Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I did these for my mum! And i will put my scan picture on a mothers day card for my mum and mil!

Attachments

• image-3647772240.jpg
    image-3647772240.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 49
I swear by my Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine which is fantastic. Obviously if you breast feed you wouldn't need one but if not then it's brilliant. So much better than having to boil the kettle to heat a bottle.

Also, a video monitor rather than just a sound one. My little boy is 10 weeks old and we've just started putting him to bed in our bedroom at about 8ish so we get a few hours together downstairs but I would never have done that if I couldn't see he was ok.

Lots of muslin cloths, you will use them for all sorts. And next time I won't buy half as many clothes as you get loads bought, plus I don't put Cole in 'outfits' unless we go out somewhere. If we're just around the house I have him in sleep suits as they're comfier for him.

I agree with Sarah...the Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine is a lifesaver if you're planning to formula feed/end up formula feeding xx

Re bottles......be prepared to buy new bottles if your little one ends up with colic! I started off with normal Tommee Tippee bottles and ended up having to buy new Dr Brown (anti colic) bottles xx

Hello ladies, just popped over from the pregnancy and SW thread to have a nose and this thread is fab! So much help and advice! I'm now 30+3 :eek: and need to get my hospital bag sorted but I really don't know where to begin? In terms of the bag, how big? Cheap or expensive? Did any of you use it for anything else? I've decided I'm bottle feeding so need to look at which bottles and formula to get- I've decided on Aptimil for formula but how much do I buy to start with? I know my Mum has said to not bulk buy to start with in case baby reacts badly to it and needs a different brand. Did you any of you do this? Bottles - I'm thinking Tommee Tippee as Tesco have got a very good range and a newborn starter kit for £30 which has bottles, teats, etc. Nappies - my Mum gave me the same advice as formula, not to bulk buy in case baby's skin is sensitive to certain brands. So far I've brought a pack of Waitrose newborn, and I'm planning to buy Pampers and Tesco. Keep hearing bad things about Huggies, like they leak, etc. Anyone got any experience with them? I can't believe I have just under 10 weeks until due date, it's rather scary!!! Re: maternity clothes, I have found New Look to be fantastic- they had a sale on recently and I brought a ton of tshirts for £3 each!! I have 3 pairs of maternity jeans (Peacocks, H&M and New Look) and I live in them! Peacocks are also good for maternity clothes- I don't have a Primark here but must get to one soon as I know how cheap their stuff is! I've been meaning to start a new diary on here but just haven't got round to it (I'm usually working or falling asleep lol) but I shall do it soon! I love reading your diaries and all the cute pics of your babies, it's making me want my little one here ASAP! X

Glad you're enjoying the thread - I find it invaluable! So much good advice here :)

Bag - I borrowed a small suitcase from my mum, like the kind of size you'd take on a weekend break. That fitted most things and I also filled a changing bag with stuff for Seth. Don't think it's worth buying anything especially unless you have to.

Bottles and milk - we use mam anti-colic bottles and love them! They come completely apart so are easy to clean and can also be sterilised individually in a microwave with no other equipment needed - it only takes 3 mins for one bottle and is very handy. I mainly bf but when we do use formula we use aptamil. Was the first one we bought and Seth is fine with it so never needed to change.

Nappies - we've tried tonnes! Naty biodegradable gave Seth a horrible rash, Sainsburys leaked a lot and Pampers are good but v pricy. I have heard Aldi nappies are fab but haven't tried them yet. At the moment we are using Boots nappies and we love them, they gave the yellow line like Pampers that turns blue when the nappy is wet and we've only had one leak so far which tbh was from a poo so big that I don't think any nappy would have coped lol ;) Wilkos nappies are surprisingly good too! Definitely good to try different brands - plus they all fit differently too so some will fit your bubs better than others. I find Pampers are huge on Seth, he's a skinny little thing and they are loose around his legs. Whereas the Boots nappies seem to fit tighter. I have heard that Huggies are rubbish from a few people but nowhere seems to sell them now, I'm not even sure if they are still made? Huggies pure wipes are good though but you won't need them when baby is tiny as it's cotton wool and water to start with. x

Thanks Missy that helps loads especially the breast pump part as I've been looking on amazon and some do look expensive especially when I might not even be able to breast feed but will have a proper look at them now you've said that! I can't wait to tell them! Just trying to think of the nicest way to tell them, they'll be so happy! Thinking a card to nan and to great nan from bump? Also OH's dad's birthday on the same day! I'm so excited just hope everything is ok, but I've told OH that if it's not ok then I want my family to know and be there for us so no reason to keep it a secret either way is how I see it! Thanks again all of you! Kelly x x Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Aw, a card from bump sounds like a lovely idea! That's exactly what we said - we wanted our family to know either way but we mostly kept it quiet from everyone else ;) I say mostly as I have a big gob lol!

The good thing with a breast pump is that you should be able to sell it on later if you don't end up using it - stuff like that really holds it's value. The Medela swing is the one I was recommends but we couldn't afford it. I have the Medela harmony hand pump which is ok but electric really would be better and quicker!

Forgot to mention re: baby monitors, we have the angelcare monitor and love it. Easy to use and no false alarms yet. It really gives me the peace of mind to sleep when Seth does! Once Seth's bigger we'll stop using the sensor mat and just use the audio bit but we didn't want a video monitor so that doesn't bother us too much :) xxx

Last edited:
How long has everyone used cotton wool and water for? X

Re bottles......be prepared to buy new bottles if your little one ends up with colic! I started off with normal Tommee Tippee bottles and ended up having to buy new Dr Brown (anti colic) bottles xx

I know quite a few people who had to do just that so we went for anti colic bottles from the start. Luckily he's colic free but best to be prepared. xxx

How long has everyone used cotton wool and water for? X

I used it for the first couple of months, although we were naughty and used water wipes for night time changes and out and about from very early on! Then we went to Huggies wipes and we've had no problems with them at all :) x

I used it for the first couple of months, although we were naughty and used water wipes for night time changes and out and about from very early on! Then we went to Huggies wipes and we've had no problems with them at all :) x

Thanks, think we'll stick with it a bit longer although wipes do occasionally sneak in! Same for us sometimes at night and when out and about :p

I'll be honest, I've used wipes since he was about 3-4 weeks old. I still use cotton wool and water if he's had a really bad poo to make sure he's fully clean but we use Huggies wipes and I can't fault them. Won't use Johnson's as they make my skin feel tight and like it's burning so don't want to take the risk with Cole. X

I've been using extra sensitive wipes for the last few days (my MW said I could try them to see how I got on) and she's only 9 days old x no problems here :) x

Congrats Kelly! Agree with the others, loads of muslins, don't buy too many clothes, really road test your pram, personally I use a Milton cold water steriliser but that's cos we go away quite a bit and went camping when she was little and you can take it anywhere as long as you have access to clean cold water! I found the tommee tippee hand pump really good, takes a bit of getting used to but I like it.
Will return! Am being called by a tiny person...

I have pampers extra sensitive but ran out and had previously bought a few Johnson's packs which I've used some, think I'll buy huggies or pampers going forward as not heard anything good about Johnson's since.

Forgot about bag... I too used a weekend case n had a smaller bag for my labour bag
I had FAR too much stuff with me tho n cud have easily manages with a backpack!

Danni I don't plan on using wipes at all. Used pampers sensitive the other day on my face n my God it felt like acid on my face!!! Huggies are the same (for me)
Will keep some water wipes in her bag n a pack in the house for emergencies tho...
Saying that... Some things I had "planned" has gone out the window!! (Am using a soother for a start!!)

Forgot about bag... I too used a weekend case n had a smaller bag for my labour bag I had FAR too much stuff with me tho n cud have easily manages with a backpack! Danni I don't plan on using wipes at all. Used pampers sensitive the other day on my face n my God it felt like acid on my face!!! Huggies are the same (for me) Will keep some water wipes in her bag n a pack in the house for emergencies tho... Saying that... Some things I had "planned" has gone out the window!! (Am using a soother for a start!!)

I was the same weekend bag for me, changing bag packed with extra for baby.

I don't think we get water wipes here :-/ haven't seen them anywhere so will have to continue with wipes.

Haha I bought a soother thinking I won't use it, that went out the window for us too! X

Wow I leave minis for one day as pages to catch up on!!

Right....not essentials but 'waste of money' items

- outfits in 0-3. For starters people but then for you and then they are so fussy to put on sleep suits t best for days and nights (Stevie is 5 months and we still do this :) let them be babies I say!)

- bottle warmer - we got this for upstairs to use at night and the little man likes room temp bottles so it's never been used!!

- sensor pad with monitor. Our sensor pad went off 4 times in the first 7 days...it didn't work how I thought an it monitored changes in movement. So when he dropped into a deep sleep the alarm would wake us all up!!

- I personally wouldn't get a Moses basket. Stevie was too big for it within weeks and we soldiered on to try get our money's worth of it...unless someone is giving you one I would buy a crib as these are slightly bigger or even just a travel cot for yr bedroom. However is even go as far as to say if maybe put a 2nd baby in their own room from the start (bad advice I know)

- a cot attachment for yr push chair. I never used mine as preferred the car seat to be attached (£150 wasted there!!)

Things I'd def but again or alter:

Our house is on 3 floors so we have a travel cot with change section in our front room. He naps in here during the day and I can change him on it.

Play mat - he has used it loads but I bought a duff one and next time I'd get a colourful one!! (Ours was cream and beige but i attached extras now)

Electronic swing chair - he loves it and naps in it.

Blankets of various size. We didn't do this so was bringing him home covered in a blanket that was massive!!

If I think of anything else I'll let u know!!

Some good news for those who struggle with weight like me...

I had a depo injection tonight and the nurse weighed me. I explained I'd not been happy with my loss (think she confirmed 4 lbs in 3 months!!) and I said I used to be good at dieting but can't do it now

The nurse laughed!! She said 'of course u can't! U have a 5 month old baby to look after, yr a new mum and yr finding yr feet. Yr body is still repairing from the pregnancy. U are getting less sleep and doing more. You shouldn't push anything till Stevie is at least 9 months - a year old.

I'm not saying this is good advice cos a year is a long time, but it made me feel a ton better. I realised how much pressure I was putting on myself.

Hope this helps some others too!! Xxx

Girls... Dummies are life savers.

I wasn't keen on using them but bought some when pregnant anyway...well our little girl has been feeding constantly/not sleeping the last couple of days and a couple of people had said to try a dummy because it might be the comfort of sucking that she needs rather than the milk.

Well we put one in 20 mins ago and she's taken to it straight away and she's now fast asleep and totally content!!!

Win! :)

Wow thanks for all the advice ladies...

My mum has a small suitcase I can borrow so all I'll need to buy is a changing bag- any recommendations?

My good friend gave us a ton of baby stuff so we have a bottle steriliser and warmer (Tommee Tippee and in good condition) so it doesn't matter too much if we don't use the warmer as we didn't buy it!

Re: Moses basket- we've been given one by my Auntie that's a bit of a family heirloom but it's very old and we don't feel it's very safe so we have been considering buying a new one... A crib is bigger?
Any reccomendations?

Back