Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I'm thinking ahead to the dreaded C word and wondering what you recommend for a 7 month old?
MIL is getting Oliver a jumperoo, we want to buy him a bath seat and maybe a ball pit... Other than clothes I don't really know what else as it's hard to know what he'll be capable of doing then (i.e sitting up, crawling, etc)
Any thoughts?

Ah yes I've seen loads of those when I was in ToysRus with my mum... Might even get him a walker too as he's already very strong on his legs and I get a feeling he won't be a crawler!
That's Éabha's age now... She's just got a Jumperoo as I mentioned on my thread (a hand me down from J's brother) which she likes, but I think she'd have got more fun and time out of it if she'd got it younger.. As now she's only interested in being on the floor.. So the jumperoo keeps her entertained just long enough for her Nana to have her lunch.. Then she wants out...
I'm thinking for C i'll pick up things that are age suitable for 18months +
I know they'll be ahead of her as she'll only be 10months then.. but I think she'll get longer out of them...
I put É in a walker at about 1.5 months.. Not for long periods at all.. maybe 5 mins a couple times a day but she loved it from the get go.. She flies around the place in it now...
In her nana's she has loads of colourful toys similar to what Penny posted there and she loves them.. So i'll be following them n getting similar (they've all been left there over the years from various grandkids...)
I'll follow the Want/Need/Wear/Read mantra of Christmas gifts for her.. Altho this year there won't really be a "want" gift so i'll pick it hee hee

I think Oliver would enjoy the jumperoo now and a walker too... Might have to convince MIL to buy it now so he can have it early :)
Knowing her, she'd still want to buy him something else for Xmas day so he has something to open lol! X

I think Oliver would enjoy the jumperoo now and a walker too... Might have to convince MIL to buy it now so he can have it early :)
Knowing her, she'd still want to buy him something else for Xmas day so he has something to open lol! X

Aww.. that'd be perfect.. Just for this year as he'll be none the wiser.. but yes, she probably would insist on giving another little something to open on Christmas Day...
Although he'll still get plenty of use from it from Christmas... Just be nice for him to get as much enjoyment from it as possible.. Especially as they aren't cheap... :)

Aww.. that'd be perfect.. Just for this year as he'll be none the wiser.. but yes, she probably would insist on giving another little something to open on Christmas Day... Although he'll still get plenty of use from it from Christmas... Just be nice for him to get as much enjoyment from it as possible.. Especially as they aren't cheap... :)

Yes I would agree that jumparoo best at younger than 7/8 months. Oliver still uses it and loves it but when he was about 4/5 months he adored it and spent way longer in it than now.

I would say toys that require the baby to press things, open things, make a noise, are all good ideas. Another favourite of Oliver's is this

Attachments

• image-1795638593.jpg
    image-1795638593.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 33
Oh girls... have just sent an email requesting information on how to go about registering Éabha for SCHOOL!!! Cannot believe I'm looking at schools for my LG... Very emotional day today... Can't wait to get home to my girl

Cole loved his jumperoo when he was younger but as soon as he started crawling, just before 8 months, he got fed up of it and won't stay in it now as he wants to be off. With Cole's birthday being 6 days after Christmas we've got him quite a lot of things for 1-2 years and even a few 2+ Years so they'll last him the year. My dad is even getting him a slide so he's got it for summer and we're getting him a 4 in 1 trike so it'll last until he's 3-4. I've told everyone no clothes. Christmas to me is about fun and playing so he'll get things he wants. If he wants clothes when he's older then we'll get him them but we see clothes as a necessity and, as his parents, it's our job to provide them for him. That's just my opinion though, I know a lot of people ask for clothes.

Oh girls... have just sent an email requesting information on how to go about registering Éabha for SCHOOL!!! Cannot believe I'm looking at schools for my LG... Very emotional day today... Can't wait to get home to my girl

I registered Cole in July, just before the end of term. Scary!

Cole loved his jumperoo when he was younger but as soon as he started crawling, just before 8 months, he got fed up of it and won't stay in it now as he wants to be off. With Cole's birthday being 6 days after Christmas we've got him quite a lot of things for 1-2 years and even a few 2+ Years so they'll last him the year. My dad is even getting him a slide so he's got it for summer and we're getting him a 4 in 1 trike so it'll last until he's 3-4. I've told everyone no clothes. Christmas to me is about fun and playing so he'll get things he wants. If he wants clothes when he's older then we'll get him them but we see clothes as a necessity and, as his parents, it's our job to provide them for him. That's just my opinion though, I know a lot of people ask for clothes.

I agree with this.. But while she's small I think clothes are OK.. Although TBH I prefer vouchers as not everyone would share my taste, and I theirs..... But completely agree.. Christmas is for fun and laughter so toys toys toys...

I agree with this.. But while she's small I think clothes are OK.. Although TBH I prefer vouchers as not everyone would share my taste, and I theirs..... But completely agree.. Christmas is for fun and laughter so toys toys toys...

Yeah they won't know for a couple of years but I just don't want people getting into the clothes habit. I remember getting clothes as a kid, I was appalled!! Haha. I want the house full of different toys for him. Not in a spoilt way, but that's what Christmas is about to me :)

I know what you mean about clothes... I think we'll get a few bits but I'd rather have vouchers for places like Next, where the clothes are nicer and we can pick out a few things for when he's older...
I've seen a few Fisher Price toys that I think he'll like... And yeh he isn't gonna know the difference this year... The jumperoo MIL wants to buy is currently half price in ToysRus at the moment so I'll talk her into it :p
Thanks for all the advice ladies- I think this is the first year in a while that I'm so excited for Xmas :) x

I know what you mean about clothes... I think we'll get a few bits but I'd rather have vouchers for places like Next, where the clothes are nicer and we can pick out a few things for when he's older... I've seen a few Fisher Price toys that I think he'll like... And yeh he isn't gonna know the difference this year... The jumperoo MIL wants to buy is currently half price in ToysRus at the moment so I'll talk her into it :p Thanks for all the advice ladies- I think this is the first year in a while that I'm so excited for Xmas :) x

Half price is a bargain. Definitely try to talk her round, he'll love it. X

Half price is a bargain. Definitely try to talk her round, he'll love it. X
It won't take much convincing, she's a first time grandma after all and every time we go round, there's a present for Oliver- she can't resist spoiling him :) x

Ben loves his jumperoo now he rolls across the floor to it then moans until I put him in!
I hadn't even thought of schools is this something I am meant to do?!? Shocked lol xx

School?? :eek:
Here you automatically get the info the September before they start. How old are they there? Here it's the September after they turn 4 xx

School?? :eek: Here you automatically get the info the September before they start. How old are they there? Here it's the September after they turn 4 xx

Glad you say this I thought I'd missed something major xx

We haven't thought about christmas much yet tbh. We got her a happy land fairy cottage from early learning centre last year as it was half price so she will have that. She will likely get an igglepiggle from us/Santa, she loves him that much.
No ideas other than those! Agree toys that can be opened/pulls/buttons pressed etc are great x

It's usually the September after they turn 4 here too but there's no automatic registration. I'm actually late getting in contact compared to most. But as u want a school that isn't our "local" one she'll have to go on a list. Locals n siblings will get first dibs so will have to look into other schools too n get her name down so we have a choice/plan b

This seems to be a big week for Éabha. She's now decided to dance when asked n then she sings la la la la.... She's picking up her water herself n drinking... N saying dada, n baba n heya...

It's usually the September after they turn 4 here too but there's no automatic registration. I'm actually late getting in contact compared to most. But as u want a school that isn't our "local" one she'll have to go on a list. Locals n siblings will get first dibs so will have to look into other schools too n get her name down so we have a choice/plan b This seems to be a big week for Éabha. She's now decided to dance when asked n then she sings la la la la.... She's picking up her water herself n drinking... N saying dada, n baba n heya...

Ahh, well here it's expected you go a local one though you do get 3 choices, there is no list for out of area, it's allocated much as you said, and if there is space at the end of allocating everyone else you might get a space but is by no means guaranteed hence you dot need to worry until the year before they go! People move house, falsify addresses and all sorts to get the school they want. They are getting wise to it now though, you have to provide evidence of addresses and previous addresses etc whereas they used to take people word for it.
Here I think the rules/order is something like:
1)Kids in care
2) siblings of kids in school who are in the catchment area
3) kids in the catchment area
4) siblings out of catchment
5) others out of catchment.

Back