Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Polycystic Ovaries and Xenical

Discussion in 'Orlistat (Xenical)' started by giraffegirl, 28 May 2009 Social URL.

1. giraffegirl

giraffegirl Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(24.71%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Does anyone else have this combination? I was diagnsed with PCOS in 1995 and hate everything about it. My two predominate hates are the weight - easy to go one and a million times harder to get rid of and the hairiness - I haven't posted a picture cos I look like a hairy biker ... ok that bit isn't true :eek:)
    Does anyone have any success stories about PCOS and Xenical? I'd love to hear your views. x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. 50guineadumpling

50guineadumpling Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0lb(16.8%)
    Diet:
    xenical
    Hi, This is my first post on this site. I am in the same boat as you. I was diagnosed as having PCOS about 6 years ago. I have gained loads of weight over time and have just started on Xenical yesterday. I asked Dr if the PCOS was the cause of the weight gain (hoping she would say yes and I would have something to blame except myself :eek:) she just said that she didn't think there was a link and the only way was to eat less and exercise.

4. SacredSilence

SacredSilence I

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.8%)
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating & Exercise
    Hi GG,

I also have PCOS along with an Underactive Thyroid *joy*

When I was first dx, I was given Metformin and I lost over a stone in 6 weeks. I was later dx with Cancer though, So in the back of my mind, I have never been sure if the WL was from the Metformin of the C :sigh:

I didn`t like being on it because it made me feel and act like I was drunk - Slurring my words etc though maybe it was because I was new to it. I wasn`t on it longer than 6 weeks because I fell pg ;)

I guess in that respect it really helped the PCOS as there is 10 yrs between my son and my little girl I fell pg with while on them.

I don`t know if you can take Metformin with Xenical?

We should meet up sometime if u would like to as we live so local :)

LiSe x

5. Stupid

Stupid I'm a greedy pig

Start Weight:
    8st7lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st2lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1.68%)
    Diet:
    help i can't stick to any as i am greedy
    sorry you have being ill ..i hope your better now

6. giraffegirl

giraffegirl Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st7lb(24.71%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Sorry for my absence ladies - my doc is coonvinced that the PCOS and my weight are related - he has studies my food diaries and is astounded that my weight goes up even though my food / fat intake doesn't and my excercise increases. he thinks that my mets and xenical will help me alothough it may only be mentally. i had bad problems with met when i first took it but they changed me to glucophage which was worse so i now spread my 4 tabs out thru the day so i get less effects with them. perhaps it is psychological - i don't know but if my weight decreases my symptoms seem to improve x

7. syanna

syanna Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st8lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I too have pcos and when we were going through ivf i was on Met. It gave me a constant headache and sicky feeling. I didnt loose any weight taking it either. That was 2 years ago now and when i went back to the docs to see about a 3rd and final ivf attempt i knew the additional weight would have to come off. My doctor never mentioned the metformin but did mention Xenical / orlistat and said that i would have to loose 7lb my self before they would be prescribed. So thats what i am trying to do. My doctor knows that loosing the weight with pcos is so much harder but says that they cant prescribe xenical without seeing that i am willing to loose some weight my self.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.