plum swings! a diary

Well done, Plum. Definately some progress there with the planks. :)

My secret "happy place" weapon? Mr Sue is a sign-maker and he's made me a giant pic of David Beckham wearing just his pants, all his tattoos out and everything (I love tattoos). So think of me next time you go to your happy place. My eyes are level with Mr Beckham's crotch! :D Happy Place, oh yes indeedy!

LMAO this had me cracking right up - I love it! Happy Sue and nice Mr Sue for making the sign. :D (I do like tattoos although mr plum doesn't have any - and I'm too much of a wimp!!) I can just about guarantee you that this is what is going to pop into my head next time the plank comes along! :D :D

Now the big question is... do you exercise in your sitting room and, if so, do you leave the sign out all the time? It would certainly be a conversation piece. :D :D

Oh, I forgot to mention before! I can just about spell Kettleworx with my feet now! I used to just wave them about vaguely. Still can't do the windshield wipers thing though unless I move the bell to the opposite side to counterbalance - I just roll over like a woodlouse otherwise! :eek:

(and thank you Sue for the nice words - it's nice to see some tangible indicators of progress!)

Just to confirm the lovely David resides in our spare bedroom just in front of the yoga mat! Mr brother in law came up the other week to stay as he was working in the area. I did have to explain why he was there! :)

You're doing great with the KW. And having these little progress measurements along with the way are great.

Thanks Sue. :)

I don't know why, but I felt like doing some arm-type exercises this evening. (lunacy brought on by the longer spring evenings, perhaps) So have just done two sets consisting of 10 each:

- shoulder presses
- lawnmowers
- two-handed rows
- one-handed rows
- gunslingers
- kettlebell punches
- tricep extension
- kettlebell hold (count of 20)

So I can look forward to the normal post-core pain as well as noodle t-rex arms tomorrow. Oh goodie. ;)

Well done on your impromtue workout! Loving the Beckham cut out, tee hee!

is it bad I always skip the spelling kettleworks, I hate it and having usually done that pump and press one I've had enough!

is it bad I always skip the spelling kettleworks, I hate it and having usually done that pump and press one I've had enough!

I usually just put my feet up and wave them about vaguely until I'm too tired to do it anymore actually! I can't do the pump and crunch properly either, though, my lower abs are something I really need to work on!

My week at work turned absolutely awful really quickly. :( I didn't do my kettleworx routine on Thursday as I was knackered and miserable. Ditto Friday, which I spent recovering from the evilness of the week.

This morning I was still feeling quite dragged out but mr plum encouraged me and so we tackled week 1 resistance (I was definitely too tired for weeks 2 or 3 and, although I haven't seen week 4, I suspect it might have finished me off) together. I was quite excited to be able to use my 7.5 lb bell for the first set, it's the first time I've used it. I also managed the plank in set 1 up on my toes for the whole time, somehow. :D I did modify a few exercises because I was very winded despite breaks and pauses and sips of water. I stepped back down to the 5 lb bell for set 2, and didn't do the one-arm swing section in that set - I did the pass-around-your-waist exercise instead. Mr plum thinks I'm weird, because I love doing kettlebell punches. I may or may not also make superhero 'kapow!' type noises while doing them. Hmm...

I'm glad I did it now, still feel a bit knackered but less mopey anyway. :) In addition to my nice non-scale victories with the plank and 7.5lb bell, I also lost 1.6 lb this week and can feel stronger muscles around the sides of my stomach and back as well as in my arms and legs. I still get back stiffness if I sit too long in one position, but am having much less lower back pain when standing or walking around. :)

Well done for sticking with it, Plum! And do whatever stupid noises or facial expressions etc you want. Anything that gets you through! :) xxx

Thank you Sue! And I quite agree with you actually. It's not like I'm taking it as far as wearing a cape after all! :D

Week 2 core done! I really like this one actually (madness I know). I used my 7.5 lb bell all the way through for the first time and didn't have to pause once. I did have to modify some though, keep my feet on the floor for the rows, and most of the planks on my knees. But I still feel pretty good about it!

Well done Plum - I cant take my feet off the floor for the rows either well for 2 secs maybe ha ha!

Tracey I think my lower abs are abysmal - I really need to get them stronger. I also get some lower back pain when doing it though and figure if it's good enough for the sensible blonde lady on KW to do with her heels on the floor it's good enough for me. ;)

Tracey I think my lower abs are abysmal - I really need to get them stronger. I also get some lower back pain when doing it though and figure if it's good enough for the sensible blonde lady on KW to do with her heels on the floor it's good enough for me. ;)

My sentiments exactly Plum ;)

Quick tip for you guys. I was hopeless at getting my feet off the floor at first. Try lifting your feet off the floor and crossing them over just at the ankles. It keeps you a bit more stable whilst you are "rowing" and helped me massively in keeping my feet up for most of it. Once you get used to this you will be able to manage without and have your legs up off the floor like Ryan. :)

Ooh good tip Sue, thank you! :) Almost makes me want to have another go now (seriously!), but.... maybe not. :D But I will certainly try that next time! Does that help with the pressure on the lower back as well? As that's what usually gets me when I try it. :(

Cat Lover Sue said:
Quick tip for you guys. I was hopeless at getting my feet off the floor at first. Try lifting your feet off the floor and crossing them over just at the ankles. It keeps you a bit more stable whilst you are "rowing" and helped me massively in keeping my feet up for most of it. Once you get used to this you will be able to manage without and have your legs up off the floor like Ryan. :)

Ooh, I'll have to try that top tip next time Sue- sounds like a really good way to get through them!! :)

xx

It just makes you that bit more stable. Well it did me, anyway. And my core was made of jelly when I first started out! :) Its worth a try. x

Such a hectic week again this week, and I had to switch my day off work from Thursday to Friday. I had been hoping to get through week 2 resistance yesterday and then swing just a little bit tomorrow (maybe the non-frenetic parts of week 2 cardio) to be on schedule for core on Monday, but now I will just have to do resistance today and then leave it until core on Monday. :( Now all I need to do is get off my bum and do it! :D I haven't had quite as much energy the last 2 weeks while doing south beach diet phase 1, but am re-introducing low GI starchy carbs (I've been having plenty of non-starchy veg and beans/lentils though) and fruits starting tomorrow so hopefully will pick up a bit again!

Phew. Week 2 Resistance completed with my 7.5 lb bell for the first time. :D

Can't do the one leg bend forward and tap things (hurts my back) so I do waist twists and side bends instead. I had no enthusiasm at all for the two-handed swings in set 2 so passed the bell around my waist instead, and I didn't do the squat bit of the squat and press in either set (legs/bum already knackered by then!). Plus I did knee planks today, but with my toes on the floor, which seems to be halfway between knees and toes in difficulty.

(oh, and I smacked myself on the kneecap doing figure 8s - so glad my bell is tiny - ow!)

Looking forward to Core on Monday, will have another crack at week 3 maybe. Maybe!

Back