Infertililty ?
Irregular periods Yes until metformin
excessive facial hair YES
excessive body hair YES
Acne (facial)
Tiredness lethargy yes
Extreme mood swings yes
Male pattern baldness (Thinning)
Skin tags (YES til they were burned off!)

I have had pcos since I started periods, but diagnosed in 1999 and told I was infertile. Then did Atkins for a month or 2 and conceived by wonderful 6 year old girl. I split with her dad and haven't tried to conceive again, altho would dearly love another child. I was on metformin til I started CD, and this has regulated my periods. But I suffer with extreme breast pain and mood swings, altho moods are less since I lost weight on low carb. I am now SS and not getting pmt, which is weird, but good.

The best weight loss I had was a low fat low carb diet. You might want to try Vitaline which has a special pcos diet, if conception is a goal - I hear they had a lot of success. It might be adoo alternative if you arent allowed to SS at present.

I believe we cysters should stick together too!

Best of luck, take care

Clairabellx

Hiya Slimslow ,
Firstly thats an awful thing to have gone through having your son taken from you like that and i truly hope that you find him again one day :) xxx

I don't know the best way to stimulate ovulation when i took metformin they did regulate my periods although i am not sure if it was a genuine period or just a bleed . I would be wary about buying medication from the internet and self medicating as metformin can be quite dangerous . Maybe your doctor can help you with ivf as Mich suggested it must be worth a try !
Good luck with everything slimslow xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi thanks for your advise, i was advised to loose weiht first before anything can be done.

Well i will stop internet shopping for meds.

Thanks
K:break_diet:

Hey there Roch ,
So glad your posting again , I would love to know the name of the cream you were prescribed if you wouldn't mind. :D
I hope the tablets are effective for you . I have just ordered the GL book you suggested sounds interesting and a healthy GI approach will be better than just floundering i think . Well scenic route it maybe Roch but when we get there we have shopping to do ;) !
Thanks again Hunny for everything ! xxxxxxxxx

Hey Julie, the cream is called Vaniqa and it is meant to work by blocking the enzymes that promote hair growth from the hair folicle, here is the link for some info on it.

VANIQA : The first and only prescription cream clinically proven to reduce the growth of unwanted facial hair in women. this is a american link but its an identical product and on nhs prescription here in the uk.Also if ur gp wont prescribe it you can buy it online for about £19.99 a tube.

Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) has Eflora cream for reducing the rate of facial hair growth in women. Eflora cream is generic version of the Vaniqa cream and is an affective alternative. Order now using our safe and secure online orderin...

Take care hun and chat soon xxx

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago, the clomid did not work, the next step is for me to have ovarian drilling sounds lovely!, but they will not do this whilst ovreweight hence me starting cambridge diet. I was told to go away and come back until my bmi was at least 35 as of this mornign its 41, it was 46 when i started CD so fast improvement in 2 weeks.

I am on metformin and get the side effects of diarrohea and upset tummy but it has made my cycles regularly and hopefully ovulating.

I am 32 and my husband 44, he has said he does not want children too late in life so its the next year or never.

Fingers crossed

Hi Kandy,

Weight gain YES
Inability to lose weight Until CD yes
Insulin resistance YES
Infertililty ?
Irregular periods Yes until metformin
excessive facial hair YES
excessive body hair YES
Acne (facial)
Tiredness lethargy yes
Extreme mood swings yes
Male pattern baldness (Thinning)
Skin tags (YES til they were burned off!)

I have had pcos since I started periods, but diagnosed in 1999 and told I was infertile. Then did Atkins for a month or 2 and conceived by wonderful 6 year old girl. I split with her dad and haven't tried to conceive again, altho would dearly love another child. I was on metformin til I started CD, and this has regulated my periods. But I suffer with extreme breast pain and mood swings, altho moods are less since I lost weight on low carb. I am now SS and not getting pmt, which is weird, but good.

The best weight loss I had was a low fat low carb diet. You might want to try Vitaline which has a special pcos diet, if conception is a goal - I hear they had a lot of success. It might be adoo alternative if you arent allowed to SS at present.

I believe we cysters should stick together too!

Best of luck, take care

Clairabellx

Hi Clairabell,

I am pleased your having good results with ssing , i did vitaline about 4 years ago cost quite alot and i found it very difficult to follow as you have alot of rules to follow and i work in a cafe so its very difficult to eat on the run when all the salad and veg has to be soaked in vinegar and then rinsed 4 times . Also eating the 'burns' every 15 minutes was nigh on impossible . You are not advised to eat anything thats in plastic cartons ,pots ,containers or bottles i was so limited i just gave up !:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing with us all !!
Love julie xxxx

Hi thanks for your advise, i was advised to loose weiht first before anything can be done.

Well i will stop internet shopping for meds.

Thanks
K:break_diet:

Hey Kara,
Hope all goes well for you !
Good luck love Julie xxx

Hey Julie, the cream is called Vaniqa and it is meant to work by blocking the enzymes that promote hair growth from the hair folicle, here is the link for some info on it.

VANIQA : The first and only prescription cream clinically proven to reduce the growth of unwanted facial hair in women. this is a american link but its an identical product and on nhs prescription here in the uk.Also if ur gp wont prescribe it you can buy it online for about £19.99 a tube.

Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) Inhouse Pharmacy (UK) has Eflora cream for reducing the rate of facial hair growth in women. Eflora cream is generic version of the Vaniqa cream and is an affective alternative. Order now using our safe and secure online orderin...

Take care hun and chat soon xxx

Hiya Roch,
Hope your well hunny, i will have a look at the cream links you posted all help greatly recieved !
Don't feel very pretty with a fluffy chin:eek: :( :eek: !

I have heard about vaniqa before but never tried it !

catch ya later love Julie xxx

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 5 years ago, the clomid did not work, the next step is for me to have ovarian drilling sounds lovely!, but they will not do this whilst ovreweight hence me starting cambridge diet. I was told to go away and come back until my bmi was at least 35 as of this mornign its 41, it was 46 when i started CD so fast improvement in 2 weeks.

I am on metformin and get the side effects of diarrohea and upset tummy but it has made my cycles regularly and hopefully ovulating.

I am 32 and my husband 44, he has said he does not want children too late in life so its the next year or never.

Fingers crossed

Hiya Mich,
Well done thats a big drop in your BMI in just 2 weeks , you must be very pleased ! :) I hope you are soon pregnant i wish my hubby would be enthusiastic but its just a NO for me i am afraid !

I found that after 2-3 months after starting metformin my stomach was alot better not so many upsets !

I have never heard of ovarian drilling before sounds a bit scary :eek: but hey if you have a little baby its got to be worth it !

Good luck and let us know how you get on lotsa love Julie xxx

Hi girls,
Found this site on another forum and its very helpful for us girlk with pcos x

Text Only | Accessibility Information

Home |
printfriendly.gif
Print this page

What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
Polycystic simply means 'many cysts' and describes the appearance of the ovary on ultrasound scan. On the scan a polycystic ovary is larger than normal with a ring of many cysts around the edge. The cysts are follicles, some are immature but contain an egg, and others are empty. A polycystic ovary contains at least ten cysts just below the surface, and although each cyst only measures between two and eight millimetres, together they make the ovary enlarged. The covering of the ovary (the capsule) thickens, which makes release of the egg difficult.
The diagram of the normal ovary showns a growing follicle and the empty follicle (called the corpus luteum) that is left behind after the release of the egg at ovulation. The diagram of the polycystic ovary showns the many cysts around the edge of the ovary.
Polycystic ovaries are common. About one in five women have them, and generally they present no problems. But when they are accompanied by some, or all, of the symptoms described below, you may be told that you have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is sometimes called Stein-Leventhal syndrome after the doctors who first described it in 1935.

ovaball.gif
Why have a cervical smear?
ovaholder.gif
What is PCOS?
ovaball.gif
PCOS: causes and treatment
ovaball.gif
What are ovarian cysts?
ovaball.gif
Ovarian cysts symptoms
ovaball.gif
Ovarian cysts treatment
ovaball.gif
Ovarian cancer
ovaball.gif
Resources and links
arrowback.gif
Previous | Next
arrownext.gif

ova02.gif
Symptoms of PCOS
Irregular or absent periods
Most women with PCOS do not ovulate because their follicles never ripen enough to reach the ovary's surface and burst. Some women ovulate occasionally. So you may not have any periods, or they may be very irregular and scanty. Women with PCOS may start their periods late and they may also always have irregular cycles. On the other hand some women may have heavy irregular bleeding because of the poor hormone control.
Infertility
If you have PCOS you will only be ovulating occasionally or not at all, so getting pregnant without treatment may be difficult or impossible. Many women do not go to their doctors with irregular periods until they start trying to have a baby. You may only find out then that you have polycystic ovaries.
Miscarriage
There may be an increased risk of miscarriage for women who do become pregnant.
Unwanted body hair
Many women with PCOS experience unwanted hair on their face, chest, abdomen, arms and legs. Hair growth might be quite thick and noticeable, especially if you have dark hair. Some women also notice a slight thinning of their head hair.
Acne
Some women with PCOS have spots on their face, chest and back. Many women who go to their doctor with adult acne find they have polycystic ovaries.
Weight gain
You may find that you put on weight easily. If you put on a lot of weight you may be at increased risk of developing heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes later in life.
Pelvic discomfort
Some women with PCOS feel occasional discomfort in their abdomen.
Feelings about having PCOS
With the possible combination of all or some of these symptoms, it is hardly surprising that many women find living with PCOS a distressing experience.
We all experience continual daily exposure to images of female perfection, idealising smooth skinned, slim models who breeze through periods then effortlessly become mothers at the desired time.
Although not all women with PCOS experience all of the symptoms, any of them can have an effect on the way you view yourself, leaving you with feelings of low self-esteem. Thoughtless comments from others, including doctors, can be very upsetting.
If you want to talk to other women with similar experiences, contact the support group Verity. See the Resources section for their details.
Diagnosis
ova03.gif
PCOS may be diagnosed when you go to the doctor with one of the symptoms listed above. The doctor may then ask about other symptoms and may examine you internally to see if your ovaries are enlarged.
Your doctor may also take a blood sample to check your hormone levels, and may want you to have an ultrasound scan. Modern ultrasound is very sensitive and can detect small cysts.
If the diagnosis is unclear, for example if it is suspected that you may also have endometriosis or scar tissue due to previous pelvic infection, you may be offered a laparoscopy.
A laparoscopy allows the surgeon to look at the outside of the womb and at ovaries and fallopian tubes. It can also be used to take tissue samples. It involves making two small cuts, in the lower abdomen and near the navel. Air is passed into the pelvic cavity to lift the abdominal wall away from the internal organs, and a small viewing instrument (the laparoscope) is inserted through one of the incisions (see the diagram on the right). An instrument used to manipulate the pelvic organs is inserted through the other small cut. The operation usually takes about 30 minutes and is done in hospital. You will be given a general anaesthetic before the procedure and will have a few stitches afterwards.
Two small scars are left, and you may feel some discomfort, but you should be back to normal within a week. You should be told about what was found before you go home.

Top |
arrowback.gif
Previous | Next
arrownext.gif

HI Ladies

Great thread - it's good to know u're not alone in coping with PCOS!

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE :-
Weight gain - YES!
Inability to lose weight - YES!
Insulin resistance - YES! (fat centred around my middle)
Infertility YES
Irregular periods NO (USED TO BE BEFORE CD!)
No periods NO (YES BEFORE CD!)
excessive facial hair LIGHT
excessive body hair MODERATE
Acne (facial and on the back) YES (CHIN)
Tiredness lethargy YES, ALL THE TIME! (BETTER SINCE LOSING SOME WEIGHT)
Extreme mood swings YES, NOT SO BAD SINCE CD
Male pattern baldness HAIR THINNING
Skin tags - YES!

Much love, to all chelle xx

Hi, Its so interesting to read everyones expereiences with PCO.

I have that too and hate it. It's been very hard to lose weight of recent years and many times I've thought of restarting cd but I never do. I HATE my mid section with the weight gain. I took agnus castus to regulate my periods and lost 4st on LL and got pregnant naturally with my 2nd DD. I've just restarted taking agnus castus but will be going back to my gp to ask for some help as I am producing too much testostergone..sp.

Good luck to everyone on their journey. It would be good if we could keep this post going to support each other?

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE :-
Weight gain - YES !!
Inability to lose weight - YES till I found out low-carb best (always did green days on SW - lol:rolleyes: )
Insulin resistance - think that's what the Metformin helped
Infertility - YES - though caught by fluke with No.1 son - Fertility treatment for No. 2 son and then on metformin and caught for No.1 (and last!!) Daughter!!
Irregular periods - YES
No periods - YES (went over 9 months once!!!)
excessive facial hair - not overly excessive but enough to have to be waxed!
excessive body hair - not really
Acne (facial and on the back) - NO
Tiredness lethargy - YES but think that was being 8 stone overweight too!!
Extreme mood swings - Yes, but think thats just me....lol!!
Male pattern baldness - NO!!
Skin tags - Yes quite a few - under arms, top of legs, back of neck

Guess I really do have PCOS - I kind of forget sometimes....!

I never kew about the skin tags. I have loads. Made an appointment to have some removed. Gonna take ages to get rid of them all. Good post. Thank you. :)

I have this complaint too. I hate it.

I have loads of skin tags. Haven't had a TOM for over a year now. I have a bit of faciial hair, even feels like whiskas coming out. Always plucking them out.

I also have a problem with the colour of my skin, I'ts very brown on each side of the face.

I hate it. It depresses me.

I cannot take any medication for it either because I am on too much already for other health issues.

Any advice on at least hiding the browning on my face would be appreciated.

Brilliant post. Thank you :)

I am doing the slimming world diet. Would you recommend the green day or original day?

I also have developed diabetis.

So glad I found this post. :)

Hi Wishfairies ,

If you suffer with pcos then red days are better for you as they are lower carb !

As for the skin discolouration you can get some skin bleaches but i would see your GP as you wouldnt want to hurt your skin .
I know this is a symptom of pcos and i had it myself on my neck and underarms but when i lost weight a few years ago it went away and never came back again although i did use skin bleach before my wedding and it was very effective Tatty Head xxx

Acanthosis nigricans is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin, usually present in the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the axilla, groin, umbilicus, and other areas.
Contents

[hide]
//
[edit] Causes

This occurs due to insulin spillover (from excessive production due to obesity or insulin insensitivity) into the skin which results in abnormal growth being observed.
The most common cause would be insulin resistance, usually from type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Other causes are familial, obesity, drug-induced, malignant (gastric cancer), idiopathic, and Polycystic ovary syndrome.

[edit] Signs and Tests

Physicians can usually diagnose acanthosis nigricans by simply looking at your skin. A skin biopsy may be needed in unusual cases. If no clear cause of acanthosis nigricans is obvious, it may be necessary to search for one. Blood tests, an endoscopy, or x-rays may be required to eliminate the possibility of diabetes or cancer as the cause.

[edit] Treatment

People with acanthosis nigricans should be screened for diabetes and,although rare, cancer. Controlling blood glucose levels through exercise and diet often improves symptoms.

[edit] Prognosis

Acanthosis nigricans often fades if the cause can be found and treated.

Back