Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Hey ladies, just wondering if u bought many outfits in new born size, as in up to 10lb? Just been going through what I have bought and seem to have a lot of 0-3 months n then some 3-6 months but only a couple new born outfits. Rest are sleep suits xx

I didn't buy many and found that I needed them! Seth was 7lb 8oz at birth and 0-3 clothes swamped him. I had to send my mum to buy some newborn sleepsuits as we'd hardly bought anything in smaller than 0-3. He even fit in some tiny baby stuff which is crazy as I wouldn't consider 7.5lbs to be a tiny baby. Then again Seth is only just in 0-3 clothes now at 3 months lol.

But I'd definitely get a few bits and bobs in newborn just to be sure but keep the tags on so you can swap them if you end up with a bigger or smaller baby! xxx

I didn't buy many and found that I needed them! Seth was 7lb 8oz at birth and 0-3 clothes swamped him. I had to send my mum to buy some newborn sleepsuits as we'd hardly bought anything in smaller than 0-3. He even fit in some tiny baby stuff which is crazy as I wouldn't consider 7.5lbs to be a tiny baby. Then again Seth is only just in 0-3 clothes now at 3 months lol.

But I'd definitely get a few bits and bobs in newborn just to be sure but keep the tags on so you can swap them if you end up with a bigger or smaller baby! xxx
Yes Missy I was somewhere the other day looking at clothes and "Tiny Baby" was 7.5Lb?? That's so not a tiny baby!!! Would it have been Mothercare???

We had some newborn stuff but she wore them like once or twice and that was it! At 9lb4oz and over 52cm long they were just too tight. I did get some first size stuff from sainsburys which lasted longer though I was looking at it the other day and I can't believe she fitted into them with room to spare! My baby is getting too big!
So I would get a few bits but don't over do it. Same as if you're planning on more than one, I have started buying sleep suits in neutral colours so can reuse more easily in future. Not that said baby will be bothered either way! And neither am I when they are at home but it does make it awkward when out and about! I think she looks like a girl anyway but so many people think she looks like a boy! Maybe it's cos I don't dress her in baby pink....

Kerry Eabha is still in her NB stuff n is 5 weeks tomoro. She was quite small born (6 15) so had room in them but I'd def have some. Not allot as they won't last long but 10lb is quite a big baby. She's 8lb 2oz now n they're getting tight on her length wise but she's longer than "average" Otherwise they'd be perfect

New born as in up to 7.8lb? I will have to purchase some then. Keep thinking I will have a big baby lol xx

I didn't buy enough newborn, everything swamped Cole. But he weighed 7lb 12oz born so he wasn't the 'big baby' my consultant told us to expect. But my friend had a 9lb baby recently and he wasn't in newborn for very long. Plus it depends on their length too. We went shopping when Cole was about a week old and got him some new clothes in newborn. It also depends where you buy them from. Primark newborn are tiny, Asda are short in the leg (sleep suits) but Next are really good. I think just have a few bits ready and if you can go shopping once baby is born then you don't waste money x

Thanks Hun, I will stock up on some new born from next then xx

Thanks for all ur advice, really useful. I think cos I'm a big eater that I will have a big baby haha xx

Yea Kerry.. x

Susie.. I had Éabha out in a red coat with bow on and pink hat, in a dress n tights.. And was asked "how old is HE?" She had pink blankets on her pram but as I was in a queue in a busy bank i'd taken them off while we were in there so she was obviously a girl!!

Has anyone had dry flaky skin on their boobs? I have it on just one, to the side and under the nipple but not on the nipple. It's flaking a lot but not sure what's causing it! I'm expressing and wearing breast pads but thought if it's that it would affect both sides?!

Ooh not sure about that? I would have said maybe the breast pads (I find them really itchy!) but then surely it would be both sides as you say...

Yes Missy I was somewhere the other day looking at clothes and "Tiny Baby" was 7.5Lb?? That's so not a tiny baby!!! Would it have been Mothercare???

Yeah, mothercare stuff is huge. Seth still just about fits in mothercare new baby vests! He actually still fits in his tiny baby coat from Boots which is crackers as he was nearly 11lbs when he was last weighed! Then again Boots sizes seem to be massive too. I wish there were just standard baby sizes instead of all the shops being different...

Just spent 78£ on some new born things, 8 nice sleep suits, 5 white ones n 10 vests! never ending this spending lark is it x x

Yeah, mothercare stuff is huge. Seth still just about fits in mothercare new baby vests! He actually still fits in his tiny baby coat from Boots which is crackers as he was nearly 11lbs when he was last weighed! Then again Boots sizes seem to be massive too. I wish there were just standard baby sizes instead of all the shops being different...
Yea it'd make much more sense.. Its a pain in the a hole!!!
Just spent 78£ on some new born things, 8 nice sleep suits, 5 white ones n 10 vests! never ending this spending lark is it x x
OMG Kerry.. Where you shopping?! LoL

Has anyone had dry flaky skin on their boobs?
I have it on just one, to the side and under the nipple but not on the nipple. It's flaking a lot but not sure what's causing it!

I'm expressing and wearing breast pads but thought if it's that it would affect both sides?!

Yes I've had it. Don't know what it is but it comes and goes. Gets itchy as well sometimes. I just moisturise. What breast pads do you use? I have found lansinoh to be the best. No itchiness or problems and they are mega absorbent! X

Is this little one in baby Gucci? :) you're right it can add up xx

Nope just next. I have bought some bits before. Couldn't believe this little lot added up to this xx

Nope just next. I have bought some bits before. Couldn't believe this little lot added up to this xx

I got some sleep suits from next last week when we went to Wales - £29 for 5!! They're far better quality than Asda though so I use them if we go out and Asda for in the house x

I got some sleep suits from next last week when we went to Wales - £29 for 5!! They're far better quality than Asda though so I use them if we go out and Asda for in the house x

Yeh I have quite a few up to 10lb but like I say prob too big for straight away. These were 3 for 16£ xx

On the baby clothes subject, has anyone brought anything from John Lewis?
Just wondering what the sizing is like as we get 25% discount lol!
What about Tesco?
I've started buying quite a few bits from there as it's on my doorstep and the sizes look good, but until I have a little one to dress, it's hard to say.

And also how soon did you start dressing your little ones in 'proper' outfits (like dresses, etc)? As I've seen some some seriously lovely stuff by Ted Baker in his Baby Baker range and as my surname is Baker I really want to buy some! But it's rather expensive and I'm thinking it's not worth it until it's maybe a special occasion??

Yes I've had it. Don't know what it is but it comes and goes. Gets itchy as well sometimes. I just moisturise. What breast pads do you use? I have found lansinoh to be the best. No itchiness or problems and they are mega absorbent! X

Thanks x
I will moisturise more often. I can only find Johnson's or a random brand here, although been using washable material ones a lady makes locally so might not use these for a few days and see how it goes xx

On the baby clothes subject, has anyone brought anything from John Lewis? Just wondering what the sizing is like as we get 25% discount lol! What about Tesco? I've started buying quite a few bits from there as it's on my doorstep and the sizes look good, but until I have a little one to dress, it's hard to say. And also how soon did you start dressing your little ones in 'proper' outfits (like dresses, etc)? As I've seen some some seriously lovely stuff by Ted Baker in his Baby Baker range and as my surname is Baker I really want to buy some! But it's rather expensive and I'm thinking it's not worth it until it's maybe a special occasion??

I have a couple of bits from Tesco (MIL shops there and has picked us up a few bits) and the sizing seem better than Asda. Quality isn't bad either - the vests have been through the wash multiple times and are still coming up good every time!

With outfits, tbh Seth doesn't have anything posh or designer - you're changing clothes so often at this age with explosive nappies and spit ups that I'm not sure it's be worth it other than for very special occasions. I just have Seth in sleepsuits mostly, although I do put him in joggers and vests/tshirts quite a bit now too as layers are easier to manage for when we go out walking with the pram and I'm not sure what the weather's going to do. There's been a few occasions recently where the weather has changed and he's wound up under or overdressed so it's easier to be able to take off/put on a layer. Plus he's tall and sleepsuits can be a pain!

I love baby boys in dungarees though so I got him a nice outfit recently in the M&S sale but that's it...

Back