plum swings! a diary

Yowza. Week 2 resistance really kicked my butt (literally) again! Glad it's core today as everything else is still stiff and sore!

Week 3 core done, with my 7.5 lb bell. I actually enjoy the core workouts at the moment and have done the last 2 without needing to pause - miracle! I couldn't finish all the seated figure 8s (my legs protested mightily, they're still stiff from Saturday) and may have missed out a few hip-pump-and-crunch-es also... Managed the first plank and 3/4 of the second one on my toes though!

Still finding it so difficult to remember to actively keep my belly button pulled in during the exercises, usually the first few of set 1 are ok but after that it all goes out the window!

I think if I can do resistance on Thursday then this Saturday I'll try one of the free weights workouts from New Rules of Lifting for Women and maybe the kettleworx fast abs workout 1, depending on how I feel.

Go Plum get you :) I'm just off to follow you on Wk 3 Core and I know I won't be able to do the figure 8's with my legs off the floor but going to try your version i.e. cross legs see how i go!

Eek Trash hope its not too late! That was Sue's suggestion for the seated row. Think may cause difficulties with fig 8s! I just put the bell down and kept my legs going when it got too much - also used hands to steady myself at that point! Hope you got on ok!

Eek Trash hope its not too late! That was Sue's suggestion for the seated row. Think may cause difficulties with fig 8s! I just put the bell down and kept my legs going when it got too much - also used hands to steady myself at that point! Hope you got on ok!

Ha ha it would of been impossible with legs crossed lol I realised my confusion as soon as i got to them :D and yes i done what you did put the bell down and kept the legs going after a while ......boy their hard I do wonder if there will soon come a day when we/I can complete them fully :confused:

They are very hard but then I didn't used to be able to do the hip pump and crunch either and now I can (although struggle on the third set). So I think there is hopefully some hope for me yet. Hopefully! :D

Oof. I did the first set of week 3 resistance and just collapsed in a blobby heap. My muscles got all burny and crampy. Think it was a mix of not pausing (had just got in from rushing around town and just sort of carried on), 7.5 lb bell (too heavy for me for resistance yet) and feeling a bit run down today. Depending on how I feel on Saturday I might try to do a bit more (sensibly) then!

Good on you! :) I'm not doing much tonight as my shoulder feels like someone punched me really hard, or I ran into a brick wall..

Aw thanks hon! It was a bit of a struggle last week tbh, I think the two weeks of phase 1 of south beach got to me a little bit. Probably would have been fine for daily activities but long term I think I need the good carbs to keep my muscles fuelled and energy levels up!

Sounds like you were right to take it easy!

Today should have been a kettleworx core day but I was feeling a bit glum about having failed so miserably at resistance last week, so I tackled it again today (week 3 again with my 7.5 lb bell). I'll do core on Thursday.

Managed to get all the way through today but had to pause and let my heart rate come down after every single segment which was a bit soul destroying as it took just over an hour by the time I was finished. My heart rate monitor has 3 zones and I have learned that I need to make sure I'm in the middle zone before starting the next segment or I will melt down before being able to finish.

Week 3 resistance is soooo leg/bum intensive, it knackers me right out. The only things I didn't do today were the running around the bell, I do waist twists instead. Think I'll be having trouble tomorrow with the usual things like sitting down onto the loo, lol. :eek:

(edit: mr plum is doing it now and I'm having flashbacks of the evilness. for some reason the side leg lifts absolutely kill my right leg/bum but not so much my left! I have to do the left leg lifts first because otherwise my right leg is too tired to actually stand on for them!)

Last edited:
I was sooo sore Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I've weighed in and had a gain but the fancy scales assure me it is muscle. Which could follow, I guess.

Looking forward to trying week 4 core later! (crazy plum!)

Never did do core on Thursday, I've just done fast fat burn #1 so I can start the new week on Monday with core. Only 10 mins plus a bit for warm up/cooldown but it kicked my butt. A hugely soggy heap now!

Edit: now that I can breathe and think, sort of... a whole minute of skiier squats, Ryan? Really? REALLY?!

Last edited:
Those 10 minute sessions are real killers. I had a week ages ago when I thought it would be a good idea to do a Fast Fat session followed straight away with a Fast Abs. Did it for a week. Never did it again!

Blimey Sue I couldn't do them for a week let alone both together! I thought I'd be less sore today (as only 10 minutes) but no!

Ha Ha. Yes it was one of my not-so-bright ideas! I thought it would be good as a break between rounds. How wrong can you be! Mind you over last Christmas when I thought I would have a wee break I carried on but did a 10 minute session instead of a normal 20 minute one. I felt at least I was doing something in between grazing on Match Makers etc.

Went for a long (for me) walk today. What does this have to do with swinging, you ask? Well, since coming down with ME I've suffered with lower back pain that is worse when walking or standing still, due to weak back and core muscles, and for about 5 years I couldn't manage any strengthening exercises.

I still can't stand still without pain, but today my back only started aching after 45 minutes of walking. I'm 100% certain that this is due to Ryan and improved core strength/stability! Hurray! :D

That's great news, Plum. I'm sure it will be helping you. x

:) Sue. To be honest I didn't even think of it until it started aching and then I was amazed it had lasted so long! All hail Ryan, the swinger of the bells! :D

Back