Planning for Christmas

losingit

Silver Member
What is everyone doing with their diet over Christmas / New Year? I find Christmas really hard no matter what diet i'm on, every year i have always really REALLY messed up and ended up gaining 1 stone or more in a few weeks! In an effort to control this i'm trying to create a plan in advance, i don't want to sabotage myself.

Anyway, Christmas day i'm going to eat whatever i wanna eat, even if that means stuffing my face with chocolates and roast potatoes all day. It's the only day of the year i'll allow myself to do this. Christmas eve, and boxing day, i plan to increase my carb allowance from 20g to 40g so i can have a bit more variety in what i eat and enjoy myself whilst still sticking (mostly) to plan, i'd like to cook some sweet things using sweetner or maybe treat myself to an Atkins bar or two (which i LOVE but refuse to buy normally).

For New Years, i'm not really fussed, but am planning to cook up some nice Atkins friendly snacks for myself to celebrate - i'd probably be happy with a bag of pork scratching to be honest :).

I'm not expecting to lose any weight in December. I have events planned with friends over the first two weekends which involve non low carb eating - but I'll stay on my usual plan otherwise and hope to negate that damage by Xmas.

Xmas I'm taking 2 weeks totally off plan for. I've done it before over my birthday and the jubilee and know that I'm capable of getting back on plan after my allotted time. I know I'll gain anything from 7lbs upward and it will take 1-2 weeks strictly on plan to shift that afterwards. So hopefully mid January I'll be back to early december's weight.

I do it this way - with 1-2 week planned breaks about 3 or 4 times a year - because it keeps me from cheating at any other time. I've never 'cheated' or slipped a single day when I've been on plan, so my breaks give me a chance to relax and I can tell myself 'when I'm on my next break I'll eat *insert craving name here*. I prefer that to slipping every now and then and losing a few days or a weeks loss without a plan - it would probably amount to the same thing, but I'd have to feel guilty if I cheated. This way I can just relax.

Definitely does not work for everyone though, some people do best when they're totally rigid.

ahh, i'm very anti-social and don't have any events to go to before Christmas day itself (which is spent with family eating everything in sight), so that's something good i suppose.

Trying to stay 100% between now and 24th December, i'd love to be able to lose 7lbs by then which i think is do-able. Can then put that 7lbs back on for Christmas lol.

I was thinkin about this today, I was going to stay on Induction till Christmas then hav a mini break then jump back on but wondering now rather to slowly introduce carbs before Christmas so it's not too much of a change hmmmm decisions!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I will be taking a planned time off over Christmas. Probably 8 days from Christmas Eve and back on induction 1 January OR 24, 25 and 26 off back on and then 31st off. That would be the best option I think. Like others have said, I know it will keep me focused before Christmas and I will relax and enjoy the festivities and then will be strict again afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm going hardcore lol, and staying strictly lo-carb throughout.

Iv decided that this is my lifestyle now and no matter what gets in the way, including Xmas, iv just got to adapt

It's probably going to be real hard, but I'm determined ;)

Ooh good for you orchid, you're a tough cookie. You can definitely make yourself some great and legal treats though - obviously eat loads of low carb turkey! And you can have celeriac in place of roast potato and cauliflower mash or home made cauliflower cheese. You could make yourself a low carb trifle for dessert with a layer of almond cake, sugar free jelly and cream, or a chocolate mousse, or mint chocolate cocoa bark. I'm sure you'll find great ways to enjoy it.

This is an amazing tasting cake: Healthy Chocolate Cake with a Secret « Healthy Indulgences i make it with pinto beans cos i couldn't find black beans though, tastes better than 'normal' cake! Gotta be careful with portion sizes though, the one i made had a total carb count of around 50g carb for the entire cake (about 6 portions probably at least) - but if you are like me, it's hard to stick to one portion, lol.

I did lipotrim a few years back over Christmas on just 3 shakes a day it was sooo hard! But u can do it if ur mind set on it so good luck hun xxx

As I am so totally new to this I plan to stay on induction until Christmas Day, then I intend to have Christmas lunch without a worry, and the rest of the time stay on induction. I would stay on for Christmas lunch, but I am working Christmas Eve nights, and can't see mum willing to make Atkins friendly!!!

Im abit the same I've done it 2 weeks now do staying on it till Xmas so that will be 6 weeks, havin a break Christmas day, cutting carbs back then having new yrs eve off then straight back to it. God I hope I manage a stone before Christmas I would be so chuffed x

I will only have been back on it 15 days before Christmas but I plan to have Christmas dinner off and then stick to induction the rest of the time. I shall 'fast' until Christmas dinner or have an Atkins shake as they are something like 150 calories.

We need approx 100g glucose a day for the brain and nervous system. On low carb we obviously get this from protein but i'm wondering if we increased carbs to 100g we would use that up as it's consumed and easily slip back into ketosis afterwards...Based on what i've read from Lyle McDonald (although I am in no way quoting him on this) I believe we could. That might be an option for some people? Things like Green and Blacks 15g minis are under 8g carbs, Bournville Highlights hot chocolate 4.2g etc. Just enough carbs to make it a bit nicer. I'm choosing to take the hit and use my entire carb allowance on Christmas dinner (it will probably be less than 100g if i'm careful and avoid dessert which I won't want anyway) .

The rest of the time it will be induction all the way.

Im planning to be partially gooooooood ;0) I don't eat veg so will be having a tonne of turkey and pigs in blankets, a couple of roasties and I'm sorry but I've waited all year for xmas pud and brandy sauce - I know I stick to low carb as a lifestyle (dont like the 'D' word) but OMG no xmas pud on one day of the year - no way!!!! Id rather give up the Thorntons for the pud - its my fav bit of xmas.

Anyway - we can all have a group hug afterwards and start a fresh - a whole 52 weeks of LC lifestyle- yeeeay!!!

Back