Extra Easy Picnic ideas needed!

ruthiebusybee

Hi All

Since F-I-L died just less than 5 weeks ago, B-I-L has been running riot over my M-I-L and seems to be making her life generally very miserable :mad:. Anyway, without going into too much more detail on that, I decided to take her out for the whole day on Saturday :D.

I have a place in mind, which will be lovely and quiet and has amazing scenery too, so we can do a bit of walking, bit of looking, lots of relaxing and am thinking we can take a picnic and just watch the clouds go by generally.

I would like to take a picnic that will feel like I'm really spoiling her but without me falling off the SW tracks. I thought this would be easy with EE, and I am sure it will be but my mind has gone completely blank! :confused:

So far I have;
- potato salad
- tuna pasta salad (but think I might leave this one out)
- traditional salad
- boiled eggs
- homecooked ham (coke recipe - amazing!)
- mini quiches - using HEA of cheese

And there my mind has run blank.

Any suggestions along with syn values would be very gratefully received!

Just another thought... As a dessert that feels much naughtier than it is, what about taking some mini meringues (about 2-2.5 syns) and strawberry ff yoghurt!!

I'd do a search for picnic foods, there has been lots of threads about this, especially this time of year.

We are going to Symphony at the Tower in 2 weeks & I'll be here looking for food ideas:D

Thanks everyone - I did a forum search on Slimming World for "Picnic" and that thread wasn't anywhere near the top! Doh!

Thanks again all - much appreciated!

x

Tuna Quiche (FREE)

I medium onion
3 rashers LEAN bacon
4 eggs
7oz can tuna in brine
1 sliced tomato
2 large mushrooms, sliced

Pre-heat oven to 190/375/Gas 5.
Dry fry the onion with the bacon till soft then place in flan dish. Drain and flake the tuna and add to the bacon & onion. Beat the eggs and pour over the mixture. Arrange the tomato and mushroom slices around the top. Bake for around 30 mins or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.

Scotch Eggs
Serves 4, Ready in about 45mins plus 6-8hrs chilling time.
Original on Red/EE if using breadcrumbs as hex if not add 6 syns.

4 eggs
A small handfull each of fresh parsley and chives (can use dried)
1lb 6oz/624g lean minced chicken (can use pork or turkey too)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp mild curry powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8oz/227g wholemeal bread made into breadcrumbs
Fry Light

1. Place 3 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 7-8mins. Meanwhile, finely chop the fresh herbs. Drain the eggs, cool in cold water, shell then chop.

2. Place the fresh herbs, mince, dried herbs and curry powder in a bowl and season. Use your hands to mix together.

3. Divide the mixture into 16 balls and flatten each one. Place 1/2 tsp of the egg mix into the centre of each portion, form into a ball and press to seal. Place on a tray, cover and chill for 6-8 hours.

4. Preheat the oven to 190c/375f/Gas5. Beat the last egg and brush each ball with it. Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs and place on a non-stick baking tray lined with baking parchment. Spray the balls with Fry Light and bake for 15-20mins or until cooked through.

Mini Quiche

Serves 6, Free on Original and Extra Easy, 3 syns each on Green.
Prep time 15mins, cooking time 30 mins

Fry light
6 round slices of ham (for the cases)
1 leek, finely chopped
4 rashers of lean bacon, all fat removed and chopped
Green and red peppers, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 slice of ham, chopped
Half a tub of quark skimmed milk soft cheese
3 Eggs
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 or 4 cherry tomatoes sliced

1. Spray a six-hole deep-fill muffin tin with Fry Light and line each with a slice of ham, folding in the edges to lie against side of tin.
2. In a pan sprayed with Fry Light, saute the leek, bacon and peppers until soft. Season with black pepper. Add the chopped ham and divide the filling mixture between the six ham cases and add some chopped chives.
3. Beath the quark, eggs and mustard together with a little black pepper, then carefully pour equal amounts into each ham case, and decorate the tips with the sliced cherry tomatoes.
4. Stand the muffin tin in a baking tray half full of hot water and place in the oven at 160c/Gas 3 for around 30mins, or until set.
5. Take the muffin tin out of the hot water and leave for 10-15mins to cool before removing the quiches.
Tip- you can vary fillings and swap the ham and bacon for quorn style ham slices for veg option.

I do:

Homemade syn-free spicy hummus - with carrot sticks, baby sweetcorn, snap peas, tomatoes... Also sweetfire beetroot (3 syns a pack)

Homemade lentil salad with red onion, garlic, mustard and basil

Homemade bulgur wheat salad with tomato, basil, garlic and spices

Quorn sausages chopped up and mixed with Cajun spices. You could do the same with chicken or whatever if your on Red/EE.

Quorn slices (especially the peppered beef, om nommmm)

Boiled eggs

Mixed berries

Mini cheese individual portions as part of HEX

Lots of fruit

Pickles eg gherkins, onion, cabbage, beetroot

Homemade coleslaw/potato salad

I did a brilliant SW picnic for our trip to Royal Ascot on Saturday.

*Wholemeal rolls from the pick'n'mix roll bit of Morrison's with mini cheese portions (HEXA & HEXB)
*Potato salad with spring onions and bacon (FREE, but I like it with a couple of tbsp synned mayo and a dollop of synned English mustard as well as quark and fromage frais)
*Couscous with cucumber, lemon zest, tomatoes, oregano and capers (FREE)
*Thinly sliced homecooked ham with gherkins, beetroot and pickled onions (FREE)
*Eton mess - sweetened fromage frais, crushed meringue nests (synned) and a huge tupperware of mixed berries.

Was all delicious and made me feel a lot less guilty about the vast quantities of white wine spritzers!

Back