plum swings! a diary

Dunno if week 6 resistance is just really tough or if I was just tired, but yeesh! The only thing that got me through was the thought of using my calories burned for some popcorn later! :eek:

Not much to say about this routine, other than that several of my non-favourite exercises crept in! (the front bend things, one armed swings, backwards pass under lunges...) And how much did the around the waist passes make my arms burn!

It's always the easiest ones that hurt the most - skier squats, KB hold, rainbows etc! At least you don't have to focus as much on form for these so you can just focus on making it through to the end! :)

Second stab at week 6 core done! Was feeling really blah and had to motivate myself a bit to do it! In the end it was a combo of knowing that tomorrow I'll be too tired, and somehow fitting into a (large) pair of size 14 cropped workout leggings. They're snug enough that I wouldn't wear them in a gym but comfy enough at home!

Well done! Good on you for motivating yourself!

An abortive attempt at week 6 resistance today. I was feeling pretty knackered and had already modified a few exercises when it transpired that my heart-rate monitor had paused itself quite some time ago. I admit to getting a little huffy at this point and giving up! Seems PMT has arrived slightly early this month.

Now not sure about trying the advanced DVDs next or whether I should just go back to week 1 'normal' as maybe advanced will be too hard for me if I can't even finish week 6. I'll see how I feel. I think I'll try to do one of the targetted workouts on Saturday if I feel up to it, as they look to have less cardio (like the arms & shoulders or butt & hips routine).

Plumfoodie said:
Second stab at week 6 core done! Was feeling really blah and had to motivate myself a bit to do it! In the end it was a combo of knowing that tomorrow I'll be too tired, and somehow fitting into a (large) pair of size 14 cropped workout leggings. They're snug enough that I wouldn't wear them in a gym but comfy enough at home!

It sure is working -that's motivation for you! Well done, keep going Plum :)

OK, I don't feel so bad about flaking out on my workout earlier. My glands are now really swollen and a friend has just told me that 75% of my team at work are off with a seriously evil flu. Maybe I'm not just a cranky wimp today. ;)

I did! But was feeling a bit twitchy today so decided to do the kettleworx arms & shoulders workout. How hard could it be?

Edit: (now that my arms are less wobbly)

Some really tough sequences in this one. Many gunslingers and punches (both of which I like in moderation, but ouch), some trainer-challenge single arm holds, and a few bits I modified. I didn't do the squat part of the squat-press, and instead of single armed swings I did standing ab twists and horse stance side bends.

Since I didn't do much cardio I got through it without pausing, but my arms were screaming by the end. But in a good way. Obviously. I only used my 7.5lb bell, but for some could've done with the 5lb for my left arm (hopefully this will even up one day) and could probably have managed things like the halos and slam dunks with the 5kg. Because of my dodgy joints I can't do floor pushups without special handle grips, so I usually do mantle piece pushups instead.

I hadn't realised before that these standalone sessions are full length, ie 25 minutes including the warmup and cooldown. They could be a nice Saturday option for me. :)

Last edited:
Dear Ryan Shanahan,

I apologise for thinking your Arms & Shoulders DVD would be an easy option. You've set me straight on that count.

Wearily yours,

plum

I've had a look at the level 2 kettleworx core week 1 routine... and I'm a bit frightened of the strange mermaid tail side crunch things! :eek:

So I'm going to aim to do another round of 'normal' kettleworx, but quicker this time so I finish in time for a muscle repair/rest week at the August bank holiday which will nicely coincide with a visit from my MIL (for which I will need a rest!).

Kettleworx 'fast abs' workout 1 today, as I'm still feeling under the weather. It was my last chance to workout until next week, though, so I wanted to do a little something! I think it's the first time I tried one of these; I watched them all on fast forward first so I could choose one. I avoided workout 2 today because there are 2 sets (not in the mood to go through the same pain twice) and workout 3 because of all the turkish half get-ups (arms are still hella sore from Arms & Shoulders routine on Saturday).

This routine was 'fast' but it was not 'easy'! All the friendly exercises I know and love from core suddenly take on a much more sinister glare when done for a whole minute. Seated figure 8s were the only ones I really disliked though (I still have to put my foot on the floor after passing the bell under while I do the other leg), and I was proud of myself for doing the whole minute of front plank hold on my toes instead of my knees, apart from the last few seconds. Even the side butt elevators were ok, although I wasn't sad when they were finished.

:character00116:

Next kettleworx session will be next Thursday - I'm off to London this weekend for a very geeky pursuit (London Film & Comic Con) so will be resting up before/after in order to keep my M.E. from having a temper tantrum and landing me in bed. I will still try to stretch daily, though, it's amazing what a difference that is making. Even the kettleworx DOMS seem to go away a little bit quicker. :)

Lovely, detailed description there Plum! I chuckled at the thought of 'friendly' core exercises taking on a 'sinister' tone!!

You're doing a great job; well done :)

Hi Plum - just caught up with your sessions. I still haven't done any of the standalone type sessions, i.e. Arms & Shoulders, and think I will keep them in the shrink-wrap for the time being! :D

Don't be put off by the mermaid tail one - its not too bad and you do end up having a laugh as you flail about. If you think that one's weird wait for the Lambada Ab Twist in about week 3. I think he was stoned when he thought of that one! Even better he refers to the professionals he is doing it with and one of them is Jamal which nearly had me wet my knickers!

All good fun in the land of Ryan! x

Hi Plum - just caught up with your sessions. I still haven't done any of the standalone type sessions, i.e. Arms & Shoulders, and think I will keep them in the shrink-wrap for the time being! :D

Don't be put off by the mermaid tail one - its not too bad and you do end up having a laugh as you flail about. If you think that one's weird wait for the Lambada Ab Twist in about week 3. I think he was stoned when he thought of that one! Even better he refers to the professionals he is doing it with and one of them is Jamal which nearly had me wet my knickers!

All good fun in the land of Ryan! x

Funnily enough I quite enjoyed Arms & Shoulders in a 'I feel like this should make me really buff - RAAAWR' kind of a way. There was just pain. Much pain. :)

Am wildly intrigued about the lambada ab twist, LOL!

I did not get back to anything on Thursday as hoped for, my trip to London really wiped me out and I'm also currently at war with a new, improved germ from work. I really needed to rest or risk pushing myself over the edge to the bad place. I'm hoping to maybe do a short routine tomorrow and then start with week 1 core on Monday. Fingers crossed anyway!

Fighting a germ still, but decided to tackle week 1 core today in the hopes that it would make me feel better (get the circulation going etc etc) instead of worse.

For reasons known only to an obscure and apparently clueless part of my brain, I decided, despite a two week break and feeling poorly, to try using my 6kg bell (previously I've only been using the 5kg).

I don't know if it was the germs, or the break, or the bigger bell, but week 1 core seemed a lot harder than I remembered from the first time! And two lots of horse stance side bends per set, what's that about, eh, Ryan?! Still, I got through it without pausing. The half get ups were hella difficult with the heavier bell and holding the bell off the ground for the spelling kettleworx part, yeouch! Hip pump and crunches nearly killed me, although for a change it was the crunch part that did me in. And I managed the entire first plank on my toes but for the second two I had to drop to my knees once we got to the happy place.

At least it's done now, and I can collapse in a heap until Thursday. I don't think I'll be able to do much Resistance with the 6kg but we'll see. I need to start being more diligent about my daily stretching too, over the two weeks my hamstrings appear to have shrunk to the length of pepparami sausages. :eek:

Plumfoodie said:
Fighting a germ still, but decided to tackle week 1 core today.....
.... I had to drop to my knees once we got to the happy place

"Once we got to the happy place" -!!!!!!
Oh Plum, you cracked me up with this :D :D :D
So classic Ryan!

Back