Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Ah, Plum. Let's put it down to a blip and start again tomorrow at BREAKFAST time :D

Tomorrow is a new day so no worries ladies. At least the ice cream was low GI, so you get bonus points for that :) The other week when I had ice cream, it was the real ice cream made from cream >_<

Cream is low GI, I think? But yes I do like the Booja Booja stuff, it's pretty yummy and I don't get a sugar buzz after eating it (even an enoooormous bowlful).

Ashie, I would have had custard if I'd had any! It was that kind of day.

(and yes I managed to have breakfast today, I always eat better on workdays which doesn't make any sense to me!)

Breakfast: porridge with pear, dried cranberries (no sugar, just apple juice sweetened - yum!) and hazelnuts

Lunch: quinoa, cherry tomato and chicken salad

Snack: strawberries and a Nakd bar

Snack: forgotten pistachios!

Dinner: macaroni broccoli cheese and Quorn dippers (this is the second time I've had this in the last couple of weeks - you can tell winter is setting in)

Last edited:
Your food sounds good. I might have to try out Quorn one of these days :)

2.4lb on this week - not a surprise as it's been creeping up all week, and not too upsetting as I think my body has been settling down after last week when I was still quite ill and (I think) dehydrated. I'm sure my metabolism also slowed down while I wasn't eating much and stuck in bed, and it will take a little while for it to get back to normal.

I'm going to start my Christmas challenge weight from now, otherwise I will start with a negative figure and have to lose 12.4lb which I don't think is achievable for me!

Last edited:
One really interesting thing, when I was ill I was avoiding all grains/sugars (except bananas, for awhile they and yoghurt were all I could eat) and I've lost just under an inch from my waist and dropped 1 'point' from the visceral fat rating that my scale measures in that time. Both these measures had stayed pretty constant for the previous few months (in fact it was a source of consternation to me, I was losing but my tummy was just as fat as ever!).

Makes me think there might be something to the theory that grains contribute to belly fat and that if you want to lose it quickly you should avoid them as much as possible and get your carbs from plenty of veggies and fruits. I could never do this all of the time, but I might try to do another week when I'm not ill (maybe a week or two after I come back from Cyprus to let the flight water retention disappear first) and see if the results are the same.

I think your body is healing itself and getting better.

Every body works differently with different foods. Maybe your body is more sensitive to grains like you said. It would be interesting to see how it goes for you with trying to go without grains for a week or two.

Plum, your 2.4lb is actually not that bad is it? You lost an incredibly 5lb last week, so it's still a net loss of over 2lbs, and if you average it out over the last two weeks, it's a net loss of over 1lb a week. That's pretty good in my book. :)

I agree with you about Chrimbo Challenge completely as it makes more sense to start from today's weight as it is a more "stable" weight.

Like you, I have a lot of visceral fat and lot of it is around my belly. I still eat a lot of grains (although not as much as before) and would find it difficult not to eat grains. My OH says he can tell when I have not had grains because I get really moody. So, although I won't be cutting out grains for even a week, I would be very interested to see how you get on. One question though: what happens to your tummy when you start eating grains again?

Plum, your 2.4lb is actually not that bad is it? You lost an incredibly 5lb last week, so it's still a net loss of over 2lbs, and if you average it out over the last two weeks, it's a net loss of over 1lb a week. That's pretty good in my book. :)

I agree with you about Chrimbo Challenge completely as it makes more sense to start from today's weight as it is a more "stable" weight.

Like you, I have a lot of visceral fat and lot of it is around my belly. I still eat a lot of grains (although not as much as before) and would find it difficult not to eat grains. My OH says he can tell when I have not had grains because I get really moody. So, although I won't be cutting out grains for even a week, I would be very interested to see how you get on. One question though: what happens to your tummy when you start eating grains again?

Thanks ladies for the supportive comments. :)

I can't say in the long term yet about the grains, but I have been eating them for the past week and my waist measurement/visceral fat rating stayed the same. I suspect that it takes more than the small low GI portions of healthy whole grains for this fat to build up, although of course I don't know for sure! Mine certainly developed over time (although I've always had a bit of a tum) and I used to eat absolutely massive portions of pasta, a lot of wholemeal bread, etc. compared to what I eat now.

Breakfast: smoothie with banana, peanut butter, and whey protein

Lunch: multigrain wrap with turkey, tomato and sweet chilli Philly light, plus some olives

Snack: apple + reduced fat cheddar

Snack: pistachios

Dinner: turkey, mushroom & white bean meatloaf with sweet potato, broccoli and leeks

Your food sounds really yummy. The smoothie sounds really nice, I've always wanted to try smoothies, but I am scared that I will get hungry really fast.

The meatloaf sounds tastey. Did you put the white beans and the sweet potatoes inside the meatloaf? It sounds really yummy :)

We'll see about the meatloaf, it's cooking now. The sweet potato, spinach, broccoli and leeks are side veggies, the mushrooms and white beans are in the loaf. :)

Compared to you and Cali, I seem to be eating loads of food. :rolleyes:

What a great way to start the day. Sounds lovely.

I've never had meatloaf, I wonder what it is like? It's an American thing, isn't it?

AshieFan said:
Compared to you and Cali, I seem to be eating loads of food. :rolleyes:

What a great way to start the day. Sounds lovely.

I've never had meatloaf, I wonder what it is like? It's an American thing, isn't it?

I'm eating 1500 cals so that can't be true! My portions are not small. :) Maybe I should be more descriptive! ;) The smoothie was to entice me to actually have breakfast.

Meatloaf is nice, originally it was a way to make mince go further (breadcrumbs etc) but the low GI ones use other things instead of bread. Chicken or turkey mince work as well as beef; it's not what you'd call an exciting meal, more of a comforting family dish. Sort of like a giant loaf-shaped burger. ;)

Is it not dry, though? Would you have gravy with it?

If you are a gravy person you can, or a tomato sauce (homemade from passata, or just ketchup) - we will have mustard with the one today. Part of the role of the eggs, crumbs etc is to help keep it moist, moistness is the holy grail of meatloaf making. Personally I don't like things with a lot of sauce/gravy so a dab of something suits me. :)

Cool. Is there a recipe somewhere? I may give it a go, I wonder if OH will try it? :rolleyes:

Back