Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Thanks everyone for the advice :) twice this morning he's went down for a nap with minimal fuss! I hold him and wrap him so he can't move his arms, put his dummy in and play the waves white noise and he's off in 5 mins! Can then put him down no bother xx

Hi everyone,

I wrote on here last week about having some spotting, so just thought I'd give a quick update.

Went to doctors last Monday who referred me for a scan on Wednesday which ended with internal scan as normal ultrasound was picking up pregnancy sac but no yolk sac. Internal scan showed the same. Think they expected be able to see the yolk at this stage so ended up with bloods being taken and had to go back yesterday to have 2nd blood test to see if hcg levels had increased.

Not sure if anyone else has had levels checked but hcg was 17817 on Wednesday and 27048 on Friday. They would expect them to double within 48 hours or at least increase by 60% but mine only increased by 52% so they can't confirm what's happening.

Progesterone level was 42.3 which they said anything between 20 and 60 indicates a healthy pregnancy, so at least that one was ok!

Got to go for another scan on Wednesday next week, where they are hoping that the yolk sac will show on ultrasound otherwise it's either ectopic or miscarriage?

At first scan I had dates worked out at 6 weeks exactly but some previous cycles have been as long as 34 days so could possible have only been 5+3 so maybe too early for yolk sac?

Anyone else had issues with hcg levels?

Hate all this waiting, and yesterday I seem to have started with morning sickness! Just wish I knew what was going on!!

Hope everyone is well! x x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hi everyone,

I wrote on here last week about having some spotting, so just thought I'd give a quick update.

Went to doctors last Monday who referred me for a scan on Wednesday which ended with internal scan as normal ultrasound was picking up pregnancy sac but no yolk sac. Internal scan showed the same. Think they expected be able to see the yolk at this stage so ended up with bloods being taken and had to go back yesterday to have 2nd blood test to see if hcg levels had increased.

Not sure if anyone else has had levels checked but hcg was 17817 on Wednesday and 27048 on Friday. They would expect them to double within 48 hours or at least increase by 60% but mine only increased by 52% so they can't confirm what's happening.

Progesterone level was 42.3 which they said anything between 20 and 60 indicates a healthy pregnancy, so at least that one was ok!

Got to go for another scan on Wednesday next week, where they are hoping that the yolk sac will show on ultrasound otherwise it's either ectopic or miscarriage?

At first scan I had dates worked out at 6 weeks exactly but some previous cycles have been as long as 34 days so could possible have only been 5+3 so maybe too early for yolk sac?

Hate all this waiting, and yesterday I seem to have started with morning sickness! Just wish I knew what was going on!!

Hi hun. Thanks for updating us
Unfortunately I've no experience in this n no advice but just wanted to say I really hope it all works out the best for I n will keep my fingers n toes crossed for u xxxx

Hi hun. Thanks for updating us Unfortunately I've no experience in this n no advice but just wanted to say I really hope it all works out the best for I n will keep my fingers n toes crossed for u xxxx

I'm the same, can't really offer any advice as don't know anyone who's been through this but really hoping everything is ok when you go back to the hospital xx

Hi ladies... Quick question for bottle feeding mams...
Éabha has been falling asleep lately without finishing her 4oz bottle.. She's been finishing every bottle up to now.. I think she's getting tired/bored sucking through the Number 1 teat... Would you persevere n feed more regular or change to Number 2 teats?? She's only going to be 5 weeks on Monday (though I know they say from NB on them)
Trust me to have a Q on a weekend when I can't ring the PHN

Hi ladies... Quick question for bottle feeding mams... Éabha has been falling asleep lately without finishing her 4oz bottle.. She's been finishing every bottle up to now.. I think she's getting tired/bored sucking through the Number 1 teat... Would you persevere n feed more regular or change to Number 2 teats?? She's only going to be 5 weeks on Monday (though I know they say from NB on them) Trust me to have a Q on a weekend when I can't ring the PHN

Our HV told us to use number 2 test when he was about 2 weeks old because he is a lazy drinker so I'd say try it. Don't think it will harm her x

I've been using number two teats for weeks because Cole was the same. I think they get bored of sucking. I still use the number one teats for water so he only takes so much.

I've been using number two teats for weeks because Cole was the same. I think they get bored of sucking. I still use the number one teats for water so he only takes so much.
Water is another one I wonder about.. Is it OK to give it to Éabha??
I asked at the hospital and they said no.. But she was obviously only born then... How much water do you give Cole and how often?

Anyone else 2/3 months after giving birth started to experience headaches and dizziness/lightheadedness/fuzziness? Google says (I know, I know!!) That it can be due to hormones and lack of sleep. Because apparently even if we think we as new mums are getting enough sleep apparently we arent because we are so tuned in to our babies we are missing out on vital sleep cycles and we are therefore still 'sleep deprived' as we are not getting 'proper sleep'. Hmmmnnnnnn

I asked at the hospital and they said no.. But she was obviously only born then... How much water do you give Cole and how often?

I was told not to because then they are filling up on water rather than formula....

Its different if theyre ill....because nurse said the other day after joshys jabs that if he gets too hot to give him some cooled boiled water

Hi everyone,

hiya, when I had my miscarriages they didnt test my hcg/progesterone levels because each time I was far enough along to determine that I had definitely miscarried or there was no heartbeat

You may be too early in your pregnancy hun and your next scan may be better. I know that increasing hcg levels are a good thing.

The only thing that i believe saved my third baby was taking baby aspirin Xx

Water is another one I wonder about.. Is it OK to give it to Éabha?? I asked at the hospital and they said no.. But she was obviously only born then... How much water do you give Cole and how often?

I only give him an ounce or so. When he's had cold I don't want him to have to wait for his milk if he's got a sore throat. He gets 2oz a day max, usually around midday and a good hour or two before his next bottle is due. It hasn't affected how much milk he takes so far. Sometimes I think they do just need a bit of a drink of something different, but that's just my opinion. And as long as it doesn't affect their milk intake I personally can't see what it hurts.

Anyone else 2/3 months after giving birth started to experience headaches and dizziness/lightheadedness/fuzziness? Google says (I know, I know!!) That it can be due to hormones and lack of sleep. Because apparently even if we think we as new mums are getting enough sleep apparently we arent because we are so tuned in to our babies we are missing out on vital sleep cycles and we are therefore still 'sleep deprived' as we are not getting 'proper sleep'. Hmmmnnnnnn
I know I've had a headache for at least a week now.. Not a bad one and i'm putting it down to dehydration.. But am sure the lack of a full sleep hasn't helped it...

I was told not to because then they are filling up on water rather than formula....

Its different if theyre ill....because nurse said the other day after joshys jabs that if he gets too hot to give him some cooled boiled water
I was thinking of just an ounce or so a day to help her poo.. She only goes once every 2-3 days n I think she might have a little pain in her tummy (today.. not usually)
I know my Mam always used to give the baby's some cooled boiled water but I dunno if she did when they were this young so am worried...

I only give him an ounce or so. When he's had cold I don't want him to have to wait for his milk if he's got a sore throat. He gets 2oz a day max, usually around midday and a good hour or two before his next bottle is due. It hasn't affected how much milk he takes so far. Sometimes I think they do just need a bit of a drink of something different, but that's just my opinion. And as long as it doesn't affect their milk intake I personally can't see what it hurts.
Thank you hun xx

Have just popped a number 2 teat in the steriliser so will give her her next bottle with it n see how she goes.. Thanks ladies :)

Well, it's a bit of an awkward one... At the infant feeing update I went to a few weeks ago, a few people were saying the new guidance for ff babies is 1oz cooked boiled water a day, every day. But the woman who was doing the update said she hadnt heard that yet.
I would see how you go. If they get constipated, 1oz a day isn't going to do any damage and might help.
And I would go up to 2nd teat and see how she copes. You will soon know if she can't handle it
Xx

Hi everyone,

Hi hun, can't really offer much advice as I did gynae a long time ago and things may have changed but fingers crossed your dates are a little less than you thought and the next scan is better.
I do know of a few people who have attended in the past and found nothing much like you and then started feeling movements a few months down the line and hey presto there was a baby! So it does happen. Good luck and hugs xxx

What's everyone's views on weaning? I keep reading conflicting information. Some people say 17 weeks and to start them on baby rice/porridge etc and loads of the jars say from 4 months. But then other people say 6 months and to just purée 'normal' foods. I've also read about baby led weaning. I haven't got a clue what to do!!

What's everyone's views on weaning? I keep reading conflicting information. Some people say 17 weeks and to start them on baby rice/porridge etc and loads of the jars say from 4 months. But then other people say 6 months and to just purée 'normal' foods. I've also read about baby led weaning. I haven't got a clue what to do!!

HV told me 6 months and no earlier unless on medical advice and not to bother with jars apart from if you're out and about and need something quick. She mentioned avoiding anything with honey, salt or nuts in the first year but most foods are suitable for babies I think. Not too much sugar and no low fat dairy either. I'm reading up on baby led weaning at the mo and it sounds fab! I think we might try that...

The advice is to wait until they are 6months if possible in order to reduce the risk of their developing allergies. Their gut isn't closed until at least 17weeks. The indication is that they are needing more and more milk and starting to wake in the night if they are have previously slept through.
We started at 5 1/2 months as she was just feeding all the time and she started trying to snatch stuff from us. I got the Annabel Karmel book and found it really helpful. She hated baby rice so I just have her other stuff like carrots and butternut squash. I did the purée thing for a little while but over a few weeks made the purées thicker and a little lumpier, and then when she started to look like she was chewing gave her mashed stuff. You just sort of know when to!
I did research baby led weaning, and didn't feel 100% sure about doing it from scratch but she pretty much feeds herself all the time now with the exception of yoghurt and porridge (she now has proper porridge not ready brek as I didn't want to have to start buying different things for us all-she had the Ella's kitchen baby porridge first). She's very good at picking up small things like raisins and blueberries and loves pretty much everything.
I liked the Annabel Karmel book as it gives you suggestions as to what sort of times to feed them and quantities. Got it cheap off amazon secondhand.
I would say it's good fun but hard work making everything and you need to plan your day a lot more especially if you're going out, so the longer you can stick with milk the better! Aldi tend to have quite a lot of baby stuff like bowls, spoons and sippy cups (the advice is to get a free flowing cup not one with a valve). Xxx

I'm just gona cook myself. I don't eat processed, so wouldn't give it Eabha..
Am aiming for 6 months but will see how she goes...

Yea she's deg not ready for 2 teat... She's wearing must if the bottle!!! Lol

N she's filled her nappy... Twice!! So def not constipated

And she's turned into something possessed!!!
I dunno if she has a pain r just hasn't a blue what's happening to her n is going thru the development leap?? But I'm ready to run out n leave her!!! Of all weekends for J to work!!!!!!

Back