Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Just remember using a dummy or bottle does give nipple confusion and could cause issues with latching on.

If your nipples are flat - the breast pump can help pull them out, also if you pinch and pull your nipples it will help pull them out and make it easier to latch baby on .. There is something called a latch assist
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00112EIWW?pc_redir=1398260469&robot_redir=1

With my 1st baby I had flattish nipples and the week before I was due my midwife (New Zealand midwife) advised I use the breast pump to help pull them out - which did help :)

I hope the info is helpful :)

Ladies who breast feed how long did you wait before expressing ? My midwife said to avoid as long as possible so that baby does not get confused between the sucking motion of a teat and a nipple but my boobs are so sore I would really like to try giving a few feeds by bottle just at nighttime. I also have to take ruby out on Sunday where it might not be appropriate to breast feed. I'm just worried that if I start giving her the odd expressed bottle that she may not go back onto bf. thanks in advance
I think it depends on baby for nipple confusion as mine takes bottle, boob and dummy fine. Have you looked at the breastfeeding covers too? Mothercare sells a good bebe au lait one. I prefer expressing for going out in public though, just find it easier! X

It is very definitely your choice. I'm sure you have, but Have you explained why not? And that if you were bfing she wouldn't be able to? How old is she? Not that it matters as such I guess xx

I've told her why, I've also explained because she smokes I don't want Eva breathing that in for an hour, it's horrible, Eva is now 4 weeks old xx

It's totally YOUR choice!! Maybe shes a bit gutted as wanted to feed her granddaughter but it's your baby and you choice as to why you decide on things. Just explain next time, she should understand. Xx

Pete's let my mum feed her twice so
It's not like she's never done it, I've tried explaining she won't have it! Xx

I've told her why, I've also explained because she smokes I don't want Eva breathing that in for an hour, it's horrible, Eva is now 4 weeks old xx

Pete's let my mum feed her twice so
It's not like she's never done it, I've tried explaining she won't have it! Xx

So she's still tiny then?!! And I def get the smoking thing, I would be the same. Guess you will have to stick with it....maybe she will stop for her granddaughter! Hugs though, can't have been an easy conversation! Xx

So she's still tiny then?!! And I def get the smoking thing, I would be the same. Guess you will have to stick with it....maybe she will stop for her granddaughter! Hugs though, can't have been an easy conversation! Xx

Still tiny :) I will stick with by my guns and she either can like it or lump it.. The conversation was awkward about the smoking and then she went and had a fag though :-/

I 100% get the smoking thing. This was a huge issue for me with Jonathan while I was pregnant too. He made a promise when we were ttc to quit if/when I got my bfp. He didn't!! We had so many arguments throughout. Come New Year's Day he quit! Cold turkey I might add. N hasn't looked back. So proud of him :)

The chemicals etc are on their clothes, in their hair etc n are still harmful. The only way for them not to be is to shower n change!!!

Hopefully she comes round n Realises its ur baby, ur rules. I'm sure she wouldn't have liked ppl forcing her yo do thing with her babies she didn't like/agree with

I'm officially classed as full term TOMORROW :eek: :eek: x

I totally understand the smoking thing too.
I was a smoker but when I was in a car accident I had no choice but to quit with been so injured and sedated!

Now I cannot stand it and feel guilty how rob had to put up with the stink on me! I don't know how he did to be honest.

So luckily I was already stopped when we went on to having Jacob and this little one.
My mums a smoker and hate it. We(siblings) stress at her all the time to stop but still never has....

I'm officially classed as full term TOMORROW :eek: :eek: x
Yey! I'm just over 2 weeks from full term...

Currently waiting to see the consultant, see how things are going with little baba :)

Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

I totally understand the smoking thing too.
I was a smoker but when I was in a car accident I had no choice but to quit with been so injured and sedated!

Now I cannot stand it and feel guilty how rob had to put up with the stink on me! I don't know how he did to be honest.

So luckily I was already stopped when we went on to having Jacob and this little one.
My mums a smoker and hate it. We(siblings) stress at her all the time to stop but still never has....

Yey! I'm just over 2 weeks from full term...

Currently waiting to see the consultant, see how things are going with little baba :)

I just basically told Jonathan straight... if we have a baby/babies.. They need their Daddy to be their while they grow up.. And into their adult years...
And then explained to him how I blame my Mam for her missing out on my life.. She died when I was 26 from lung Cancer.. She made the choice to light and smoke each and every cigarette she smoked.. Even with knowing what risk she was taking.. So in my eyes, even as an adult, is that she chose death over us.. And her grandchildren.. Éabha will never meet her Nana because of that choice my Mam made.. I didn't have my Mam to guide and help me through pregnancy and motherhood because of her choice...

Put bluntly from someone who's been on the mourning end hit home with him.. And he's kicked the habit!! It was the toughest thing he's ever done (his words) but Éabha is worth it (again, his words)
Initially he was carrying around a scan pic in his wallet so when the cravings were tough he would remind himself why he was doing it...

I 100% get the smoking thing. This was a huge issue for me with Jonathan while I was pregnant too. He made a promise when we were ttc to quit if/when I got my bfp. He didn't!! We had so many arguments throughout. Come New Year's Day he quit! Cold turkey I might add. N hasn't looked back. So proud of him :) The chemicals etc are on their clothes, in their hair etc n are still harmful. The only way for them not to be is to shower n change!!! Hopefully she comes round n Realises its ur baby, ur rules. I'm sure she wouldn't have liked ppl forcing her yo do thing with her babies she didn't like/agree with
I totally understand the smoking thing too. I was a smoker but when I was in a car accident I had no choice but to quit with been so injured and sedated! Now I cannot stand it and feel guilty how rob had to put up with the stink on me! I don't know how he did to be honest. So luckily I was already stopped when we went on to having Jacob and this little one. My mums a smoker and hate it. We(siblings) stress at her all the time to stop but still never has.... Yey! I'm just over 2 weeks from full term... Currently waiting to see the consultant, see how things are going with little baba :) Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins

I was smoker up until the day I found out I was pregnant and I stopped straight away, apparently according to my mum I'm a typical ex smoker and that's the only reason I'm so funny about, well maybe but still it's horrible, she had COPD so you think for the sake of all of her grandchildren and seeing them grow up she would give it up but no the cigarettes seem more important..

Hope all is well at the consultant app Jess xx

That's awful France's and Emma, I too would of thought they'd quit but I guess now like my mum. She says so many times she will but never ever has. Tbh I don't think she's bothered about quitting.

Me and my sis have her first grandbabies 2 days apart and that never got her to quit so don't think she ever will. Whereas Jacobs grandad on Robs side quit the day we told him he was becoming a grandad....

Appointment went great thanks, still head down. Looking nice and healthy!

That's awful France's and Emma, I too would of thought they'd quit but I guess now like my mum. She says so many times she will but never ever has. Tbh I don't think she's bothered about quitting.

Me and my sis have her first grandbabies 2 days apart and that never got her to quit so don't think she ever will. Whereas Jacobs grandad on Robs side quit the day we told him he was becoming a grandad....

Appointment went great thanks, still head down. Looking nice and healthy!

My mam never thought about quitting either. She straight out said she'd no intention. I guess she thought, like many, it won't happen to me. But it did!
Anyway... No more sad talk... We each have our beautiful littluns and we each put them first :D

Aww Frances that's lovely about J and the scan pic :)

Aww Frances that's lovely about J and the scan pic :)

agree, hes done amazing to quit! I know how hard it is... if i didnt from my accident then i for sure would of done when i found out i was pregnant with Jacob!!

Anyway hope everyones little ones are doing ok, Ive noticed alot been ill/having colds! xx

My friend whose due date is the 20th May (3 days after me) is in very slow labour!! So her little lady could be here within a few days!
Really excited for her and also wishing it was me! Hopefully I haven't got long to wait :)

agree, hes done amazing to quit! I know how hard it is... if i didnt from my accident then i for sure would of done when i found out i was pregnant with Jacob!!

Anyway hope everyones little ones are doing ok, Ive noticed alot been ill/having colds! xx
My little lady has had a cold the last 5 r 6 days :(
She's OK though.. no temp and its not affecting her too much.. Just a little kinda chesty.. Its lingering, not getting worse or better but I rang PHN n its apparently due to the time of year..

Random question, but does anyone know how/if, I can try and stop Abigail from pooing at night? Most nights recently without fail, she has pooed at around 4am. It wakes her up obviously, we change her and then she goes back to sleep and we are wide awake for hours. It's killing me! We are so out of practice with her waking in the night and I'm back to work this week!!

I have this problem too Suzie ..

Ruby poos during atleast one of her night feeds it's such a faf because after her feed she's so tired and then changing her makes her all unsettled again .

I'm not sure there is much that can be done :/

Back