plum swings! a diary

All the best in your interview Plum!

Morning Plum, how did it go?

Morning Plum, how did it go?

Ah you're sweet to ask. :) After a two and a half hour-long interview (!) they're offering me the job (yay, it's a promotion for me and would be a really nice group of people to work with) but it would mean increasing my working days and I need to figure out if I can cope with that health-wise.

Ah you're sweet to ask. :) After a two and a half hour-long interview (!) they're offering me the job (yay, it's a promotion for me and would be a really nice group of people to work with) but it would mean increasing my working days and I need to figure out if I can cope with that health-wise.

Fantastic Plum congratulations. How much is the increase? It's tough isn't it juggling the dreaded ME x

Fantastic Plum congratulations. How much is the increase? It's tough isn't it juggling the dreaded ME x

Thank you. :) it's increasing from 3 days a week to 4, so percentage wise quite a lot. Normally I try to stay upbeat (as much as you can!) about M.E. but have to admit I'm feeling a bit resentful of it right now. :(

Resistance week 1 completed today, I did Core twice last week to build up to starting another round. I used my 5kg and 5lb bells (lighter one for the flies and punches). We're going away in late Feb so I'll hopefully get in 5 weeks before we travel. I've also been doing more stretching, trying yogalates with resistance bands and getting back to my 3000 steps/day target. I want to be feeling strong when we leave as am really nervous about the amount of travel involved. I might even take the resistance bands in my suitcase as the trip is 3 weeks long, we'll see.

Where are you traveling to? At least the resistance bands are light :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

In Feb the weather will (should!) be great! I'm from nz originally :) your have a great time - loads of adventure tourism to be had :)

In Feb the weather will (should!) be great! I'm from nz originally :) your have a great time - loads of adventure tourism to be had :)

Oh I didn't know that, you learn something new every day! :) :) Thank you, I am mostly looking forward to getting to spend time with family/the new little lad but if I'm feeling ok we will try to get to 90 mile beach and also maybe (tacky tourist I know, lol!) try to get to the Hobbiton filming place. I really would like to go to South Island and see the scenery (and penguins) but we don't have enough time or funds to do everything this trip! With a rest break each way we will only be there for a little over two weeks.

Where are you from? We'll be based in Cambridge as that's where mr plum's brother (edit: !!) and his NZ wife (and new nephew plum) live. :)

Last edited:
I'm originally from Taupo - but spent time in the Hawkes Bay (Napier and Hastings) and recently lived west of Auckland - moved back here about 4 years ago. My mums English - loads English relatives and OH has so much family here we decided to move back because of being closer to family.

Cambridge is a really pretty town and close to Taupo, and Hamilton and not far from Auckland and tip top of nz ;). (Tip top ice cream is great)

I'm originally from Taupo - but spent time in the Hawkes Bay (Napier and Hastings) and recently lived west of Auckland - moved back here about 4 years ago. My mums English - loads English relatives and OH has so much family here we decided to move back because of being closer to family.

Cambridge is a really pretty town and close to Taupo, and Hamilton and not far from Auckland and tip top of nz ;). (Tip top ice cream is great)

Oh I will look out for the tip top ice cream :D - always nice to be an ice cream tourist! When I visit my parents in Cyprus there is a special ice cream that I always have to eat there also, lol. :)

Later I will pick your brains about whether the NZ culture embraces health foods (ie at the grocery store) or whether you have to look out special health food shops for things. :) I am not yet sure how being a primal/gluten-free houseguest for a couple of weeks is going to go, haha. :D

No issues with fresh grass feed beef :) And loads lamb but am sure it's still pricy! We used to go 1/4 in buying a beef cow once killed and delivered to the butcher, butcher packs and chops it up - same for lambs etc

Your have to check the local health food shops where mr plum lives :)

Of course tip top ice cream is not primal lol but very yummy

LMAO I just looked back and saw that I said mr plum and his NZ wife live in Cambridge - I am modern, fairly liberal and believe in live and let live, but not quite to that extent where my own personal relationships are concerned!

What I MEANT to say is that mr plum's BROTHER and his NZ wife live in Cambridge. Mr plum lives here with me. LOL!!!! Teach me to pay more attention. :D

Sounds like there will be lots of options for nice meat which is good. :) I think if you're going to go for a non-primal dessert, ice cream is one of the best things you can go for really. :D That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D :D

Lol I figured you either meant your brother - or your OHs brother due to the nephew ref :)

I agree with the ice cream thought too :). Couldn't do summer with out.

Sounds like a good time ahead in NZ Plum. Enjoy!

Thank you. :) it's increasing from 3 days a week to 4, so percentage wise quite a lot. Normally I try to stay upbeat (as much as you can!) about M.E. but have to admit I'm feeling a bit resentful of it right now. :(

Yeah I completely get that, how are you with 3 days? Do you think 4 is at all feasible? It really does restrict your life and your choices but I also think it makes you appreciate things more x

I've been lurking for a while and decided to come out of hiding. Have been doing kettlebells 3 times a week since before Christmas with a 7.5kg bell, with 30 day shred sessions in between. I tell you this as I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it is for you to persevere when you suffer from ME.

It is great that your abilities have been recognised at work, in spite of the restrictions this illness places on you. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity. Is there any possibility you could increase your hours on a trial basis to make sure it's achievable, assuming they are aware of your health situation? It's in their interests as well as yours to make this work.

A holiday to look forward sounds just the right thing for you at the moment. A positive frame of mind is far less stressful!

I am sure that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing. Good luck.

Back