Possible newbie

WelshJojo

Gold Member
Hi all, I'm Jo and I've been lurking round the s&s sub forum for a few days now, after reading a few diaries and hearing how similar some of our stories are. Im the typical 'tried lots of diets' type person, but as someone on here said-there is often a greater issue with food, that will need to be addressed properly. Have been listening to Pauline quirke's audio book and have been inspired. I know slimming world works, but I still think I need more drastic action. I have never tried a VLCD, but having listened to her book, and read a lot of threads and diaries on here, I'm very tempted.
Have just got a few questions, I've tried looking on the s&s website, and on the FAQ on here but can't find anything:
What is the situation re exercise, someone mentioned to me that you're not meant to exercise, but I really enjoy my running/jogging and would like to keep doing it;
What is the time frame you are allowed to do it for? I mean could I do it for say 3 months, and then introduce food back properly and then continue on another plan?
As I said just throwing a few ideas about at the moment, so any help would be gratefully received. Thanks all xxx

Hello hun :) firstly s&s is a great vlcd to do! So much choice. As for the exercise I do not do any as of yet but people do exercise and are fine aslong as you don't go overboard as we can't forget we aren't eating 'normal' food but I'm sure someone will tell u more about that. As for the 3 months yep u can do that. S&s recommend u take a break after 12 weeks anyway, I wont be but everyone is different. Hope that helps :D s&s would be a great kick start for slimming world xx

stef2009 said:
Hello hun :) firstly s&s is a great vlcd to do! So much choice. As for the exercise I do not do any as of yet but people do exercise and are fine aslong as you don't go overboard as we can't forget we aren't eating 'normal' food but I'm sure someone will tell u more about that. As for the 3 months yep u can do that. S&s recommend u take a break after 12 weeks anyway, I wont be but everyone is different. Hope that helps :D s&s would be a great kick start for slimming world xx

That's what I'm hoping Stef :) I could do with losing about 9/10 stone altogether-have lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks on sw, but that was only cos I'd been eating Rubbish, and then rejoined 3 weeks ago! If I could lose 2/3 stones on this plan it would hopefully give me the boost I need to get there! Also it will help me financially as I'm spending not far of £10 a day on food and drinks in work, cos I work long shifts and we get such useless breaks that it easier to just pop down to the canteen! I really need serious help with it, and hoping this might be the way forward!! :) x

I know what you mean hun, I've tried lots of diets and then found s&s, I originally was only doing it for a month to lose a stone and kick start me off but here I am nrly 8 weeks later and loving it! I need to lose 6 stone in total and have lost 3 since January so I'm sticking to s&s now for another 2 stone then losing the last one on my own :)
Wow!!! £10 a day that's a lot!! S&s is cheap compared to other vlcd average £100 per month, I think you should get some testers and give it a go of you like them, ive gone from a size 20/22 to a size 14/16, its the best thing I've ever done starting :) xx

Hi Jo, yes as Steph says it's fine to do it for 3 months and it will be great kick start for you. You may find though, like Steph, that the losses become a little addictive and you may wish to stay on it a bit longer. Once you get used to the routine of the packs it's really easy. With all choice is removed the weight just falls off.

Exercise wise I would recommend that you stop all majpr forms of exercise for the first couple of weeks to allow your body to get used to the new regime. Then you can build back up slowly to a point whee you are comfortable. A VLCD is very low calories and also low carb so that can affect your ability to do rigorous exercise.

I started off at the end of July with over 9 stone to lose and have been doing a VLCD all the way through. I have now lost over 8 stone. NICE recommend that you only stay on a VLCD for 12 weeks at a time. However, at the end of that time you can take a break for a week or two and then get back on it again.

weasey said:
Exercise wise I would recommend that you stop all majpr forms of exercise for the first couple of weeks to allow your body to get used to the new regime. Then you can build back up slowly to a point whee you are comfortable. A VLCD is very low calories and also low carb so that can affect your ability to do rigorous exercise.

I started off at the end of July with over 9 stone to lose and have been doing a VLCD all the way through. I have now lost over 8 stone. NICE recommend that you only stay on a VLCD for 12 weeks at a time. However, at the end of that time you can take a break for a week or two and then get back on it again.

Thanks Weasey
What is NICE? And how do you 'take a break' from it? Do you just gradually reintroduce yourself to food? Or follow a specific regime.
Also, any tips for combatting bad breath during ketosis? And how long does it last? Only cos I wanna get started ASAP, but have a very important job interview in 3 weeks, and don't think the bad breath thing would stand me in good stead lol xx

Welshtigger said:
Thanks Weasey
What is NICE? And how do you 'take a break' from it? Do you just gradually reintroduce yourself to food? Or follow a specific regime.
Also, any tips for combatting bad breath during ketosis? And how long does it last? Only cos I wanna get started ASAP, but have a very important job interview in 3 weeks, and don't think the bad breath thing would stand me in good stead lol xx

NICE is the National Institute for Clincal Excellence - it's the body which specifies what medicine can be perscribed in the UK and such like. Taking a break means different things to different people. For me (as I do lighterlife as well as SnS) it means drinking extra milk for a week to take my calories to 1000 a day but carrying on having my packs - then continuing as before. On SnS they recommend having a couple pf weeks where you come off the packs. So you might choose to eat low carb so as to keep in ketosis or you might eat as you did before and then get back into ketosis at the end.

Not everyone gets bad breath - it's more likely of you don't drink enough water as it is caused by ketones leaving your body - extra water gives them another route out! Also, you can buy sugar free breath freshener spray which you can use before your interview if you're worried.

weasey said:
NICE is the National Institute for Clincal Excellence - it's the body which specifies what medicine can be perscribed in the UK and such like. Taking a break means different things to different people. For me (as I do lighterlife as well as SnS) it means drinking extra milk for a week to take my calories to 1000 a day but carrying on having my packs - then continuing as before. On SnS they recommend having a couple pf weeks where you come off the packs. So you might choose to eat low carb so as to keep in ketosis or you might eat as you did before and then get back into ketosis at the end.

Not everyone gets bad breath - it's more likely of you don't drink enough water as it is caused by ketones leaving your body - extra water gives them another route out! Also, you can buy sugar free breath freshener spray which you can use before your interview if you're worried.

Thanks so much! I drink a lot of water anyway. I'm very excited at the prospect of trying something new :)

Welshtigger said:
Thanks so much! I drink a lot of water anyway. I'm very excited at the prospect of trying something new :)

That's good because the more you drink the more you tend to lose on a VLCD. Although obviously you shouldn't drink lots all at once as that can be dangerous.

Another thing I've read about is the 'Cashback plan' how do you go about finding out more-does it get arranged thru the slim and save site, or do you have to be selected to do it? I can't find any info anywhere. Thanks :) xx

Hi welsh tigger
Yes they do do the "cash back " it's on the site under FAQ
Basically what you do is contact head office via the email say you want to do the cash back deal and they will ask you to submit a picture ( I sent a full length front and side view - not a pretty sight I must say!!! ) and also you need to provide a bit of a background story about your weightloss and your goal weight. Then when you get to goal you have to submit pictures again and a bit of blurb about how you are now you have lost weight etc and then they will use it for publicity i think and then they say they will send you a cheque in the post covering the money you have spent on the products.
I don't know anyone who has got to goal yet and done it but I've only been on it for 5 days but have submitted pics and story and now just losing lbs and will have a big fat cheque for £900 when I get to goal !!!
Hth
Xxx

Jessica Rabbit72 said:
Hi welsh tigger
Yes they do do the "cash back " it's on the site under FAQ
Basically what you do is contact head office via the email say you want to do the cash back deal and they will ask you to submit a picture ( I sent a full length front and side view - not a pretty sight I must say!!! ) and also you need to provide a bit of a background story about your weightloss and your goal weight. Then when you get to goal you have to submit pictures again and a bit of blurb about how you are now you have lost weight etc and then they will use it for publicity i think and then they say they will send you a cheque in the post covering the money you have spent on the products.
I don't know anyone who has got to goal yet and done it but I've only been on it for 5 days but have submitted pics and story and now just losing lbs and will have a big fat cheque for £900 when I get to goal !!!
Hth
Xxx

Oh right-that sounds like a bit of a no brainer to be honest!! I've got a hideous before photo that I'm Severely ashamed of, so might send that. Did you email them about it first, and then send the pics? Sorry for all the questions x

hey dont be silly - if you dont ask then you dont know!
I spoke to a lady on the phone in customer services and she said just go on the contact us bit and and send the info on a request email with your back story and attach any pics to the same email and then Rob usually gets back to you saying that the pics are fine or not.

Whereabouts in North wales are you ? Im in north Wales and we have got about the same amount of weight to lose cant wait tioll you are on the plan next week.

My before pics are pretty grim but I have done a vlcd twice before and lost 4 st so i know that the after pics are such an improvement!!!!

I have to say though even though I am only a week in this is the best one I have done out of LL and CD for two reasons first one being most I lost on the other 2 was 7lbs in 2 weeks and I have lost 9.5 in 6 days so far and secondly you can 'eat' 4 times a day and can have food where you can chew and still have the great weight loss which believe me when you are 8, 10, 16 weeks in just having 3 shakes a day the temptation to eat is phenomenal and the urge to chew something is always there so I have to say all in all this ones a winner all round with the added bonus of cash back - as you say no brainer really!!!

I will stop rabbiting now LOL!
xxx

Jessica Rabbit72 said:
hey dont be silly - if you dont ask then you dont know!
I spoke to a lady on the phone in customer services and she said just go on the contact us bit and and send the info on a request email with your back story and attach any pics to the same email and then Rob usually gets back to you saying that the pics are fine or not.

Whereabouts in North wales are you ? Im in north Wales and we have got about the same amount of weight to lose cant wait tioll you are on the plan next week.

My before pics are pretty grim but I have done a vlcd twice before and lost 4 st so i know that the after pics are such an improvement!!!!

I have to say though even though I am only a week in this is the best one I have done out of LL and CD for two reasons first one being most I lost on the other 2 was 7lbs in 2 weeks and I have lost 9.5 in 6 days so far and secondly you can 'eat' 4 times a day and can have food where you can chew and still have the great weight loss which believe me when you are 8, 10, 16 weeks in just having 3 shakes a day the temptation to eat is phenomenal and the urge to chew something is always there so I have to say all in all this ones a winner all round with the added bonus of cash back - as you say no brainer really!!!

I will stop rabbiting now LOL!
xxx

I'm in Llandudno :) xx what about you? xx

Last edited:
Jessica Rabbit72 said:
ooh by the sea how nice im quite far away from you I'm in Wrexham on the border!
x

It's not that far! I was there the other day. A very good friend works/lives there :) xx

And sugar free red bull has citric acid in it and there's no way of telling how much :( I guess I'm gonna have to try putting coffee in my shakes if I need to :(

Wisney said:
And sugar free red bull has citric acid in it and there's no way of telling how much :( I guess I'm gonna have to try putting coffee in my shakes if I need to :(

:confused: where has anyone mentioned red bull in my thread???? I don't think this was meant to be here? No? :confused:

Yes think it may be in wrong one. No I suppose Llandudno not that far maybe we could organise a welsh meet once we all get to goal xxx

Back