plum swings! a diary

Sounds like a good time ahead in NZ Plum. Enjoy!

Thank you! :)

Yeah I completely get that, how are you with 3 days? Do you think 4 is at all feasible? It really does restrict your life and your choices but I also think it makes you appreciate things more x

I now have a good routine with 3 days, which is what I am nervous about jeopardising. I no longer have to spend all evenings and weekend days in bed (I'm upgraded to the sofa! LOL), and I can usually manage an outing on 1-2 Sundays a month or so, which compared to my previous quality of life is amazing. I think 4 days is feasible but at the expense of being able to do anything else. :-/

I've been lurking for a while and decided to come out of hiding. Have been doing kettlebells 3 times a week since before Christmas with a 7.5kg bell, with 30 day shred sessions in between. I tell you this as I cannot even begin to imagine how hard it is for you to persevere when you suffer from ME.

It is great that your abilities have been recognised at work, in spite of the restrictions this illness places on you. It would be a shame to miss the opportunity. Is there any possibility you could increase your hours on a trial basis to make sure it's achievable, assuming they are aware of your health situation? It's in their interests as well as yours to make this work.

A holiday to look forward sounds just the right thing for you at the moment. A positive frame of mind is far less stressful!

I am sure that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing. Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated! :) It is really nice that they have recognised me, it's nice validation. They have offered me a trial of increasing my hours, but in my current job. Which on the one hand is very nice of them but on the other hand wouldn't be representative (the jobs and environments are quite different) - and I worry that if I don't then move on to the new job that there could be other repercussions. .

If I don't decide to accept this job I at least know that I can successfully interview at that level and it does not rule out me applying for future jobs which may be able to be done in three days a week. :)

Last edited:
Week 1 core done (again, lol) with 5kg bell today, and a 10 minute pilates stretch dvd done afterwards with a resistance band. Which wasn't as good as the normal stretching I do after kettleworx actually! So I will probably go back to my usual and just save the pilates one for days I do pilates. :)

Did some Pilates with stretchy resistance band yesterday. I never worry about losing control of my kettlebell but I do fear smacking myself in the face with the band! :D

Did some Pilates with stretchy resistance band yesterday. I never worry about losing control of my kettlebell but I do fear smacking myself in the face with the band! :D

Oooooo ouch! That'd hurt :S

Fortunately it's less stretchy than a rubber band so not as much snap in it... But the few times it's pinged off my foot or whatever it's made me jump out of my skin!

Lol I bet :) Ahhhh see I was imagining a huge elastic band pinging at you :S

No kettlebells for me today, fighting a cold - I hope! - and very tired after all the new job stress (I did accept it, I'm going to have to plan out a new type of routine to keep within my energy budget as best I can without losing what fitness I've managed to gain). But I did do some pilates this evening to test out my new Wahoo heartrate monitor and iPhone key - finally I can record exercise without having to tie a watch to my waistband drawstring! Amazing! This was a present from mr plum to congratulate me for getting the new job. :)

Thanks! Enjoying playing with my new HRM and iPhone dongle, having a new gadget seems to make it go faster LOL!

I have a Fitbit which I love but it only records steps and flights of stairs so kettlebells hardly registers! At least I know how hard I've worked.
Week 6 cardio for me today after a swim with the GD & GS. Will probably walk there too so that's extra steps. I aim for 10,000 a day which is harder than it sounds.
Have either of you done a couch to 5k? If so which app did you use?

C25k app is what some others I know used .,

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have a Fitbit which I love but it only records steps and flights of stairs so kettlebells hardly registers! At least I know how hard I've worked.
Week 6 cardio for me today after a swim with the GD & GS. Will probably walk there too so that's extra steps. I aim for 10,000 a day which is harder than it sounds.
Have either of you done a couch to 5k? If so which app did you use?

Sounds like you've an active day planned! I have a fitbit too and I record my kettlebell sessions as an activity (in MFP which I connected to my fitbit account) as otherwise as you say it doesn't register much! 10k per day is well impressive! On a rare really walky day I might hit near 7k but only once 10k and I was absolutely shattered!

Afraid I can't help with the C25K as my running days are behind me, lol, but am sure I have seen threads about apps in the main exercise section. :)

Week 2 resistance done with the 5kg and 7.5lb (for presses). I always struggle with this routine as it is very leg heavy but today didn't find it as bad as I usually do! Was lacking energy by the end as my food routine got messed up today so I was pleased to make it through the whole thing!

Well done :)

I didn't go class today due to family being sick.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the family illness, hope you'll be able to make it to a class soon. How often do they run?

I go Monday morn and thurs evening

But class is also on Tues evening and sat morning .,

Back