Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

It's hard to get rear facing car seats over here, other than the baby carriers. My car seat says from 20lbs and Cole is more than that. He's not going in it yet though, I was just wondering for when he's ready. More often than not I leave his car seat in the car and carry him. Cole plus car seat equals sore arms!!!

Ah well as long as he's over the min weight he's good to go
It was something mentioned on a fb page I'm on. Think it's a new law due to come in next year... Only half paid attention as its not yet relevant to me. As by time it's brought in É will n over r very the age... Someone was asking about deals on seats so someone else mentioned the new rule so ppl didnt have to buy a new seat again when it's introduced

Ah well as long as he's over the min weight he's good to go It was something mentioned on a fb page I'm on. Think it's a new law due to come in next year... Only half paid attention as its not yet relevant to me. As by time it's brought in É will n over r very the age... Someone was asking about deals on seats so someone else mentioned the new rule so ppl didnt have to buy a new seat again when it's introduced

I googled, there's talk of a new European legislation that means they must be rear facing until 15 months. And it'll be height dependant rather than weight. Some sites say it's active now, others hint at 2015. So non the wiser. Gonna check with Mothercare :)

I googled, there's talk of a new European legislation that means they must be rear facing until 15 months. And it'll be height dependant rather than weight. Some sites say it's active now, others hint at 2015. So non the wiser. Gonna check with Mothercare :)

Hmmm given we need to buy one then we will hopefully be told what we need. Oliver is over 20kg so could feasibly be in one now but may try wait a month or two. We don't do long journeys so not massively uncomfortable for him, he just sweats a lot in it but that could be the same with all car seats x

Hmmm given we need to buy one then we will hopefully be told what we need. Oliver is over 20kg so could feasibly be in one now but may try wait a month or two. We don't do long journeys so not massively uncomfortable for him, he just sweats a lot in it but that could be the same with all car seats x

20kg?! Crikey :p ;) haha

Think I need to look into it to see if it's law or just recommended. Could so without having to fork out for another car seat!x

I reckon I'll have the same issue before long, given that Oliver was 12lbs 7oz at 6 weeks old :eek:
We have 2 car seats (2 cars!) and the Mama & Papa's one Oliver really sweats in, but the Graco he doesn't.
I've heard that they must be rear facing up to 18 months!
Hubby can put Oliver in front in his car as he can turn of the airbags, I can't do that in mine so I have to put him in the back.

I reckon I'll have the same issue before long, given that Oliver was 12lbs 7oz at 6 weeks old :eek: We have 2 car seats (2 cars!) and the Mama & Papa's one Oliver really sweats in, but the Graco he doesn't. I've heard that they must be rear facing up to 18 months! Hubby can put Oliver in front in his car as he can turn of the airbags, I can't do that in mine so I have to put him in the back.

Me and Tom have just googled and it's a recommendation at the minute that they stay rear facing for 15 months but eventually it'll replace the old law and it will be the law for car seats. Luckily we've got a mirror for the rear headrest so we can always see him :)

Me and Tom have just googled and it's a recommendation at the minute that they stay rear facing for 15 months but eventually it'll replace the old law and it will be the law for car seats. Luckily we've got a mirror for the rear headrest so we can always see him :)

They must be making new car seats then surely? As there is no way Abigail would still fit in hers now, she's just too tall. And she's only 13months x

They must be making new car seats then surely? As there is no way Abigail would still fit in hers now, she's just too tall. And she's only 13months x

It's called I-size. Maxi Cosi have made a seat that's compliant so far. I found it on this website. So far it's running alongside the current rules but will eventually replace it. X

http://i-size.org.uk

It's called I-size. Maxi Cosi have made a seat that's compliant so far. I found it on this website. So far it's running alongside the current rules but will eventually replace it. X http://i-size.org.uk

Interesting. Money making scheme perhaps because most babies won't fit in their newborn car seat so then need to buy another one and then I recogn a lot of babies won't want to be rear seated when they are 2 years so then buy another one. Hmmm.

Mmm indeed penny! I would be interested to see how you're supposed to fit a four year olds legs in the second stage one!
We have a maxi cosi at present with the isofix base and it is very good I have to say, very sturdy and easy for the in laws to fit rather than faffing with a belt and I see the logic of making all seats use isofix but all rear facing til age 4.....that surely puts the lid on nursery trips in minibuses, coach trips with playgroups, etc etc. mmm.

Mmm indeed penny! I would be interested to see how you're supposed to fit a four year olds legs in the second stage one! We have a maxi cosi at present with the isofix base and it is very good I have to say, very sturdy and easy for the in laws to fit rather than faffing with a belt and I see the logic of making all seats use isofix but all rear facing til age 4.....that surely puts the lid on nursery trips in minibuses, coach trips with playgroups, etc etc. mmm.

Oliver still has some room at the top in his current one so will use that for time being. Could do without sending £100 on another car seat quite yet. A lot of friends have the maxi cosi stage one seats and speak highly of them. We have the graco evo one to go with the travel system.

Girls u can buy the next seat in rear facing already. They've been around ages. (Here anyway) just it's not mandatory so it's preference really. There's a few u can get

They turn so when baby is old enough it can b turned to front facing

Susie it's til 18 months... Not age 4??? Or have I missed something??

Girls u can buy the next seat in rear facing already. They've been around ages. (Here anyway) just it's not mandatory so it's preference really. There's a few u can get They turn so when baby is old enough it can b turned to front facing Susie it's til 18 months... Not age 4??? Or have I missed something??

I haven't properly looked but don't think they are common in the shops here.

Hey ladies, just a bit of advise regarding swings. Mia has been a bit unsettled past few days mostly at night. I put her in her swing yesterday and she seemed to go longer between feeds n seemed really content. it's the chad valley one, it supports her head and I can fasten her in. anyway so last night when I went to bed she seemed unsettled so I tried her in her swing n she slept really well only waking every 3hrs 15 for feeds. am I being really bad letting her sleep in it? just wondering whether it's the reflux thing making her not want to lay flat in her basket cos she does sometimes bring milk up. Anyone else found that ur baby sleeps better in swing/bouncer? oh and I don't have it swinging while she's asleep xx

Regarding car seats I have the joie stages it can be rear facing up until 4 years (no idea where the child is supposed to put their legs) and then can be turned around used as a car seat with a 3 point harness and eventually changes into a booster seat using the car seat belt!
Bought it as wasnt sure when the law was coming in. Had to turn my little boy around at 9 1/2 months anyway as he used to scream and cry non stop in his seat rear facing :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Kerry would u try tilting the basket at one end so she's not completely flat?? We always had Éabhas basket tilted n she slept great. Not sure about her sleeping in the swing tbh. Not sure if it'd effect her posture r anything as its not quite flat??!! But I'm sure if it was the only way I got sleep if prob try it.... :-/

Re car seats again (u girls will hate me)
Was told yesterday (on another fb page) car seats have a life of 5 from date manufactured!! Should b printed/embossed somewhere on your seat... The plastic degrades over time n doesn't give enough support in the event of an accident.....

Hey ladies, just a bit of advise regarding swings. Mia has been a bit unsettled past few days mostly at night. I put her in her swing yesterday and she seemed to go longer between feeds n seemed really content. it's the chad valley one, it supports her head and I can fasten her in. anyway so last night when I went to bed she seemed unsettled so I tried her in her swing n she slept really well only waking every 3hrs 15 for feeds. am I being really bad letting her sleep in it? just wondering whether it's the reflux thing making her not want to lay flat in her basket cos she does sometimes bring milk up. Anyone else found that ur baby sleeps better in swing/bouncer? oh and I don't have it swinging while she's asleep xx

Cole had reflux so we couldn't get him to sleep on his back for ages. We tilted the top of his crib and laid him slightly on his side so he wasn't flat with a rolled up towel under his sheet behind him. We alternated sides each night too so he wasn't always laying on one side. He was fine until he rolled onto his back through wiggling then would cry again but it was better than nothing and gradually he started rolling himself forwards until he started sleeping on his tummy. Since then we've not looked back.

Cole used to sleep in a vibrating chair in the day but because it wasn't flat I made sure he had plenty of day time playing on his back under his mat. He would happily lay on his back to play, just not in his crib. You do what you need to do to get them to sleep. I don't think they advise it in the long term though, unless it's flat I'd probably follow the same rules as car seats but that's because I'm paranoid about everything! Haha x

Thanks for the replies girls, so do u just tilt it with blankets underneath? I will try this as I don't want her in her swing all the time. Can't be good for her back xx

Back