Pre-Slimming World and now..

Princess_Stevie

Gold Member
I guess I'm just being nosey really, but I was wondering what did you eat a lot of before SW, and what have you swapped it for now that you're following the plan? Or, maybe you still eat it and incorporate it into your Syns?

For me it's crisps. I could easily munch my way through 4 or 5 packets a day before SW. Now I rarely have a 'normal' packet of crisps. The average pack of Walkers' crisps are 9.5 Syns :eek: Now when I fancy some crisps I pick up a packet of Velvet Crunch, and more recently Ryvita Mini's :drool: They really satisfy my cravings, and just 4 Syns!

What's the biggest change you've made?

Lots of crisps, whole multipacks and large bags of thai chilli sensations used to disappear just like magic.

Bread was a downfall for me too, I used to bake fresh sourdough bread every 2 days for everyone's lunches and I would far more than my fair share.

I started restricting my bread when I joined SW, then came to realise that I was gluten intolerant. It was only when I was aware of what I was eating in a food diary that I could see what effect the food was havign on me. So, I've cut bread out completely now and feel so much better for it :)

I'm only in my second week but I just ate a LOT! Frequently picking at things, everything and anything, throughout the day. I've been concentrating on filling up at meal times and have rarely felt hungry.

If I had to say one particular food it would be chocolate. I could easily eat several full size bars in a day. Instead of cutting it out I've been having a small bar (dairy milk or curly wurly) in the evenings.

I too can make a bag of sensations disappear far too quickly! Prawn cocktail pringles, butterkist toffee popcorn and chocolate are my demons also, just junk food in general! It's not due to being hungry it's purely the want for the taste :-( Can I ask what velvet crunch are? X

Oh and now I always have cravings for hearty meals like shepherds pie and chilli con carni! Which is great as I can make them syn free :) x

Lucozade and coca cola. I'd easily drink a couple of cans of coke and a bottle of lucozade a day (if not more) I went cold turkey when I joined SW and had a headache for 2 weeks. Lots of chocolate and biscuits, 3/4 slices of white toast with butter for breakfast with a mug of Full fat milk :eek: Also drank milk with my meals sometimes :confused: lol

Deep fried chips. I threw out our deep fat fryer on my first week on SW. The whole family is much healthier now.

When I think back at what I used to eat... :eek: My diet was shocking! Also used to drink lots of wine - then snack on a stack of cream crackers. eeeeep.

I tend to eat the same meals, but Im more aware of how I cook them i.e if I was doing a stir fry I would use olive oil & now I use frylight......cut the fat off the bacon.....have low syn sausages.....eat SW chips instead of oven chips.....limit my chocolate intake & have no biscuits or cakes...more importantly I have 3 meals a day now!!! I have always eaten a lot of fruit & veg, so no dramas trying to incorporate those into my day....goodness me the list could be endless!!!

I too can make a bag of sensations disappear far too quickly! Prawn cocktail pringles, butterkist toffee popcorn and chocolate are my demons also, just junk food in general! It's not due to being hungry it's purely the want for the taste :-( Can I ask what velvet crunch are? X

Yeah, sensations are amazingly nice :drool: Velvet Crunch come in a sweet chilli flavour too, so you might like them! They're kind of like a little popodom, but with more of a 'Quavers' texture. I'm probably not doing them any justice at all lol, but they're really really nice, and I'd reccommend them as an alternative to crisps. They come in sweet chilli or cheddar cheese & spring onion flavour, and even better than that..they're only 4 syns per bag! :) xx

for me it was crisps, pasties and pies, i adore pastry so thats getting a lot of getting used to again, this is my 2nd SW journey but Im determined to not let all my hard work go to waste again

for me it was crisps, pasties and pies, i adore pastry so thats getting a lot of getting used to again, this is my 2nd SW journey but Im determined to not let all my hard work go to waste again

God, I know the feeling with this one!! I have a saturday job in a bakers and it can be soooo hard resisting the fresh pasties and pies coming out of the oven :drool:

I'm sure this journey will be your 2nd and your last :) Stick with it and you'll be at your target in no time.

Lots of takeaways and eating out, the mad thing is I love cooking and I'm really enjoying feeding me my family healthily again :)

I would eat a lot of anything I fancied!
I'm terrible for emotional eating.
Chocolate, cake, pastry, cheese, oh and wine!
My portion sizing can be shockingly bad also!

super duper thick doorstop bread is the main one for me! Ive been doing SW for so long now, its just something i have as a one off treat nowadays.

x

Crusty white bread with real butter - banned!
Pasties - banned!
Crisps - family sized not individual - swapped for Ww crisps or velvet crunch
KFC - Several times a week - replaced with slimming world version of KFC - amazing!!!!!

Mainly all savoury things - hence syns for me are usually savoury too

TAKEAWAY, particularly chinese, and usually sweet n sour chicken balls, lol. Also indian, burger king, pizza hut, dominoes, the list is endless. I actually believe I had a takeaway addiction, and I used to struggle so much with it, I would have it about 5 times a week, and sometimes I would have a home cooked dinner and then at about 10pm my cravings would get the better of me and I would have to have a chinese as well.

I could say no to anything else, alcohol, chocolate crisps but I couldn't resist takeaway, it was my ultimate comfort food, this is always what scuppered my weight loss attempts, but since discovering that Im pregnant a week and a half ago, it has given me the motivation to stop, I am so desperate not to develop gestational diabetes again. So far so good, just hope I can keep it up lol.

Been a real change for me over the last 3 weeks.

I was eating my 5 a day, and have been for a while, but it was what i used to stuff in with the 5 a day that was the problem.

Doritos (the big bags) walkers sensations, uncut white farmhouse bread, kids sweets and biscuits, fizzy sweetened drinks, finishing off the kids meals - then having my own ..... I could go on.

Mine was bread definately.
I used to grab a prepacked sandwhich and eat it on the way to work.
Then lunch was also a sandwhich with crisps chocolate and full fat coke and dinner was something very starcy like pasta bake with creamy sausages and garlic bread.. so yet again more bread.
Now even though i knew i was wheat intolerant, that did not stop me one bit. No wonder I always had an upset tummy! Eeek!
Nowdays a typical breakfast would be ryvita with laughing cow light on top (hex a and b), lunches would be pasta, couscous salad type thing or soup, or jacket potato and dinners would be SW cottage pies, chilli etc etc.
I feel so much healthier and my skin is starting to really clear up too which is fab.
Now im weaning myself of diet fizzy drinks. i drink a lot of them and i know they cant be good for you at that level of consumption, so today, i have started to drink at least 1-1.5 litres of plain water and then use NAS squash as a 'treat'.
So far i have drunk 1.5 litres of water plain (with a slice of lemon in) and so i may move onto the squash soon.
sorry for the essay there!

Mine was cake chocolate biscuits takeaways more chocolate pmsl rarely have any of those now

My breakfasts haven't changed at all from my pre SW days, as I love Weetabix, bran flakes and other 'healthy' cereals. I have drunk skimmed milk for years, and have always loved low fat cottage cheese, lots of jacket spuds and vegetables. However, I always used to get through at least 4 bars of chocolate a day, if not more, and I would have lovely thick white bread sarnies at lunch time, always with a bag of crisps. Dinner would usually be reasonably healthy, but there were always quite a few high fat takeaways as well.
Although I do miss some of the foods I used to eat- like white bread- I feel liberated now that I'm no longer a slave to an unhealthy diet!

Back