Phoenyx shifts 20lbs in 10 weeks! (Positive thinking!)

Today was ok. Hungry (probably more noticeable because I wasn't so busy, it being sat). But I still waited 16 hours until 1pm. I was also trying to eat cleaner today and almost succeeded! No exercise though. And I could have fitted it in - I just didn't plan well enough.

9am black coffee & water
1pm brown rice, veggies and a chicken leg
4pm soya latte and 70g almonds
7.30pm brown rice, veggies and a chicken leg, topped with a little Parmesan & chilli
followed by 0% fat Greek yoghurt & honey, and worst of all, 2 brunch bars!!!

I would have dived off the wagon at that point, but fortunately it was the end of my eating window, yay! So kitchen closed, no more food :)

Am thinking of lowering my carb intake, so am pasting some food ideas I stole from the Atkins forum (thanks guys!) so I know where to find them if needed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- pork loin steaks, cooked in the oven for 30 mins, with a squirt of mayo on them and some sauteed cabbage with bacon
- chicken pieces cooked/fried, then toss in a little oil, add some curry powder and hey presto - quick curry - serve with a small cup of cauli mash (cut the cauli up, zap for 8 minutes, blend to a good mash consistency with some butter and/or oil)
- chicken breast wrapped in bacon and cheese, served on a bed of wilted spinach
- chicken breast rubbed in Ras El Hanout (moroccan rub, delish!) with baked goat's cheese and wilted spinach - to die for
- for breakfast I make bacon and egg muffins and have three cold at work -

- 3 rashers of bacon, cooked or microwaved and chopped into bits
- beat three eggs with about 100ml water, add herbs
- spray/oil/grease a 6 space muffin tray
- put some bacon in, then pour egg over it - don't fill to the top, it will rise a little
- sprinkle a few bits of grated cheese
- cook for about 20 mins on 200.

I usually have three as one serving, for 1g carbs. They also freeze nicely, so you can make batches ahead.

I'm also a fan of my own modest creation to eat more broccoli - don't know why it's suddenly bolded it!

Cheesy broccoli bake

Ingredients -

- 250g broccoli
- 150g (handful) spinach
- 2 bacon rashers
- 1 tub cream cheese - plain or garlic/herb
- 100g grated cheddar/mozzarella
- olive oil

Spray or drizzle the oil round a casserole dish (I use a square lasagna dish)
Steam the broccoli, chop into smaller pieces and layer up in the baking dish
Spread the raw spinach on top
Cook the rashers (I just steam in the m'wave), chop into bits and sprinkle over veg
Soften the cream cheese in the microwave and dollop over the mixture, then stir in (reduce your washing up lol)
Sprinkle cheese on top
Bake at 200 for about 20-25 mins, until cheese is browning

That makes four servings and MFP says it's 5g carbs a serving.

Hope this helps!

Scurrying off to look for the Hanson method . I am thinking of going back to Jeff Galloway run walking just because of the injuries . Went for a walk today and ended up having to ice my hammy . Think it is off to the doctors this week. I normally go straight to private sports massage / physio but as I am soon to be out of work I can't justify the cost

More low carb inspiration

cheese and asparagus omelette.

chicken stuffed with mozzarella, wrapped in air dried ham and lettuce and cucumber ooh, with the most delicious avocado from Aldi. They're the best I've ever had.

tuna mayo salad

Snack - cucumber and chorizo sausage

yum! Cream cheese with pesto

As for breakfast, check out her bacon n egg muffins recipe, lovely on their own but I added 100g grated courgette and only used 30ml water, turned out lovely!

Scurrying off to look for the Hanson method . I am thinking of going back to Jeff Galloway run walking just because of the injuries . Went for a walk today and ended up having to ice my hammy . Think it is off to the doctors this week. I normally go straight to private sports massage / physio but as I am soon to be out of work I can't justify the cost

I had a friend who suffered with knee injuries, but switched to the Hanson method and has just run the first marathon in which she had no injury issues - she switched to the Hanson method for the training (it was her third marathon) and swears by it. I was doubtful as the longest run is sixteen miles but she says she actually found the last few miles easier. I guess, if you think about it, ultra marathon runners rarely run anywhere near race distance before a race. My last marathon training was fairly crap, but my first I followed Hal Higdons beginner plan. Galloway looks good too but I'm nervous of run walk - think I won't get going again! Good luck x

Oh pooey. Had a massive binge yesterday. Not sure why. Few things spring to mind, the primary one was that I was hungry, and refused to let myself eat (too early, wanted to extend the fast, clocks had changed etc.) so I talked myself into it - I'll do low carb instead etc etc. totm arrived yesterday as well.

anyway, I'm sticking to this plan because I love it and it allows me to exercise as much and as intensely as I want which is always a problem on low carb. I'm not weighing in until tomorrow to give myself a chance to shed some water and glycogen retained from binge. I did still weigh this morning and I was up 3lbs, so still overall down this week. The fasting clearly works, I just have to ditch the binge.

So plan for today: fast until lunchtime, drink lots of water and eat healthily to undo damage.
exercise: run on treadmill, 30 day shred level 1

So I didn't manage to exercise today (apart from walking and cleaning) but I stuck to pretty much everything else:

12.45 soya latte

1.45 1 bowl of home made minestrone soup (no pasta)

4pm apple and some sliced chorizo

6.30pm king prawns and a heap of stir fried veg, 0% Greek yoghurt! honey and walnuts

9pm 3 rice cakes & hummus (a little later than planned but hey-ho)

Last edited:
Okay, not sure why I've agreed to this, but my friend is starting dukan today and has persuaded me to join her for a week. It's a result of me saying all diets work (at the right time and for the right person, but she seemed to miss that bit), and that I was lowering my carb intake. I was thinking Atkins / paleo (embrace the yummy fat!), but she really wanted to try dukan, so I have agreed, bytes with the proviso that it's for a week only, then I get to escape to a healthier way.

so after visiting the sit with her, it appears she has 5 days in attack (the harshest phase) and I have 3. - serves her right! I'm away for the weekend though so may slip into a more relaxed version of low carb (but don't tell her!)

anyway, the attack phase is weird and evil - no veg!!!!

heres my plan for today:

b - 2 boiled eggs, 0% Greek yog
s - no idea!
l - no idea

oh dear, better go and check the dukan boards for inspiration....

I generally do well on low carb if I'm not running much, which I'm not at the mo. I'll have to reconsider early in Dec as marathon training will start at some point...

day 1 on Dukan went better than I expected. I'll be keeping a Dukan diary this week, which can be found here: http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diaries/330151-phoenyx-does-dukan.html

1Hi there :) I really like the Intermittent Fasting ethos
0=.@O(
|a
3+-

.........haha sorry I spilt tea on my keyboard and didn't realise this had posted :D:D while wiping the tea off I managed to turn the screen upside down too

Last edited:
Hi there you're doing great! I love the IF thinking, I did a stint ages ago of not eating after midday and that was pretty good although as usual I was probably trying to be too harsh on myself and it backfired :D

I loved it too, but I think it's better practised with a low carb diet and not quite so rigidly. I will come back to it, but I'm having a play at the mo...

Well, I gave it a go, but I'm sort of sad, but sort of happy to say I'm off Dukan.

Dukan is a diet that clearly works for many people, and I'll be sticking to some of the principle - definitely low carb and upping my protein is the way forward - but I'm looking for a longer term low carb solution and this isn't it for me. If I don't succeed on my new journey I'll definitely give it another go. I lost 3lbs in 2 days (and I cheated yesterday!) which is not to be sniffed at.

I couldn't get my head round the bizarre rules - how can I be allowed as much skimmed milk as I want (which is high in carbs) and no green veg (at least in attack)? Where does the galette fit in (it was the only thing I really enjoyed but that was because it was carbs steeped in artificial sweetener)? I know artificial sweetener is bad for health, but I found I'd tripled my quantity just to survive this diet. and let's face it, what fun is meat without the fat? I had bacon this morning and ate the fat, scrummy yummy!

that said, it clearly worked, and I don't like Atkins way of adding fat to everything. My bacon had plenty of fat, I didnt need to cut it off, but nor did I need to add butter or anything else.

I reckon I'm going to try a halfway house between dukan and Atkins - where I'm not adding fat to literally everything, but enjoying what's there and I'll have the lower carb veg. Which is sort of like dukan cruise but without the galette!

I'll miss the people on the dukan boards as I head over to Atkins, they were very welcoming, but I know the atkinsy peeps are too.

I read an an excellent book this morning, found it on Abel James' podcast

FITNESS CONFIDENTIAL eBook: Vinnie Tortorich, Dean Lorey: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

His thing is nothing new, but his basic message is simple - cut sugar and grains. I guess it's heading towards primal, but I need simple at the moment so it rang a chord with me.

I still want a reasonable amount of weight loss so I'm going to try and stick to the following as well:
- drink lots of water
- exercise 6 days a week
- cut the trigger foods for the moment (I'm thinking nuts, cheese etc)
- don't overdo the fat - some is nice, lots will be stored.

fingers crossed that I can maintain the dukan loss and get rid of the remaining 11lbs to meet my Christmas challenge :)

Back