plum swings! a diary

Week 5 core done with the 6kg bell, on target to finish week 6 next week and have a week's break for the bank hol. Then I'm going to tackle KW advanced!

Hard going today, not feeling too energetic. Substituted the last lot of seated figure 8s with reverse ab curls as was just too knackered!

I was a bit cranky today, because I was sick yesterday and couldn't do either kettlebells or pilates, and then I got home from work late tonight. BUT I am not going to be able to exercise tomorrow, as we're at the mercy of in-laws for the day (and also not in charge of the food), and Sunday is too close to Monday when I do the core routine.

I don't like to exercise too late because it disrupts my sleep, so I thought I'd just do a pilates DVD as it's less energetic. BUT then (slovenly plum) my sitting room was too messy to have enough room for pilates. So I gave up, submitted to fate, and did week 5 resistance with the 6kg bell instead. :)

This routine went pretty well actually, I only had to pause it once to get my breath (and that was well into set 2), I did full planks and the only modification I did was doing standing ab twists and horse-stance side bends instead of one-armed swings. Goes so much quicker when you don't have to pause after every single exercise!

Week 6 core checked off today! Used the 6kg bell throughout and although I was a little unenergetic (I left it too long after breakfast I think) it went pretty smoothly. I am still doing the modified versions of windmills (bell in the bottom hand rather than the top, although when I feel up to it I put a tiny 4lb bell in the top hand too) and side planks (keep my bottom leg bent back) but hey, I gotta have somewhere to progress from eh Ryan? ;)

Not 100% sure when week 6 resistance is going to happen, I would normally do it Thursday but have booked in for a pilates class that night (last one that I've pre-paid for) and then we're being invaded by in-laws. Maybe Wednesday night, but that might make Thursday pilates a bit tough going! So we'll see I guess. :) I'm determined to do it though to give closure to this round of kettleworx, I can then have my week off with no guilt and look forward to advanced! :eek:

I got a little bit poorly and so I missed out week 6 resistance and also pilates class last week.

Going to go back to pilates class this Thursday (to use up the week I've paid for already) and then back to Ryan and KW Advanced next Monday. I feel better for having had a little break, my muscles seem to have appreciated it!

Sooo. Level 2 kettleworx. Core week 1. 6kg bell.

OUCH.

I'm so warm now it's unbelievable. (didn't help that I hoovered the house beforehand so I was already pretty warm)

It was nice to see some new moves actually! But I did miss Ryan's little pre-warmup intros. No mention of how I must be in those skinny jeans by now? Handy though that core level 2 appears to still consist of 3 sets, I'm hoping resistance will still be 2 sets. I was pleased to see my favourite sensible blonde woman doing so well in comparison to the sports-bra clad wannabes! :D

Warm-up - old faithful!

Disco side bends - oh, old friend, how I missed you during my rest week. I'm still doing these with the bell in the bottom hand, although if I feel up to challenging myself I'll hold one of the tiny bells in my upper hand. My arm doesn't want to stay pointing straight up and this is very wobbly with the heavier bells.

Arm circles - eh? Not sure I get this one. Didn't mind or not mind it, just not sure what it was doing!

Onto the floor now... I couldn't do all of these as fast as Ryan but I'm happy doing it a bit slower with the right form:

Leg scissor kicks - I enjoyed these, they reminded me of pilates exercises. In set 3 I let the bell rest on the floor part of the time. Don't tell Ryan.

Windshield wipers - another oldie but a goodie, by set 3 (ie after all the new exercises) I could really feel these working the sides of my waist.

Catapult situps with a twist - whew! who'd have thought the twists would add so much difficulty to catapult situps, which I have enjoyed in the past! yikes!

Front plank with a twist - oh. em. gee. wuh. tuh. fuh. Ryan? don't you love us any more? In set 3 I had to drop to my knees and do the closest I could manage. :eek:

Side crunch with mermaid tail - I didn't even try these with the bell. As mentioned in disco side bends, my arms don't do well with a heavy bell up in the air, and I wanted to focus on technique as this was my first time doing them. I managed them, but blimey could I feel the muscles by the end. Next time I will try this with the tiniest bell just to get my arm used to having something up there I think.

Football hike and wide receiver catch - these were ok, not too different to the normal wide receiver catch, but I was so tired at this point in the set that it was really a struggle to get the bell up properly into the air!

So, that's it. I'm still alive, but I think I'm going to feel this tomorrow!

Well done Plum. Yep the overall format remains the same so 3 sets in Core and 2 in Cardio and Resistance. Same warm up and cool down as always.

Lovely blonde lady features much more in the advanced dvds - its Tracy by the way.

Skinny jeans do get a mention although a little less frequently.

From week 4 (which I'm on now) the pace picks up as well. But thats what the pause button is for if it gets a little too much. Its surprising as you say how much a tweak to an exercise you're used to adds a whole new dimension. Since I broke my little toe earlier in the year I struggle with the plank rotations as I find it loads too much weight onto my toe so I do as many as I can and then revert to a normal plank for the rest of the time. I think Ryan would be ok with that :)

Right off to do Wk4 Core myself now. Let the sweating commence!! :eek:

Thanks for the info Sue. I am curious how you find it switching back from advanced to the level 1 DVDs at the end of the six weeks - does it seem slower/easier or just 'different'? And yes, I think Ryan would be totally fine with the plank twist modifications. :)

Thanks for the info Sue. I am curious how you find it switching back from advanced to the level 1 DVDs at the end of the six weeks - does it seem slower/easier or just 'different'? And yes, I think Ryan would be totally fine with the plank twist modifications. :)

To be honest it doesn't feel much different but it is nice to welcome back the old favourites that you don't get in the Advanced, for example the first two Core exercises - the twist and the side bends and of course spelling Kettleworx which only pops up once I think in the Advanced.

Good to know as I was worried that it might feel like a bit of a backwards step and although I'm happy to nudge the bell weights up as needed I don't want to be having to buy a new one every 6 weeks or something...

Looking forward to advanced week 1 resistance a bit later today, currently gobsmacked by a loss of 1.7 lb in a week where I've been eating maintenance calories and only done one workout!!! :O

Level 2 resistance, week 1 today. I guess they call it level 2 for a reason! I found this really hard going although my new workout clothes with magic wicking fabric and discreet breathing panels at least meant I felt less like melting. When things got really tough I focussed on the lovely Tracy and how one day I might make it look as effortless as she does (ha, probably not, though!).

Cross-over pushups - I'm still doing mantlepiece pushups for these, although I did manage one of the 4 (4!!! Ryan!!!) sets doing box pushups on my knees veeery slowly. Was seriously astonished to see these crop up four times in total! :eek:

Squat and dunk - Ryan looked so enthusiastic introducing these that I almost haven't the heart to say I modified them. My knees aren't great so I avoid jumping - I did a squat and dunk without the jump, just went on tip-toe at the end. I must admit I did not envision getting my skinny jeans down off the top shelf!

Catapult situps - I enjoy these and today they seemed really easy after the variation with a twist seen in week 1 core!

Kettlebell flies - was pleased to see these reappear as they didn't much in level 1 and I enjoy them and find them a really good exercise. For set 1 I stuck with my 7.5lb bell but in set 2 I decided to challenge myself with the 10lb. I managed them, but had to go very slowly and by the end I couldn't have done any more!

One-armed chest press - I liked this new exercise and was surprised I was able to do it with the 6kg bell, although again I couldn't have done many more reps

Pull-over and crunch - oh, goodie. I'm soooo glad these are still here in level 2. Haha. Hahaha. Ha! :p

Back-step squat lunge - I find lunges really difficult. I think part of it is that my ankles aren't too flexible and so it's hard for me to get low enough to be in a powerful position to come back up. I managed these in set 1 and set 2 but hold the bell in front of my chest instead of passing it under as this makes me want to fall over!

Side leg pulses - always find these soooo hard, and whichever leg I start on is then really sore to stand on while I do the other one. I guess it's good that these are in level 2 as obviously I still need to work on them! They seem to last forever!

Side curtsey lunge - more lunges, noooo. In set 2 I had to do these without the bell.

(more pushups, see above!)

Forward squat lunge - more lunges, gah! I had to do these without the bell in set 2, too.

Lying leg-overs - these were a bit strange but felt quite effective. I don't think I would have stood a chance with these without having done level 1 core workouts!!

So, that's it. Next week I'm going to have to be a bit more careful about eating the right breakfast to fuel Resistance, and not wait too long after breakfast to do it. Hopefully this will give me enough energy to get through it with more oomph and I'll be able to do more of the exercises 'properly'.

On the plus side I feel I challenged myself today to step up intensity/weights on some of the exercises and I didn't have to pause as much as I used to (got through the whole lot in 36 minutes, which for Resistance is pretty good for me).

I just looked at the calendar and somehow I've timed the start of this kettleworx round to finish right before my next visit to my parents in Cyprus, so that's magically worked out well. I would have liked to have done level 2 over 12 weeks the first time around (ie week 1 two weeks in a row etc) to get better at some of the exercises as I found this really beneficial for my first time through level 1, but it will be a plum challenge (my version of Ryan's trainer challenges) to do it in 6 instead. :)

Level 2 week 2 core completed with the 6kg bell! I was kind of hoping core rowers would be benched in level 2 but no such luck...

The main new exercise that sticks in my mind from this routine was the boxer knee raise things. I couldn't do the whole lot of these as my arms got tired! In sets 1 and 2 I rested my arms towards the end and just hiked my knee. In set 3 I gave up and just did reverse ab crunches on the floor!

I was soooo sore for so long after week 1 resistance that I'm not much looking forward to tackling week 2 on Thursday, but I shall persevere if for no other reason than I can have my protein shake and (healthy oat) cookie afterwards! I'm already dreading the 'stepping up' in week 4 but will cross that bridge when I come to it... :eek:

Hi Plum - I hear ya on the boxer knee raise "picking a coconunt from a tree" sadistic exercise. Just done them on Wk5 Core now. I loathe them - it's always the easiest of moves which are the hardest I find. I usually end up using my 5kg as my arms kill and I end up with a horrible rictus grimace on my face - thankfully there's no mirror or anyone to see me!

You're doing so well. Don't worry about wk4 onwards. Just use the pause button to get your breath back. Its pretty much the same exercises you are used to but the tempo is raised a bit more. You'll be fine. xx

I know how you feel about dreading the next session. My 8kg bell sits and glowers at me in the corner of the living room until I can stand it no longer. I dust it off and get started. Once I get going I'm fine it's the thinking about it that's worse. My problem is that I took a break and have just got back into it. Completed week 1 for the umpteenth time yesterday. Pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to go back to 4kg bell. Now starting to look forward to week2 resistance tomorrow. You can't help but love Ryan!

Hi Plum - I hear ya on the boxer knee raise "picking a coconunt from a tree" sadistic exercise. Just done them on Wk5 Core now. I loathe them - it's always the easiest of moves which are the hardest I find. I usually end up using my 5kg as my arms kill and I end up with a horrible rictus grimace on my face - thankfully there's no mirror or anyone to see me!

You're doing so well. Don't worry about wk4 onwards. Just use the pause button to get your breath back. Its pretty much the same exercises you are used to but the tempo is raised a bit more. You'll be fine. xx

Aw thanks Sue, and I'm glad to hear that it's not just me who finds the coconut from a tree thing so difficult!!! Next time I think I will follow your lead and just drop to a lighter bell throughout these.

I know how you feel about dreading the next session. My 8kg bell sits and glowers at me in the corner of the living room until I can stand it no longer. I dust it off and get started. Once I get going I'm fine it's the thinking about it that's worse. My problem is that I took a break and have just got back into it. Completed week 1 for the umpteenth time yesterday. Pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to go back to 4kg bell. Now starting to look forward to week2 resistance tomorrow. You can't help but love Ryan!

Indeed you can't! Good on you - I can't imagine an 8kg bell glowering at me - my 6kg is bad enough! :D

I've put mine in the cupboard and they are def sulking .. Can't wait to use them again :)

Level 2 week 2 resistance done with the 6kg bell. I was glad there was no coconut picking in this routine! Noteable points of this routine:

FOUR FLIPPING LOTS of side leg pulses - I find these a killer as after I've done the leg pulses with one leg, I then have to stand steadily on it to do them with the other which also works the muscles. For the fourth lot of these I just did side leg raises whilst lying on my side as I was all tuckered out by then!

One-legged floor touch - I only came across these once or twice in level 1 and I hadn't missed them! I have to be careful not to go too low as it makes my lower back ache, although I hope as I get stronger I'll be able to go a bit further.

One-legged swing with squat - in the first set I found myself wondering what these were for, in the second set I could feel it a bit more. I guess I'm not very flexible as I can't actually do a very good kick around, but again hopefully that will improve.

Lawnmowers - yay! I missed these! how sad is that? :D

One-legged butt elevators - these are quite challenging as you have to keep a really strong core and good balance everywhere or you wobble a lot. I liked them and I felt that they were more of a workout than the normal ones! Nice to see the lovely Tracy kicking butt in this one, I really do aspire to be strong like her.

Wide receiver catches - these seem easier now when they don't have the accompanying 'hike' variation! :)

Hip pump and crunch - well, this had to be in here, didn't it really!

So, I survived. Was lacking energy a bit today so I had to pause a fair amount but pleased I got through it!

By the way I had a yucky 2lb gain this week despite having been on track. I'm not sure whether I've been eating more of something I'm sensitive to (my stomach's pretty puffed up) or if it was restarting the kettlebells that did it. But I'll keep on keeping on and hopefully do better next week!

Hi Plum - well done for getting through Wk2 - its quite a leggy and squatty one. Some are quite armey I find as well. Wish they could be mixed up a little more but I'm sure the lovely Ryan knows what he's doing! :)

If only I could get my leg up high on those swing squats like the girls on the dvd. Oh look the chair has got a bit higher - has it now!!

Just done Wk5 Resistance - you'll love this one. Lawnmowers, no coconuts and the addition of the flying superman. And no I'm not going to spoil the surprise but you will like it - promise! :) xxx

Ooh, the flying superman, you've just made me look forward to week 5 Sue! :D

And I LOL'd about the chair, my thoughts were pretty similar at the time!

Back