Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Oh Poor Plum :(, maybe you ought to take the day off as sick? I know its not great before you go on holiday but you need to take care of yourself.

Pretty amazing on weight loss of 5 oz whilst being sick (not that you'd recommend it, of course). I know mum of one lost weight during a sickness and I'm pretty certain she has kept it off. I know you wanted to be 165lbs before you went on holiday but it's a pretty drastic way of guaranteeing the weight loss. :D

I did have a sick day Ashie but we have funny rules about sick days right before holidays. So best if I can drag myself in tomorrow, otherwise the red tape is horrendous.

Actually I wanted to be 175, LOL! I can also fit into the previously-muffintoppy trousers, but yes I agree a bit extreme. ;)

Oops, I meant 175 :)

Oh what a shame about having to go in. Well, in that case, show everyone how ill you are and then leave. :D

Ohh poor Plum, that's horrible that you can't take a sick day:( I think you should really show them how sick you are, maybe they'll send you home for the day.

That's great that you got to your vacation weight goal, though you are going through hell for it :( I hope you'll get better soon. Looks like everyone who has this cold is having it for at least two weeks :(

Sigh. Have postponed my trip for a week and am still stuck in bed. Will now attempt not to eat the entire contents of the kitchen in a fit of Mope. Magically put on 1.4lb overnight so it's probably a bad idea. ;)

Oh no Plum :( I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling better. I think postponing your vacation a week later will be much better. By then you should be much better and be able to enjoy your vacation.

Please stay warm and drink lots of hot ginger tea or rooibos tea. Hugs!

CaliSweden said:
Oh no Plum :( I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling better. I think postponing your vacation a week later will be much better. By then you should be much better and be able to enjoy your vacation.

Please stay warm and drink lots of hot ginger tea or rooibos tea. Hugs!

Thanks Cali, and I know you're right really. Much better to go and enjoy than to go and convalesce the whole time.

Well, goodness me. I found a recipe online for a natural remedy tea that's supposed to be good for tonsillitis, flu etc. (if you're curious, google 'Cure-All Ginger Tea', although there are other sites extolling the virtues of cayenne - I couldn't face just gargling with plain cayenne water though, no way!)

All I can say is, well, gosh. That is one hot! hot! hot! tea. Much hotter than just steeping ginger and making a tea with it and honey and lemon (of course the cayenne contributes). I don't normally eat super-hot foods. I mixed it with a little fresh lemon juice and manuka honey and am just about able to sip it, my forehead is beading up and everything. I'm going to try mixing the remaining half cup with some redbush tea just to make it a little easier to drink.

If it's as powerful as it feels then I should be all better by tomorrow. Yikes.

Ah what a shame you had to postpone your holiday because you were really looking forward to it. However, I do think it's the right thing to do because you dont want to be ill during your holiday - it's one of those things best done in the comfort of your own home. :)

I've had the ginger tea or something akin to it (a relative gave it to me to drink when I was visiting them with a really bad cold). It was very syrupy and very strong. It took me ages to drink it :) But wow, does it work. I'm not surprised you feel sweaty with all that ginger and cayenne pepper. :D I'm sure that you will feel better, although you may sweat buckets overnight.

I know you guys are right. I felt quite bad because my mom kept saying 'fly here and we'll look after you'. But I can't imagine a 5 hour flight only to then be ill there when I can be ill fairly satisfactorily at home.

Ashie, I'm so glad you can personally endorse this type of tea. If I drank it and it did nothing at all I'd feel pretty silly for sweating my way through it!

I have not had a good attitude towards food today. Maybe better tomorrow!

Breakfast: err... the thought of The Raspberry may still have been with me this morning

Lunch: chicken salad (bless my husband, who left it in the fridge for me), and an untoward amount of dark chocolate

Snack: freshly extracted apple, carrot, ginger and lemon juice

Snack: peanut butter (I can't be the only person who eats this from a spoon sometimes? I needed to settle my stomach for my antibiotic but I didn't particularly want anything else with it) plus a teaspoon of manuka honey in the evil hot tea

Dinner: a kind of made up ham and broccoli carbonara/alfredo thing with fresh egg tagliatelle

Still have some calories left but don't imagine I will do much with them this evening!

Ashie, I'm so glad you can personally endorse this type of tea. If I drank it and it did nothing at all I'd feel pretty silly for sweating my way through it!

Oh dear, who said anything about personally endorsing it? Heehee :p

If I remember rightly, I ate it like a soup with a teaspoon.

Oh dear, who said anything about personally endorsing it? Heehee :p

If I remember rightly, I ate it like a soup with a teaspoon.

Hehe, well perhaps 'attest to the power of' rather than 'endorsing' would be a better phrase to use. ;)

Half of my cupful is sitting on the coffee table as we type, just *looking* at me. I'm a little frightened.

Is it looking fierce? "Fierce" is my Lo's favourite word at the moment.

I love eating peanut butter from a spoon :) I usually let my dog clean off the peanut butter spoon. I told my guy animals love peanut butter too. Last winter we had a mouse in the attic, I could hear it chewing on wood, it was so creepy. My OH bought traps to put up, but he kept saying cheese is the best to catch it. I told him that's BS, because I tried it back home, and the mouse in the garage ignored the cheese. But we put a trap with peanut butter on it, and bingo. So my guy put two traps up, one with cheese and one with peanut butter. Guess which trap did it's job. Sorry for the icky story, but I was trying to explain how great peanut butter is. Maybe it was a bad example :(

I know eating spicy foods is supposed to be good for you when you're sick. I can't do it though, since when I'm sick hot foods seem to really be really really really spicy. And I love spicy foods normally.

How nice that your dog gets a little pb Cali. It's easy to forget that our pets benefit from a little bit of good fat too!

Very dull day today! Food was nice though! Lots of chilli today.

Breakfast: mushrooms, baked beans & poached egg

Snack: fresh juice - carrot, leek and ginger (supposed to be good for when you're sick - yeuch)

Lunch: chicken chilli burger with Cypriot lentils and rice (I could eat this forever), steamed veggies from the garden, and garlic/mint/paprika yoghurt

Snack: more evil cayenne tea, and peanut butter

Dinner: fresh tagliatelle (rest of yesterday's pack) with Thai red curry paste and prawns, and salad

Food sounds absolutely lovely. Loved your lunch - wish I had eaten it too. :)

How are you feeling? Is the fierce (intimidating) tea working? I've got to say when I have a cold all I want is spicy, zingy-zangy food.

Back