Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Thanks Cali! Have to say I am paying today for so much eating out yesterday. But today is a new day. :)

And Ruth, that sounds like an amazing sight to see on the way to work!

I agree today is a new day :) So no worries :)

Too late to catch up on forum properly now but wanted to admit to my naughtiness while it was still fresh in my mind. I felt pretty yucky today, really sore and achey, and so my food all went a bit wrong. I didn't have anything until 3pm or so, then didn't do toooo badly until dinner, when I ate a mountain of pasta and then some chocolate popcorn for no reason I can explain. At least it was the last baggie of chocolate popcorn, so unless I buy more that shouldn't happen again. 125 calories over my allowance today which isn't the end of the world but not super either!

Snack: Nakd cocoa orange bar

Lunch: Amy's Low Fat Lentil Soup

Snack: pistachio nuts

Dinner: IKEA meatballs, parmesan pasta (way too much, over double a GI friendly portion) and broccoli

Snack: M&S chocolate popcorn

Food looked good for most of the day.

But is it me or is it something to do with those evil Ikea meatballs or what? They should come with warning lables :) I suffered from their curse last weekend.

Ohhh I never had chocolate covered popcorn. Hmmmmm sounds yummy. Actually today I have cravings for ice cream, and maybe a chocolate milkshake :( Only reason why I didn't go get one is because tomorrow is weigh in day >_<

I think there were a few of us who ate food for inexplicable reasons yesterday. Chocolate popcorn for you, strawberry scone for me (m and s have a lot to answer for) and fries for Ruth. Maybe there wa something in the air yesterday? Let's blame it on atmospherics! :D

I think that's an excellent idea Ashie! A plausible scientific reason suits me!

And yes Cali I agree about the meatballs. I do love them but could eat about a thousand of them. Of course I don't so I think I take out the hunger on other foods. ;)

I think I'm two days behind at the moment. Last night a friend needed to talk and things got a bit late, and I spent all of this afternoon in A&E so missed lunch.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: fruity porridge

Lunch: chickpea/bulgur/red pepper pilaf with lowfat feta

Dinner: chickpea/veg curry with steamed veggies from the garden plus about 1/5 of a mini naan bread

Snacks: Nakd cocoa mint bar, mini brie from M&S, apple

Today:

Breakfast: turkey/tomato scrambled eggs, oat scone w/olive oil spread

Lunch: ... (didn't eat before the hospital thing happened)

Snack: IKEA wholegrain crackerbread w/peanut butter and an apple, milk

Dinner: I think turkey/wholewheat noodle soup with plenty of nice veggies and garlic, plus maybe some toast and fruit/yoghurt for pudding

Food sounds really great the past two days.

What is A&E? Is it something in the hospital? Sorry I feel really stupid for asking:( I hope everything is ok.

Thanks Cali! A&E is the emergency dept at the hospital. I had quite a funny turn this morning which was pretty scary but feeling a bit better now. I think/hope it's probably stress! I should obviously eat more chocolate...

OMG PLUM! Are you okay? I'm so sorry that you had to go to the A&E :( I hope you're doing better. Ohhh poor dear. You did really good today for food especially for the situation you are in.

Yoga is really good for stress. I don't stress as much as I used to since I started doing yoga.

Aw Cali you are sweet but please don't worry. They tested me and although they're not sure what the cause was they were pretty sure I should be fine after a couple days of taking it easy. Which was a relief! I should start meditating again, I used to find that really relaxing. :)

Meditating is really great. My yoga is my meditation, with the breathing we have to do with the moves. But I too have been considering to do some meditating. I'm reading about it right now in the yoga book I borrowed.

Weigh-in this morning! +1.4 lb today. At first I was a bit upset (not that I had any right to be, because my food this week was not all on plan as recapped further down, and I've started retaining monthly water) but then I looked a bit deeper at the numbers provided by my fancy-schmancy scales.

This week I've been trying to do a bit of exercise (and I do mean a tiny bit, 6 minutes on my light cardio machine some days and I did some 2lb arm weights one day - I have to be careful not to tip my ME into a downward spiral which is frustrating sometimes) as I was concerned that my body fat % was never going down.

If the scales are to be believed, this had some effect this week. The body fat % (and therefore lean muscle mass) that it shows can vary depending on your hydration level so it will never be 100% precise, but according to it I've put on 1.2lb of lean muscle mass this week and my body fat % has gone down by 0.4. That seems like a lot and I'm pretty sure some of that is the variation in the scales but even if it was only 1/2 or 1/4 of that it is still progress! So I'm not as unhappy as I was when the weight number first stared up at me. :)

Food this week has been a bit all over the place and I was feeling a bit rebellious and like having a less strict week:

* One day I had a rebellious pizza lunch, which was within my calories but still pizza. :D

* One day (the ballooning day) I was not on plan at all.

* Two days I didn't eat enough for whatever reason.

* One day was sort of on plan but I missed breakfast and then overate calories and had a massive portion of pasta plus a junky snack.

The remaining days were pretty much on plan. Definitely not a textbook week! A gain is less upsetting I think if you can see where it's come from.

As far as my goals were concerned...

I didn't manage to drink 8 glasses of water every day this week, but I did on some days. Since this is an ongoing requirement I'm going to 'silently' carry it over, that is I won't list it in my weekly goals but will still be keeping track.

The kitchen cupboard clearout was half-completed. We managed to go through some cupboards and remove everything that wasn't good for me to eat. My husband now has a shopping bag full of goodies to munch on as he wishes. :D I'll roll this one over as there are still some cupboards to go!

Last edited:
That's really good that you've gained more muscles, that's a non-scale victory:) It'll help you burn more in the end.

I'm sure next week will show the results :)

So, goals for this upcoming week. I'm not going to list drinking water anymore, because I plan to track that as a business-as-usual activity. After last week's rebellious streak I'm going to try to have a good week this week; I feel in the zone (right now I do, anyway, we'll see how it goes!).

I'm also going to try to keep up my small amount of exercise but I don't put that as a goal as I can't control whether I may be too tired to do any (whereas I can control my food).

Goals:

Have a week of good days. For the purposes of gauging whether this has been met, this will mean:

* stay within my calories (and any in-calorie treats must be GI friendly)

* hit my fiber target

* have at least 2 lowfat dairy portions/day

* have wheat a maximum of once a day

* stick to the recommended GI/GL portion sizes of things like bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc (ensuring these carb choices are all GI/GL friendly and that I always have protein with them).

I will count a day as successful if I manage 4 of these 5 things.

Have 'good fats' with every meal and snack. I'm pretty good about getting protein in all the time but sometimes the good fats are lacking. Even a small amount will 'count' (ie a few almonds, tsp of olive oil, etc).

Continue the kitchen cupboard clearout. Get 2 of the remaining 4 cupboards cleared out of non-GI/GL-friendly foods.

Last edited:
I like your goals. I'm sure you'll do great :)

First of all, Plum - I hope you are feeling better. Taking plenty of rest but also being active - I love it when doctors say that. :D

Secondly, go you for putting on muscle. Woohoo. :D That is definitely a victory. I know from mfp that you have been exercising so it's all paying off. Well done, you. :)

Back