Personal one.... sterilisation....

jaylou

Gold Member
I'm contemplating it. :eek:

Have any of you ladies been sterilised? How was it? Were you poorly in any way afterwards? How long was the op? What about periods etc afterwards?

I know I can get all this info from my doc and off good old google, but there's nothing better than personal insight.

Thanks Ladies.

My sister had this done a few months ago and says its the best thing she ever did. Was out if hospital same day & back to normal within a week

had mine done 20 odd years ago, from what I remember I was out within 24 hours with no ill effects. Monthlies normal. Would recommend if you are absolutely sure that you do not want any more children.

Had mine 18 years ago, whilst having a cyst removed (asked if it could be done at the same time as in the right area). Best thing I ever had done, didn't want any more children after having 2 very sickly pregnancys and being hosptialised through 1.

Was in early morning and home the next due to drain for cyst. On mild pain killers for 3 days and that was it.

I then went on to have a full hysterectomy but that was due to on going problems.

If you are sure you do not want any more children I would go for it.

I thought about this a good few years ago, but my mum talked me out of it, saying I was too young (27).

Anyway, 18 years later, I'm still with OH & still don't want anymore kiddies. At the time I decided to have implanon, it's brill, lasts for 3 years, I've no periods & I'll still go through the change. The only reason I've not been sterised is what would the benefit be to me now? Not having periods is enough for me to keep on having the implanon replaced.;)

I thought about this a good few years ago, but my mum talked me out of it, saying I was too young (27).

Anyway, 18 years later, I'm still with OH & still don't want anymore kiddies. At the time I decided to have implanon, it's brill, lasts for 3 years, I've no periods & I'll still go through the change. The only reason I've not been sterised is what would the benefit be to me now? Not having periods is enough for me to keep on having the implanon replaced.;)

ooh whats that one, i have the mirena and i find it okay. dont want anymore children but i am afraid to be sterilised as it would take my choice away from me, even though i dont want anymore.

I asked my doctor but he won't do it as I haven't got any children. Thing is I know I don't want any I love kids and everything, and my nephew is spoiled rotten off me, but that's what I like spoil them rotten then send them back home lol.
I have a hard enough time finding babysitters for the cats when I want to go anywhere & I love the freedom I have.

ooh whats that one, i have the mirena and i find it okay. dont want anymore children but i am afraid to be sterilised as it would take my choice away from me, even though i dont want anymore.

It's a small 'bar' inserted into your upper arm & remains there for 3 years. It's perfect no worrying or periods. My daughter had it inserted when she was 16 (had long term bf) which was relief when a few of her friends were having babies.:eek:

I have the mirena but I don't like the moods and spots it gives me!!
I don't want any more children but I am so afraid of the general anaesthetic :-(
I think I need to go and talk over my (limited) options with my GP I guess.

Thanks all for you replies, very much appreciated. xx

they offered me one when i was having my third c section but i said no as they hadnt prepared me for this question at all during my pregnancy even though they knew i was having a section.

I have the mirena but I don't like the moods and spots it gives me!!
I don't want any more children but I am so afraid of the general anaesthetic :-(
I think I need to go and talk over my (limited) options with my GP I guess.

Thanks all for you replies, very much appreciated. xx

Aww, I know that feeling, I had never had one up until my third child was born and because I hadnt experienced it, I was terrified of them for years! They ended up knocking me out because they couldnt find a space for the epidural, I was in tears, so scared, but it ended up just being like having a bit of a nice sleep.

Gutted that I missed the birth, but it couldnt be avoided and was an excellent way to get over a phobia quick smart! I had to have another one to remove a breast abscess that developed after bf-ing her, and that was super easy and stress free by comparison! I was up and about an hour afterwards, a bit wibbly, admittedly, but it really wasnt the HUGE deal I had it as in my head.

((hugs))

Something to consider though (as I have also considered this) is that you will most likely still keep all the hormonal parts with a sterilisation, so may be no better off than with the Mirena spot and moodwise. Mirena does at least give me minimal bleeds.

Something to consider though (as I have also considered this) is that you will most likely still keep all the hormonal parts with a sterilisation, so may be no better off than with the Mirena spot and moodwise. Mirena does at least give me minimal bleeds.

Thanks Minxie. I didn't think of this.....

I don't have periods on the mirena. Maybe it's worth suffering it until menopause, although that's probably a way off yet!
Bugger being too "old" to go on the pill. So not fair. Stamps feet and goes off.......

I havent really had any either up until lately, as it comes to the end of its shelf life - plus I am not obese any more and that always seems to "improve" my levels of hormones :( Keep putting off going to get it changed but I really should. Yes, the moods and the spots are a pain but the rest is a breeze, if I can keep this till menopause then I will be happy enough.

Just out of interest would they do it on a NHS at 27? I have been asking for ages, am now 32, and they keep saying no as I haven't had any children. It doesn't matter how many times I explain I don't want them, they seem to think they know better than me :rolleyes:

kingleds said:
Just out of interest would they do it on a NHS at 27? I have been asking for ages, am now 32, and they keep saying no as I haven't had any children. It doesn't matter how many times I explain I don't want them, they seem to think they know better than me :rolleyes:

That's the same for me first asked in my early 20's 36 now and still haven't changed my mind but just keep being told no cos I don't have any kids!

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

leighxx said:
That's the same for me first asked in my early 20's 36 now and still haven't changed my mind but just keep being told no cos I don't have any kids!

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

At least its not just me! Very frustrating though - they do seem to think that all women eventually want kids and that the ones who say they don't either have something wrong in their heads or 'will change their mind at some point'
If they could give me a medical reason why i wouldn't be bothered!

To kingleds and leighxx, it is protocol not to perform strilisiation on the NHS if you don't have children. I do appreciate that some ladies, like yourselves are certain that you do not want children but I used to work in an infertility clinic and the amount of people returning for reversal of strerilisation was phenomenal!

That's why they will always offer LARC (Long Active Reversible Contraception) such as the mirena or implanon instead.

Not to mention the risk of general anasthetic and surgery in itself as well as increased rick of ectopic pregnancy associated with a sterilisation.

I know it's a pain but there are reasons behind this, not just the doctors thinking they know better.

Clareel said:
To kingleds and leighxx, it is protocol not to perform strilisiation on the NHS if you don't have children. I do appreciate that some ladies, like yourselves are certain that you do not want children but I used to work in an infertility clinic and the amount of people returning for reversal of strerilisation was phenomenal!

That's why they will always offer LARC (Long Active Reversible Contraception) such as the mirena or implanon instead.

Not to mention the risk of general anasthetic and surgery in itself as well as increased rick of ectopic pregnancy associated with a sterilisation.

I know it's a pain but there are reasons behind this, not just the doctors thinking they know better.

Thanks Clareel - thats the first time anyone has given an actual medical reason. Difficult to think they aren't just acting like they know better than you when their only reason is that you will change your mind later on :)

Thanks Clareel - thats the first time anyone has given an actual medical reason. Difficult to think they aren't just acting like they know better than you when their only reason is that you will change your mind later on :)

No problem, I know exactly what you mean though some doctors I work with are fantastic and explain everything properly but others are like 'No, you might change your mind. Bye!'
Mirena is a really good option though, some research has actually found it to be more effective than sterilisation at preventing pregnancy.

Clareel said:
No problem, I know exactly what you mean though some doctors I work with are fantastic and explain everything properly but others are like 'No, you might change your mind. Bye!'
Mirena is a really good option though, some research has actually found it to be more effective than sterilisation at preventing pregnancy.

Am going on it next month - had to wait for GP's to get trained up on it so Depo till then as Implamon stopped working for me!

Back