plum swings! a diary

Feeling dead pleased and mighty today, I did most of set 2 of week 4 core and all of set 3 with my 10 lb bell!!! It's the first time I've used it (and in fact my husband was using it when we started, he tends to have a skinny runner's build ;) although is now up to a higher weight). In fact I think I could have just about managed all 3 sets with it - I forgot to pick it up for the first 2 exercises of set 2, and then swapped down to the 7.5 lb for the half getups as wasn't sure how that would feel.

I liked week 4 core - I like the core workouts in general especially as I don't get so puffed that I have to keep pausing - but oh my goodness, those side butt elevators! Annoyingly I didn't find them so hard from a muscle point of view but more with the technique! I had to do them with the bell on the floor to steady myself, and I didn't really feel a lot in any of my muscles. It was more awkward than anything - I felt a bit like a flaily beached whale (my reflection in the TV cabinet glass would tend to back this assessment up). Hopefully with a bit of practice I'll be able to do them properly with the bell on my hip and then discover which muscles it's going to kill!

I also tried the core rowers with my heels propped on the mantlepiece (err, the bit on the ground in front of the fire, whatever that's called, not the bit above it........ :eek: ) as I can't hold them all the way up myself without back pain. This seemed ok for my back and I felt the muscles more in my lower abs as well as all the other muscles that get worked by them. So I think I'll care on doing that and hopefully work up to my back being strong enough that I can lift them properly off the floor. :)

:stickdance:

Last edited:
Well done! I like core work outs too :) we did a min of half get ups on each side in class - sure i will feel it tomorrow!

If I can get the TV think I might have a go at WK2 cardio or resistance after kids in bed, maybe OH might join in as he's moaning about his lack of muscles in his chest, legs and tummy - he has loads muscles in his arms due to lifting granite and marble at his job

I'm thinking about it.. I used to do Zumba Monday evening, but the class only burnt 200 kcals in 60 mins so I felt was waste of £5 And I can burn 200 cals in 20 doing kettleworx :)

Well done Plum. Isn't it fab when you see progress, especially as sometimes you don't even realise you're doing it, like the walking without the back aching. I did laugh at the mantlepiece and it conjured up a lovely image!

I've just finished Core Week 4 a few minutes ago. This is one of my faves of the whole programme. Did it all with my 10kg so very pleased with myself. I couldn't do the side butt elevators at all when I first started as I found I was using my arm and shoulder to push me up which was hurting and I was tending to twist round. I could do them this morning without the bell - and my core was much more engaged and holding me in place. Didn't hurt my shoulders at all. I wasn't using the bell as I really want to get the form on these and I think I'm finally getting there. :)

That's great progress with the side butt elevators Sue! I agree it's great when you can actually see tangible proof that you are getting fitter. :) Next time I will really focus on my core and try to keep it stable as I'm sure that will help with the flailing.

Week 4 resistance today as well as a surprise 2.9lb loss on the scales this morning! I enjoyed (?) it - it was nice to have some variety with the new moves. :) I found the disco side bends really awkward though and had to drop down to my 5 lb bell as my upper hand was wavering around all over the place and sometimes collapsing. I'm not sure I was doing them entirely right but I'll try again next time they come along. :) I saw some progress in that I could complete all of the squat-and-upright-rows and one-handed swings (although I do have to pause before switching hands). And the half-get-ups are now going really well which is a great change from when I couldn't really do them and kept tweaking my shoulders.

I was also surprised because I didn't feel like I had worked that hard (I was puffed but my muscles didn't seem too tired) but burned more calories than usual according to my HRM! I also suspect I'll be surprised tomorrow when those muscles that don't feel like they worked too hard start shouting at me. :D

I think I could have done some of the exercises with the 10 lb bell, but because it was my first time doing week 4 resistance I wanted to stick with the 7.5 lb.

And now, I feel really guilty but I'm going to have a little whinge about Ryan. Of course I love him to bits but I wish that when he introduces a new move that requires you to move your feet a certain way to avoid wrenching your knees for example, he would SHOW THE FEET in the video right away (or even just the whole body) and explain important form tips. I did work it out very quickly after the first attempt at the (err, football catcher twist things) and then when they showed the feet I was already doing the right thing. But someone could wrench themselves quite badly I think!

I'm off to Cyprus on Sunday to visit my mom and stepdad for a week; I will have to refrain from exercise on Saturday as the trip really knackers me out. I've decided to take the week off from kettlebells - I could take my 5 lb and a DVD with me, but not sure that I'd use them. On top of the travelling both ways I find the hotter weather leaves me feeling a bit drained! I'll keep to sensible-ish food though (really easy in Cyprus, loads of nice grilled meats and yummy veggies etc).

Last edited:
Hi Plum - I've just done Wk4 Resistance too. Don't worry you will get lots of practice on the disco side bends as they crop up in pretty much every session from now until the end.

Well done on feeling you can move up the weights. Its a good felling! :)

Have a fab break, and have a proper chillout. You've earned it. :) xx

Sue, just curious, how 'advanced' are the advanced DVDs? (I think you said you have done these?) I am wondering if they are much more difficult or just 'different'?

Sue, just curious, how 'advanced' are the advanced DVDs? (I think you said you have done these?) I am wondering if they are much more difficult or just 'different'?

Hiya Plum - I wouldn't say they are much more difficult, but the pace is upped on them, particularly weeks 4-6. The format is the same but there are many different moves alongside some of the old favourites. Some of the moves you are used to are made harder by doing them slightly differently. They are great DVDs but I did miss some of the moves on the standard DVDs so plan to do the standard and then the advanced, standard and then the advanced etc, so I do them all over 12 weeks.

Hope this helps. :)

Back from my trip - was hoping to get back to the bells right away but have been poorly so haven't really caught up with anything yet. :( Hoping to feel ok on Saturday to do at least a little bit, as I've sorely missed it!

Goodness. I managed week 4 core today but certainly could feel that I had had a two week break. When I got back from my trip to visit parents my ME had a little tantrum and I also hurt my back on the flight over when a very very rude and angry man shoved me down the aisle because I did not get out of his way fast enough (although he didn't actually tell me I was in his way - he was behind me - or of course I would have moved). I hope he relaxed on his holiday because he obviously needed to. :( :(

Anyway I managed to do a short Kinect workout on Saturday so tackled kettleworx again today, hurray. :D Quite pleased that I managed to do the whole thing through with no breaks with the 10 lb bell - although I was very wibbly by the end and could not have contemplated a set 4 if it had existed! And in fact I cheated in set 3 and did front planks instead of the side plank lifts. I saw online that you can do a modified side plank with your legs bent behind you (so kind of on your knees) so I will try this next time as I still struggle with these regardless of whether I'm using the bell. Sounds crazy even to me but I'm looking forward to feeling tomorrow that I worked my muscles!

It's so warm today! I'm a ball of sweat after kettleworx. Did week 4 resistance today with my 10 lb bell, apart from the disco side bends (5lb bell, my arm gets tired and wobbly up there) and I did waist twists and horse stance side bends during the one-armed swing sections. Pretty pleased though as I only had to pause once during the routine instead of after every one or two exercises, and it's the first one I've done (almost) all with the 10 lb bell. :)

Had a massive massive portion of spag bol last night, wonder if that helped fuel me!

Was feeling wound up by the week and wanted to do a little something today (but not too much), so did week 4 cardio in the most half-@rsed way possible. I skipped or substituted the bits I didn't feel like doing and used a mix of weights.

Can I just say, two lots of kettlebell holds in each set? Brutal. The eyeroll by Andy the Buff when Ryan says 'go to a happy place'? Priceless!

Core week 5 today! I know I say this almost every week, but I do like the core workouts. Largely because I can get through them in one go without having to pause!

Notable new move today was the 'rainbow' swing thing. Rainbows, rainbows, indeed, Ryan, what could be nicer! I find myself wondering if there's a Unicorn Lollop lurking about in one of the cardio routines somewhere. :D :eek:

I found it difficult having the seated figure 8 and core rowers both in this routine; my arms and legs are quite stiff today (courtesy of my friend's 2 1/2 year old who thinks auntie plum is the best climbing frame EVER, heh) and actually found my legs were giving out before my core!

I tried the disco side bends (aka windmills) with the bell held in my bottom hand instead of the top and found that a lot more comfortable.

I know it's taken me longer than most to get here due to doing each week more than once and having a break for my holiday, but I can't believe that I'm almost to week 6 now. If I think about it I'm amazed that I've been able to go from having not done any exercise for 5 years or so due to health reasons to getting through a whole core routine without pausing with a 10 lb bell! I have actual visible muscles in my arms and legs, my waist has slimmed, the double chins are receding even if they haven't admitted total defeat yet, and my lower back pain is mostly a thing of the past. I still have to be careful of my ME but my day to day energy levels and mood are better. And all this from only doing core and resistance each week (apart from two Saturday flukes when I did something extra). I don't know if I would have been able to stick with it if not for Ryan and his chirpy motivational style, so for me kettleworx has really been exactly what I needed. :)

Ryan would proper :heartpump: you after reading your post! Rainbows - ah rainbows - nothing quite like feeling that burn in your arms, is there! Next round, have a go at the disco side bends with a bell in each hand. I go for the lighter on top and the heavier on the bottom. Seems to pull you over more and you can't have feel it in your side. Very effective.

So pleased you are happy with your progress. I think KW is a god-send and I like Ryan's cheesy style. I don't want to be barked at doing exercises (its bad enough I'm having to do them in the first place). I even reserve a special place in my heart for Kimberley. I love to hate her - but would miss her if she wasn't there looking all smug and leathery! :D

Hehe Sue I know what you mean! And thanks for the tips on the disco side bends, I tried it out today and it seemed to help. :)

Phew! Week 5 resistance kicked my butt today! I used my 5kg bell for the first time which is only about a pound heavier than my 10lb but boy could I feel the difference!

Back