Porgeous to Gorgeous Diet Diary

Porgeous

Chilling
Well I've decided to have a go at keeping a diary. I thought it would be a good way to track my thoughts and feelings along with, hopefully, my progress! It also will have the added benefit of keeping my hand and mind busy during the long evenings which I find the most difficult time.

Anyway where to start..... bit of background. I am 37 years of age and currently 14st. When I was younger (early 20s) I never really struggled with my weight I was alway a healthy 8.5/9 stone and never really thought about what I ate. I married at 22 and all that changed, called it contentment, greediness or just a change in my body but since then I have battled.

I got to a stage in my thirties where I tried to convince myself that this was just the way I was meant to be and that it was more important to be happy and eating than miserable and dieting. My husband has always loved me for what I am and supports me in whatever I do - for that I am grateful. However, sometimes this support can just give us the excuses we need to remain overweight which is what I did. I even applied to How to Look Good Naked recently in a bid to convince myself that I could be happy the way I was but I am only kidding myself.

Increasingly over the last few months my weight has really been getting me down. It always gets worse in the summer as deep down inside there is a really feminine girl trying to get out and the site of everyone in pretty summer dresses always gets me down. So after a big of investigation I decided to try CD. Originally looked at LL but it was considerably more expensive and I didn't like the idea of the old group psycology.

Met my CDC on Monday night and started on Tuesday. Not sure why but I have kind of made an unconscious decision to be quite open and tell people what I am doing. Quite perversely I think it puts more pressure on me as I wouldn't want to admit that I had failed after convincing them that it is a good and safe diet to follow!!! I share an office with someone and they have been really great, getting to work a bit earlier so they can eat their breakfast before I get in (how sweet is that!) and my husband has tried to get home before me to do the same.

Days 1-4
Hard to explain really.. I think the hardest part for me has been the psychological side of things. I haven't actually felt too bad, apart from a splitting headache on Day 1. I during the afternoon and late evenings I get an unsettled feeling, a feeling of being slightly on edge and my mind wanders. After analysing it I think it stems from a desire to do really well and a hope that this will work for me with an underlying worry that sooner or later it will go wrong (as all previous attempts at dieting). Not sure if I am explaining it properly but it is almost like wanting something so badly you are so scared that you will blow it! I entered Ketosis on Day 3 which was a great feeling because now I know I am burning away all that horrible fat. I am hoping that once I get more into the swing of things my confidence will grow and I will stop doubting myself so much. I have also decided to try and come up with some ideas of things to do when I am feeling weak to keep me on the straight and narrow, so far I have:

Put some of my worst fat pictures on the fridge
Stand naked in front of the mirror
Put inspirational pictures of dresses I would love to own on display

One other method I have been trying is from Paul McKenna... imaginging yourself standing in front of you thin, stepping into that body and feeling how it feels ... ITS GREAT!

I do have the concern looming that I have four days in Barcelona with my husband for his 40th at end September and week in Gozo in October. I am planning on sticking with the shakes and introducing chicken or fish for one meal in the evening. Whilst hubby is very supportive he draws the line at sitting in a restaurant with me on holiday whilst I drink water and watch him eat. I am hoping this won't do too much damage and hopefully by then I will have shifted a bit of weight to inspire me to keep going on my return. One step at a time aye.

Well here we are Day 5. Feeling really positive, must admit to having sneaky peaks at the scales which I know I shouldn't but it is keeping my going through week 1. Can't wait until WI on Monday night and to have this first 7 days behind me. Reading all the posts on Minimins has really kept me going and other peoples weight loss stories are truly inspirational .... think I may be addicted it's such a great way to pass the time during the evening.

Anyway will sign off for now. Good luck to anyone who is on the journey or just starting out and remember if at first you don't succeed try try again.

Started Tuesday 4th August at 14st

Week 1 ?

A great start to your diary Porgeous. You will be gorgeous before you know it!

Evenings are the hardest time for me too. I often go for a long soak in the bath to distract myself and it usually works.

Dont worry about your trip away. Its a long way off yet and you'll perhaps be 2 stone lighter by the end of sept. I just had 4 days away and did 790 plan. I knew that if I planned to do 790 I would stick to it, where as if I just went away and ended up eating I would come off the rails. I managed to lose 4lb this week as well so the eating didnt affect me at all.

Ive got my fingers crossed for your first weigh in. Dont drink anything for at least an hour before weigh in as 1litre of water weighs over 2lb!! Cant wait to hear the results.

Morning Porgeous,

It sounds like you have had a good start to week 1.

Have you taken any before photos or measured? I took three photos when I started (front back and side view) and have taken regular photos throughout the diet to keep a track of my progress - whenever I have a rubbish day and get tempted I get the photos out and remind myself of where I started, where I am trying to get to and how far I have come already. I hope that the before and after photos might also be a useful deterrent when I am at goal and tempted to binge - but we will see. I also measured myself at the start (all over, both upper arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, knees - I have heard others measure wrists neck calf's etc but I never thought of those :rolleyes:) and have kept track of that too. My friend and I started CD at the same time and she is totally phobic of mirrors, camera's and measuring tapes but now wishes that she had taken the plunge and photographed and measured her progress.

I wish you every success with your CD experience and will look forward to the week 1 WI result!!

Have a good weekend :p

Thanks WL8, I find it quite good therapy writing down how I feel but hopefully it's not too boring! It is really encouraging to know you did 790 and still lost weight. I was intending to do the same and figured if I can just manage not to put on during those holidays I would be happy. Good tip about the water, shame I have to have evening WIs but difficult when work gets in the way. I shall make sure I stop way before my WI!

Thanks again
Georgie
x

Hi, well done on starting your diary, will read with interest. I've read about several people coming back from holiday having lost weight so the diet does work even in those situations. Know what you mean about feeling unsettled at times. It lasted 3 weeks for me but I seem to be settling into it now. I think it's a lot to take in psychologically when we stop eating, it brought my overeating issues to the front of my mind! And for me I know I need to work these issues out if I want to keep the weight off afterwards. Good luck with your first weigh in.

Thanks Ruth and Splash for your lovely and encouraging comments.

Ruth - re the pictures. I actually got my hubby to take some of me when I submitted the application to How to Look Good Naked. You had to be in your underwear, front, back and sides. I have never been strong enough to look at them but dug them out this morning and am going to put them on the fridge. Hurts to see them but I think really good motivator! Never been much of one for measurements but did make the effort on Day 1 as so many people like yourself have found it helpful.

Splash it is so nice to hear I am not going mad with these unsettled feelings and you are so right that we need to face up to our issues with food to really make a success of it.

Good luck to you both on your journeys and thanks again for your comments.

Georgie x

Cor Blimey - pictures in your underwear - I am SO not that brave!!!!!!!

Days 5 & 6
Was dreading these two days as I had heard that lots of people found day 5 the worst and also they happened to fall on Saturday and Sunday. Somehow felt that sticking with it over the weekend would be more difficult without the distraction of work.

Day 5 was indeed a difficult day not totally due to CD - had an upset stomach in the morning and in the midst of running to the loo stubbed my toe. As you do I stood swearing and hopping about in excrutiating pain and finally looked at my foot expecting, as is usual, to see nothing other than my toes looking completely normal. However, I had managed to rip the nail of my little toe. Imagine if you will the scene of someone desperate to go to the loo, with a throbbing toe, dripping blood, hopping around - not quite the new svelt sexy image I had in mind. After making myself feel quite queasy I hobbled to the back door and called my husband, waving my foot around frantically and generally grizzling - he dutifully patched me up! Now the way I see it is that actually this was the most brilliant stroke of luck as it had the effect of completely taking my mind of food all day I was so preoccupied with my poorly throbbing toe so to every down there is an up. I am at this moment trying to plan which part of me to injure next!!

Day six passed fairly uneventfully and thankfully tummy had settled down.

Then we get to day seven WOO HOO weigh in day at last. Feeling excited and nervous, hoping for a big loss, preparing myself just in case its lower than I hope. Paranoid at water making my weight heavier I only did 2.5 litres before my 8pm weigh in which was a bit naughty but I figure its only once a week and I do 4ltrs on all other days. So the moment comes, I disrobe myself of everything heavy and for a brief moment wish that my little toe had actually dropped off as it could have been worth an extra pound, hold my breath and mount the scales. 9lbs - THRILLED, now totally in love with this diet.

Strangely when I got home I felt for the first time that maybe I might fail this diet as thoughts of food and temptation came into my head. I reasoned with myself that I hadn't had as much water or my last shake but I also felt that in some way having got to the end of the week and having done well there was a sense of relief a sort of "I've done it now I can eat something feeling".

I logged straight on to Minimins and posted my weight, within minutes congratulations were piling in from the lovely gang and I felt once again determined and confident. THANKS YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL.

An end to the ramblings of a mad woman, time for bed said Zebede BOING!

Thanks Splash! :D

Hi porgeous you have had a fantastic first week loss, thats brill, well done. Really enjoy reading your diary. As everyone has said here you will be goreous in no time at all on this diet. Well done:)

:wavey:Hi georgie, just read ur diary and just had to leave a little note, brilliant!!! sorry but couldnt help but have a bit of a chuckle over the whole loo/toe stubbing story just so reminded me of me i so would have been dancing round the room swearing & sobbing to my H2B!!:) keep up the good work huni and cant wait toread more of ur cd journey:)

Thanks Toothfairy and Saffron. I find it helps keep me focused on why I am doing this which hopefully will keep me on the straight and narrow, but if it gives others a laugh and isn't too boring that's great.

Cheers
Georgie
x

Feeling a bit low at the moment so this diary entry will be brief -TOTM!!

Well after a fabulous first weigh in I lost 9lbs and was thrilled.

Week 2 has been mixed, whilst I haven't actually felt close to cheating I have had a wandering mind and the little demon voices. I think I have now managed to convince myself that every food that I love is in fact deeply poisonous! To distract myself from these pesky things I have embarked on a mission to preserve myself for eternity by embalming myself in every available lotion and potion. This I have decided will have one or two possible effects....

1. It may actually work and make my skin subtle, beautiful and taut
2. I will be saggy but unbelieveably soft
3. I may taughten and tighten so much I actually disappear

To add to my new embalming ritual I have also developed a paranoia about hair loss so now also have a revised hair routine which involves deep conditioning treatments, snazzy shampoo bar from lush to invigorate the scalp and brushing my hair very delicately. This has led to the concern that my hair may be so shocked by this new caring approach that it may fall out anyway!!

So as of Day 13, I am smoother and softer than I have ever been.... just as an aside - I managed to get so paranoid about carbs I even asked my hubby whether he though I could absorb them through my skin with all the lovely cocoa butters I had been applying. Needless to say he looked at me like I had actually lost my mind. And to be honest that's saying something because he generally accepts that I am a little barking!

Why is it that people who are slim generally disapprove of CD and overweight people are fascinated by it?? I spend my life going between trying to explain and convince people it's not harmful and telling people how to find a counsellor! Hey ho.

This is probably TMI but I can't believe how enormously proud of I have been of my number 2's! As someone who generally suffers from a sluggish bowel I was anticipating the worst and had Fibre 89 from the beginning. I am constantly amazed everytime I go and am like a child running out to tell my long suffering hubby how pleased I am that I have just had a number 2.... I'll soon be sitting on the loo saying, finished!

Anyway, I said this would be a short entry and here I am rambling on. 2nd WI on Monday evening and not anticipating greatness what with the TOTM but am determined not to let it get my spirits down.

Hi P, just been reading ur diary...what u said about absorbing carbs through ur skin made me laugh because the other day (while I was cooking Hubby's dinner) I asked him did he think it was possible to absorb cal's through my nails, he asked me was i losing my marbles.lol.

Glad I'm not the only one Linda, thought I might actually be losing the plot!!

Georgie
x

Hi Porgeous

What a great diary:) I love the cocoa butter question:D Does cocoa butter effect ketosis:confused: Excellent:giggle:

Great loss for your first week too:) I had never lost weight properly before either, and I can remember when I started CD thinking, ok I'll give this a go, who knows, to my delight, I did it:) I haven't been the weight I am now since my early teens.

Posting your thoughts and emotions in a diary really does help to keep us on the road to success. Minimins has been a godsend to me, I'm not sure how i would have coped without it.

Wishing you all the best, and can't wait for the next installment;)

Tracey
x

Thanks Minilady and Splash! You're support means alot to me.

Georgie
x

Hi Georgie,

Just wanted to say how I'm enjoying your diary, and to wish you well for your Monday weigh in!

You're inspiring and amusing at the same time - I'm only on Day 3 and reading this is certainly helping to keep me out of the kitchen, that's for sure!

Back