Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I had no intention either. Have you sorted out milk to take to hospital or do they provide you with it? I know someone was asking recently about it but not sure whether it was you or not? Also if you haven't already got one - Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine is the best thing ever!!!!x
I need to ask my MW about that, I'm gonna get some of those ready made bottles anyway as they'll come in handy for the first few days when we are adjusting to baby!
Got it! I wasn't going to but I've got all TT bottles and I had some vouchers to use for ToysRus and it was on offer anyway so I got it really cheap and I remember you saying how good it was!
All I've got left to buy is the formula now, going for Aptimal x

Just thought I'd share:

baby Baker's 34 weeks selfie:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 59
I can make my myself available for you and Eva! Sunday? xxx

Either Saturday or Sunday is good with me, Eva was just babbling about how much she wanted her first trip outside the tummy to costa ;) xx

Whooping cough vaccine- I've yet to have mine, but remember MW saying it needs to be done between 28-38 weeks.
Did you all have it and did you get any side effects afterwards?
I'm planning to book an appointment for as soon as I can but I've got a wedding to go to at the weekend and I don't want to be ill for it x

Whooping cough vaccine- I've yet to have mine, but remember MW saying it needs to be done between 28-38 weeks. Did you all have it and did you get any side effects afterwards? I'm planning to book an appointment for as soon as I can but I've got a wedding to go to at the weekend and I don't want to be ill for it x

Other than a dead arm for a few hours I was fine, I had my flu jab done same day in the tort arm :)

I need to ask my MW about that, I'm gonna get some of those ready made bottles anyway as they'll come in handy for the first few days when we are adjusting to baby! Got it! I wasn't going to but I've got all TT bottles and I had some vouchers to use for ToysRus and it was on offer anyway so I got it really cheap and I remember you saying how good it was! All I've got left to buy is the formula now, going for Aptimal x

We got the little bottles with teats for the hospital, they were a godsend. The ready made bigger bottles are about 7oz but the little ones are 3oz and baby only takes a few ml to start with anyway. It was so much easier than all the women who were making formula. We fed it at room temperature too, so no waiting about for it to heat up :) x

Whooping cough vaccine- I've yet to have mine, but remember MW saying it needs to be done between 28-38 weeks.
I'm planning to book an appointment for as soon as I can but I've got a wedding to go to at the weekend and I don't want to be ill for it x

You shouldn't be ill for it, and I had it around 32 weeks I think. Ha da bit of a bruise/achey arm but nothing else xx

Your baby selfie looks good-plenty more growing to be done there! :)

Whooping cough vaccine- I've yet to have mine, but remember MW saying it needs to be done between 28-38 weeks. Did you all have it and did you get any side effects afterwards? I'm planning to book an appointment for as soon as I can but I've got a wedding to go to at the weekend and I don't want to be ill for it x

I wasn't ill at all x

I didn't have any vaccines at all during pregnancy so can't help...
Re bottles, my hospital provided them n we bought 2 cases for at home :)
Baby takes so little in the first couple of weeks so the bigger ones are wasted (u have to throw them after an hour!!) so I bought the ones from the hospital shop which are 70ml... So handy!!!
Eabha only drinks room temp bottles even now. J never heated them as she was drinking room temp with no issues in the hospital

It isn't a live vaccine AFAIK so it shouldn't make you ill. I had a sore arm but that was it :)

Yeah the little starter packs are great and dead easy to use as well.

I don't know whether you lot would appreciate an update but it might be a bit tmi...? Ah well.
Remember I had an op a month or two ago to sort out 'down there' after my epis? Well, went back last week and all is healed well and we can recommence DTD when we want to! :s
However, have been recommended to have an elective section next time we have a baby to ensure no risk of damage. Which makes complete sense to me and wouldn't want to risk any long term problems...but, a bit of me (not the rational, sensible midwife but the hormonal mummy) sort of wants to give it a go again and see if I can do it on my own! Is that stupid? I am well aware when I'm being rational that the likelihood is I would have a back to back labour with a big baby again (as my mum did with both of us), and may well require help again, both with the drip and at the end having ventouse or forceps again. But a little voice in the back of my head is saying could you do it though? Are you capable?
Arghhhh! I know I'm being silly. I guess I just think as a midwife I should be able to have a normal birth! Especially when all my friends did/have! No-one had had a section apart from 1 who had a breech baby but she then had a successful vbac 2nd time-turned up to the Hosp fully dilated!
That said I could never go to the birth centre or have a water birth as I bled so badly and was group b strep so would likely be hooked up on lw anyway.
I dunno girls. Just feeling a bit meh about it. That said there would not have been a baby 2 if I hadn't had it done.
Benn thinks I'm bonkers. He was so upset the last time that this elective he sees as being fab. Plus we can sort childcare out for abster, we can plan his pat leave properly, it just makes life easier. So why do I feel slightly put out.....:(
Sorry for the massive rant! X

Yeah the little starter packs are great and dead easy to use as well.

I don't know whether you lot would appreciate an update but it might be a bit tmi...? Ah well.
Remember I had an op a month or two ago to sort out 'down there' after my epis? Well, went back last week and all is healed well and we can recommence DTD when we want to! :s
However, have been recommended to have an elective section next time we have a baby to ensure no risk of damage. Which makes complete sense to me and wouldn't want to risk any long term problems...but, a bit of me (not the rational, sensible midwife but the hormonal mummy) sort of wants to give it a go again and see if I can do it on my own! Is that stupid? I am well aware when I'm being rational that the likelihood is I would have a back to back labour with a big baby again (as my mum did with both of us), and may well require help again, both with the drip and at the end having ventouse or forceps again. But a little voice in the back of my head is saying could you do it though? Are you capable?
Arghhhh! I know I'm being silly. I guess I just think as a midwife I should be able to have a normal birth! Especially when all my friends did/have! No-one had had a section apart from 1 who had a breech baby but she then had a successful vbac 2nd time-turned up to the Hosp fully dilated!
That said I could never go to the birth centre or have a water birth as I bled so badly and was group b strep so would likely be hooked up on lw anyway.
I dunno girls. Just feeling a bit meh about it. That said there would not have been a baby 2 if I hadn't had it done.
Benn thinks I'm bonkers. He was so upset the last time that this elective he sees as being fab. Plus we can sort childcare out for abster, we can plan his pat leave properly, it just makes life easier. So why do I feel slightly put out.....:(
Sorry for the massive rant! X

I feel exactly the same. I know it's different as I didn't have any problems with my epi but the midwife said if I had GD again I'd have a good case to request an elective section with all that happened last time which, in theory, sounds good. Like you say, childcare and paternity leave would be easier. But I feel cheated that I had to be induced then had to have forceps with a spinal block so I don't feel like I did any of it myself. I wanted the whole going into labour at home thing and actually pushing him out and having him put straight on me and if I do have GD next time they'll suggest inducing me again, which I really don't want. I know you can refuse to be induced and they would monitor me more but I don't want to go into labour in a hospital bed, I want to be at home for part of it. Plus I don't want to put my baby at risk by refusing to be induced. That's why I'm doing everything I can to prevent GD again, although obviously I know if it happens there's not a lot I can do about it. I completely understand where you're coming from. An elective is best in terms of recovery, apparently, but I feel (and this is just my opinion) that I didn't give birth 'properly' with Cole so I want to at least try it with the next as we'll only be having two, and that's assuming we'll be lucky enough to get pregnant again. I can see why you feel put out. I don't know what to suggest in terms of whether you should go ahead with an elective for your next baby but wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who feels like it and it definitely doesn't sound stupid xx

Completely understand where ur coming from... N u PROBABLY could do it... But then am sure they wouldn't suggest a planned section if they didn't think the risk was that high... Saying that Am clearly not very educated in all this where as u wud be...

That's good to hear about the vaccine, I'll get that booked ASAP!

Re: bottles, I was thinking the little ready made ones would be best for hospital so I'll def grab some of those but I will check with MW tomorrow as to weather or not they provide milk at the hospital x

You shouldn't be ill for it, and I had it around 32 weeks I think. Ha da bit of a bruise/achey arm but nothing else xx

Your baby selfie looks good-plenty more growing to be done there! :)
Can it get any bigger?!?!

I feel exactly the same. I know it's different as I didn't have any problems with my epi but the midwife said if I had GD again I'd have a good case to request an elective section with all that happened last time which, in theory, sounds good. Like you say, childcare and paternity leave would be easier. But I feel cheated that I had to be induced then had to have forceps with a spinal block so I don't feel like I did any of it myself. I wanted the whole going into labour at home thing and actually pushing him out and having him put straight on me and if I do have GD next time they'll suggest inducing me again, which I really don't want. I know you can refuse to be induced and they would monitor me more but I don't want to go into labour in a hospital bed, I want to be at home for part of it. Plus I don't want to put my baby at risk by refusing to be induced. That's why I'm doing everything I can to prevent GD again, although obviously I know if it happens there's not a lot I can do about it. I completely understand where you're coming from. An elective is best in terms of recovery, apparently, but I feel (and this is just my opinion) that I didn't give birth 'properly' with Cole so I want to at least try it with the next as we'll only be having two, and that's assuming we'll be lucky enough to get pregnant again. I can see why you feel put out. I don't know what to suggest in terms of whether you should go ahead with an elective for your next baby but wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who feels like it and it definitely doesn't sound stupid xx

I agree Sarah, wholeheartedly. I don't feel I 'did' it properly, I slept throughout most of my 'active' labour as I had my epidural and was so knackered and the only part I could do I failed at and needed help!
I will have a section next time, I well know what might happen if I don't, and I just need to deal with it that I can't have a normal birth. I guess it would be no different if I had fractured my pelvis or something and couldn't birth normally!
Re your GD you might not get it next time! And as you say, losing weight will help. An they will be expecting it so will monitor you from the start.
It's hard isn't it? The things we do for our little munchkins. Thanks for understanding. Knew you lot would!
Xx

Another one who mucked up giving birth here! I didn't even get to push properly, it really upset me after all the effort and pain of the previous few days to end up with an emergency section. If I had another one would I want a vbac? I dunno, what I do know is that I don't want to end up with another emergency section and if I do get lucky enough to have baby no 2 I will probably be asking for an elective as tbh I will do anything to avoid another emergency section!

I can completely see where you're coming from Susie - it's that feeling of wanting up put it right, to have the birth you wanted the first time. You're definitely not alone. xxx

Completely understand where ur coming from... N u PROBABLY could do it... But then am sure they wouldn't suggest a planned section if they didn't think the risk was that high... Saying that Am clearly not very educated in all this where as u wud be...

No Frances you're right, they wouldn't suggest it if they didn't think it was important. And I might be able to do it! But I wouldn't risk it. There is no guarantee they would be able to mend me again. And that would be for life! So I will go with their advice. But as Sarah said, I feel a bit cheated. But I've got our lovely little Abigail to show for it and some people are not so lucky. An we might not be so lucky to have another.
So I won't moan any more! And be grateful for what I've got!

Susie I totally understand where your coming from. If for whatever reason an ELCS was offered to me with no 2, I know id be really upset. Although I did a good job of pushing Amelia out, my labour was far from how I wanted it to be. I was induced for a start, and like Sarah said - i wanted that whole going into labour thing at home, having baths etc and to "feel" more. I am a little gutted I was numb whilst pushing as I never felt that urge - I was told when to push. I really wish now (looking back) Id had a MW at the beginning of my labour to help try and calm me down, slow my breathing and "try" to relax during contractions. The MW i had at this stage wasnt very helpful. Because I was so panicked by the pain and the intensity (plus i was nackered) this prompted my decision for an epi.

Next time Im determined it will be a different experience - Id feel quite upset if I was told I couldnt "put it right" so to speak. I definitely understand hun xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Another one who mucked up giving birth here! I didn't even get to push properly, it really upset me after all the effort and pain of the previous few days to end up with an emergency section. If I had another one would I want a vbac? I dunno, what I do know is that I don't want to end up with another emergency section and if I do get lucky enough to have baby no 2 I will probably be asking for an elective as tbh I will do anything to avoid another emergency section!

I can completely see where you're coming from Susie - it's that feeling of wanting up put it right, to have the birth you wanted the first time. You're definitely not alone. xxx

Yeah you're right Sarah. I'm sure when the time comes it will be fine and I will feel fine about it. I'm just feeling a bit sad about it in advance!
That said, my friend has just said
Everyone has things they can or can't do and you have to deal with it, it's life, and you do what's best for you and baby. Sounds harsh but I get where she is coming from. She couldn't bf though she tried so hard as it was something she desperately wanted to do. She was a bit more successful with her second but not much and she ff both hers from about 2 weeks as they hadn't even started to regain their bw by then. She says it still gets to her now and she wonders if she had a third would she be able to/would she even try as it upset her so much knowing it wasn't working even a little bit. She pushed her 2 out with no trouble at all whereas I didn't. But I bf fine and she didn't.
So I guess it's give and take and as we have said about our little bundles everyone is different. And our decisions and choices are just that. It's just hard being a mummy isn't it?!?
Jeez, none of us have reached first bdays yet-imagine what we've still got left to discover/worry about/decide on.....look forward to...... :)

Night all. Thanks for being fab as always xx

Back