taste very different, and, if you buy the jars from Aldi or Lidl, much cheaper than fresh ones too!

I was going to make the recipie soon so thanks for the tip!!! x x x:eat:

Glad to be of assistance!!!

Thanks for the tip about buying them from Aldi or Lidl - I will look next time I am in there.

Waitrose used to do frozen char-grilled peppers, but I looked today and there weren't any. But my Waitrose is rather small - I will have to look when I go to the really big one.

I did once, a long time ago, try a recipe where it told you to hold peppers on a fork over a gas flame and turn them round and round until they were blackened, then put them in a polythene bag until cool, then peel off the skins. I managed to burn myself quite badly, and never tried it again!!

Thank you so much for the info, very useful.

After seeing this post i rinsed the peppers before chucking them in the slow cooker and they were completly fine - gorgeous dish!

I did once, a long time ago, try a recipe where it told you to hold peppers on a fork over a gas flame and turn them round and round until they were blackened, then put them in a polythene bag until cool, then peel off the skins.

I flame-roast peppers (and aubergine) on the BBQ this way and dress them in olive oil (HE-B) and garlic. It's a Sicilian thnig my dad taught me. Very yummy indeed! I always have to make loads as people wolf it down!

That aside...thanks for the rinsing tip! :)

I did once, a long time ago, try a recipe where it told you to hold peppers on a fork over a gas flame and turn them round and round until they were blackened, then put them in a polythene bag until cool, then peel off the skins. I managed to burn myself quite badly, and never tried it again!!
If you cut peppers in half and lay them on foil on a hot grill pan skin side up. Let them get black, turn off the grill, very loosely wrap the foil around them creating an air pocket. leave until they have cooled and the skins will slide off easily No burnt fingers lol xxx

If you cut peppers in half and lay them on foil on a hot grill pan skin side up. Let them get black, turn off the grill, very loosely wrap the foil around them creating an air pocket. leave until they have cooled and the skins will slide off easily No burnt fingers lol xxx

That sounds a lot more sensible than the method I used!

Might give that a try. Thanks.

Thanks avisk, I've got that recipe on my list of things to cook during my time off work so I'm glad I just saw your snippet of advice!! Do not fear, the colander will be coming out!!X

Back