Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I think the growth spurt may be over .. Yay!!! she was at my mums yesterday n actually slept for 4 hrs n then every 3 hrs or so between feeds. Last night she went down at 10.40- 3.40 then fed again at 7.20 , 10.10 and now she's sleeping and due feed 1.10 ish :) ... Did to find babies slept more after a growth spurt? For couple wk's she has been awake pretty much all day n very grouchy unless sleepin. it's been so hard work lol xx

I think the growth spurt may be over .. Yay!!! she was at my mums yesterday n actually slept for 4 hrs n then every 3 hrs or so between feeds. Last night she went down at 10.40- 3.40 then fed again at 7.20 , 10.10 and now she's sleeping and due feed 1.10 ish :) ... Did to find babies slept more after a growth spurt? For couple wk's she has been awake pretty much all day n very grouchy unless sleepin. it's been so hard work lol xx

For a couple says but she's prob reaching the point where she's awake more than asleep in the day. This is when the tough work starts

For a couple says but she's prob reaching the point where she's awake more than asleep in the day. This is when the tough work starts

I don't mind her being awake, it's just she was having days where she wasn't happy when she was awake. Xx

I need some advice and opinions on sleep and routines please ladies...

Oliver is 12 weeks old, he currently has 5x 7oz bottles a day, the last of which is usually around 10-11pm.
He has another around 3-4am and then again at 7-8am, lunch is 12-1pm and dinner is 5-6pm.

We've started to put him in his cot the last 2 nights (outgrown his Moses basket) and he's been really good, sticking to his feeding routine...
But how do we get him to sleep though the night?
Our friends' daughter is 2 days younger than Oliver and has slept through the night (12 whole hours!!) since 5 weeks old!! She's on 6oz bottles I believe and has them every 3-4 hours during the day...

The thing is, Oliver CAN go more than 6 hours between feeds as he's done it loads of times during the day, but never the evening...
For example today- he had his last bottle at 6:15am and hasn't yet had anymore!! That's over 7 hours!!
I know he had his jabs yesterday so it could be down to that but he has done it before..

What I'd like to know, is am I supposed to wake him for milk or do I let him sleep and have it when he wants it?
Plus there's the fact that on quite a number of occasions lately, he's woken at 4am but only takes 3oz of milk and goes back to sleep... Suggesting he doesn't actually need it and is waking up because it's 'time'.
Do I try other things like water, nappy change, winding, dummy, etc??
As I type he's just woken up from his nap but he's still not asking for milk, however I'm gonna try him with some...

Any advice/tips?? X

I never woke Thomas for feeds, he always woke me lol
Thomas just stopped waking for his night feed but I know some babies continue to wake from habit and if you give them water instead of milk they will stop waking for it quite soon. Just as long as you're sure he's not needing the milk x

I don't think you can "get" him to sleep through. He's waking coz he's hungry. He'll let u know when he doesn't need the night feed anymore. I would imagine it'll b soon but it really depends on him n his appetite
We managed to cut the 3am feed by dream feeding when Éabha was about 12 /13 weeks
Done that got a few weeks then dropped that too. But not all babies wil take a dream feed

I never let Éabha sleep more than 4 hours in the day as I found it disturbed her night time. I'd wake n feed her every 4 hours but I NEVER woke her at night. That's just what worked for us though... She slept pretty good though from the get go

Cole was 20 weeks before he first slept through but then with the reflux and everything he ended up not sleeping through constantly until he was just over 5 months.
In my opinion if he's waking in the night then he needs feeding. If he was 6+ months old then it could be a habit thing but I personally would still feed him milk rather than water at such a young age. Maybe ask your HV to see what they think?

Girls how long after you think you dropped did you give birth? I swear I've dropped over the last week, but prob doesn't mean much
Pics of 34,36,and today at 37 well I'm 37 tommorow but yeah x

Attachments

• image-185383992.jpg
    image-185383992.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 54
Girls how long after you think you dropped did you give birth? I swear I've dropped over the last week, but prob doesn't mean much Pics of 34,36,and today at 37 well I'm 37 tommorow but yeah x

Hope its soon! Shes been down at least three weeks head down, maybe more feel like i need to go to the toilet all the time even tho i don't! But on the plus side when she moved i was able to breathe!!

Thanks for the replies...
Oliver still suffers with colic so I'm guessing that doesn't help with sleeping through... Plus he's a bit of a night owl like his daddy lol!
And he's always has a very healthy appetite, he weighs almost 15lbs and does enjoy his milk...
I always try water before every feed anyway (something HV told me to do) and he does take some at the 4am feed but always seems to went milk too...

Can someone explain dream feeding? I may sound stupid but I don't understand it lol!!

Anyway he guzzled down 5oz then brought an oz back up (that's becoming more frequent lately), bath and now asleep again.. Think it's the jabs making him so unsettled and he didn't sleep much at all yesterday so think he's making up for it today...

Girls how long after you think you dropped did you give birth? I swear I've dropped over the last week, but prob doesn't mean much
Pics of 34,36,and today at 37 well I'm 37 tommorow but yeah x
I dropped quite early (or so everyone kept telling me!) but I still went 10 days overdue!
I don't think it means much tbh...

I never even heard of dream feeds til I had Éabha. Never mind understand it lol
Literally it's to pick him up while aslee n feeding him
Éabha would go down at 7 n at about 10 (my bedtime) I'd pick her up n feed her. She wasn't into it at all at first so I left n went back a couple weeks later.
To avoid trapped wind r anything I'd hold her asleep on my shoulder for 20 mins before putting her down. N I'd only change her nappy if it felt it needed it. If it did I'd do that then feed... So the feed would settle her back without much disturbance

Éabha would go down at 7 n at about 10 (my bedtime) I'd pick her up n feed her. She wasn't into it at all at first so I left n went back a couple weeks later.
To avoid trapped wind r anything I'd hold her asleep on my shoulder for 20 mins before putting her down. N I'd only change her nappy if it felt it needed it. If it did I'd do that then feed... So the feed would settle her back without much disturbance
Hmm I can't see how this would work cos as soon as I pick him up, he's awake! And then gets grumpy!!
So I don't think I'll try it...
Just continue to feed him when he wants it...

Kirsty I don't know if it would help it if Oliver would take it but Ben has 3-4 hourly bottles in the day. If he misses one or goes longer he wakes in the night so if he's asleep I tend to start making him less cozy around the 3.5 hour mark I.e put him down unwrap him a bit/ make some noise.
Dream feeding is if say he goes to sleep at 8 and doesn't wake for a bottle until 4 then you try and give him a bottle in his sleep say around 10.30 when you go to bed. Never really worked for us as Ben has his last bottle at 10 so it would mean us staying awake till past midnight to get another in.
The other thing that made a difference to us is we changed to anti reflux formula, maybe a coincidence but from that day he slept through until we hit the 4 month sleep regression. Maybe u could try the comfort milk if he had colic xx

Just out of interest, when she goes down at 7, what time was her bottle before that?
I'm just trying to work out if it's worth a go...

Kirsty I don't know if it would help it if Oliver would take it but Ben has 3-4 hourly bottles in the day. If he misses one or goes longer he wakes in the night so if he's asleep I tend to start making him less cozy around the 3.5 hour mark I.e put him down unwrap him a bit/ make some noise.
Dream feeding is if say he goes to sleep at 8 and doesn't wake for a bottle until 4 then you try and give him a bottle in his sleep say around 10.30 when you go to bed. Never really worked for us as Ben has his last bottle at 10 so it would mean us staying awake till past midnight to get another in.
The other thing that made a difference to us is we changed to anti reflux formula, maybe a coincidence but from that day he slept through until we hit the 4 month sleep regression. Maybe u could try the comfort milk if he had colic xx
Even if Oliver has all his bottles during the day i.e. 4x 7oz bottles, he still asks for one at 3/4am...
And I did try feeding him after 3.5 hours the other day and he didn't want it.. He goes 5 hours between and seems happy with that...
Dream feeding could work, but he rarely falls asleep at 8- he's a night owl like his daddy and doesn't usually go to sleep until 9ish... And sometimes later than that, he often has his 10pm feed before he'll even consider sleep... And then we'd have the same problem as you pointed out...
I asked HV about comfort milk but she wasn't keen on the idea and his colic is so much better now... I see her beginning of Sept, I'll ask her again...
Thanks for the reply xx

Back